Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent reseller hosting? (other than buyshared) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent reseller hosting? (other than buyshared)

2»

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

@teamacc said:

@WSS said:

@jiggawattz said:
    @Francisco I think @lukehebb could make a mail.domain CNAME that points to his cloudflare-proxied domain, and then you could force a PTR, and then everything will be kosher under Internet Law. Am I wrong?

If he's planning on using it has an MX, it has to be an A record. CNAMEs are explicitly verboten.

CF does fix that through "CNAME flattening": https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169056-CNAME-Flattening-RFC-compliant-support-for-CNAME-at-the-root

This only works for completely Cloudflare hosted DNS, though, with a rather ambiguous "Note: CNAME Flattening does not apply for domains using CNAME setup. In those cases, the root domain and full zone are not using Cloudflare DNS, and cannot benefit from CNAME Flattening." statement, which I'm not sure if this might be the case at hand. However, I, too, learned something today. :)

• @Francisco said:
    Do you remember if you were on a CentOS 7 node? The SSH thing isn't nearly as common on the CentOS 6 ones but the random spats are very much CentOS 7.

I don't remember, but looking at my shell's history the IP address ended up in .66. I'm not sure if I should post the full public IP here, but if you want it just send me a PM.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Please.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • LunarLunar Member
    edited March 2017

After reading this lol I think OP is the one who doesn't understand how a PTR record works and applies to mail.

• lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited March 2017

@Lunar said:
    After reading this lol I think OP is the one who doesn't understand how a PTR record works and applies to mail.

I can safely say i understand how a PTR record works having set them up and managed them for years.

Also being a mail server admin and knowing quirks of Google/Hotmail/Others I know they take it into account sending from a mail server using an IP with no PTR set at all.

I asked for a PTR record to be set and offered to create the associated A record in cloudflare. The support person refused because I use cloudflare. Please tell me the part about me not understanding PTR records?

• LunarLunar Member

@lukehebb said:

@Lunar said:

I can safely say i understand how a PTR record works having set them up and managed them for years.

Also being a mail server admin and knowing quirks of Google/Hotmail/Others I know they take it into account sending from a mail server using an IP with no PTR set at all.

You're using Cloudflare's nginx proxy correct? If so you need to disable that and use their DNS only for the PTR record to be set.

• @Lunar said:

@lukehebb said:

@Lunar said:

You're using Cloudflare's nginx proxy correct? If so you need to disable that and use their DNS only for the PTR record to be set.

Ah, looks like you are lacking in the reading department.

I offered to set up the associated A record, as stated earlier on in the thread I know to disable CF protection for that A record.

I know how to set this up. I aren't dumb.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Lunar said:

As mentioned earlier the client was able to pick a different domain for the PTR.

Francisco

• IshaqIshaq Member

So.. do you want this closed?

• @Ishaq said:
    So.. do you want this closed?

Yes, please close before someone else comes in trying to be abusive and not help at all.

Everything was sorted once I got to speak to @Francisco

This discussion has been closed.