Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$5 Showdown: Linode vs. DigitalOcean vs. Amazon Lightsail vs. Vultr - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$5 Showdown: Linode vs. DigitalOcean vs. Amazon Lightsail vs. Vultr

2»

Comments

• @Maounique said:

bsdguy said: My point was not that indians are somehow stupid, period, end of issue.

If 5 UK residents do a better job than 200 Indian residents, then it means exactly that.

But if those 200 Indians still worship cows, then perhaps they are on a different sociological-economic ladder..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2017

WSS said: But if those 200 Indians still worship cows, then perhaps they are on a different sociological-economic ladder..

That is correct, the same goes for all people which worship differently, so the ban on muslims should also be followed by the ban on cow worshipers, they take more jobs from americans than muslims, after all, also jews have too many places in Congress, they are part of the financial and cultural elite, the globalist government, we must eradicate.

• @Maounique said:

WSS said: But if those 200 Indians still worship cows, then perhaps they are on a different sociological-economic ladder..

That is correct, the same goes for people which worship differently, so the ban on muslims should also be followed by the ban on cow worshipers, they take more jobs from americans than muslims, after all, also jews have too many places in Congress, they are part of the financial and cultural elite, the globalist government, we must eradicate.

So, we're in agreement, then.

FUCK CANADA

edited February 2017

@WSS said:

So, we're in agreement, then.

FUCK CANADA, EU, Norway, Switzerland, New Zealand, etc.

there, fixed it :P

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @Maounique

You see, based on what I've read from you in about 2 years you are an intelligent and knowledgable man. Unfortunately you also demonstrate that stubborness and blind activism can make an intelligent man actand look stupid.

Do I really need to teach you the economy of numbers? When Mr. Smallcorp tries to outsource his support to india (or whereever) he will have to pay a) considerably more and b) a hefty front-up price for basic training wuite probably involving flights, hotel, etc. If, however, Mr. Bigcorp plays the same game, say, 25000$ front up will be next to nothing compared to the savings to be achieved. Plus, bringing in, say 1 Mio support calls per year he will get a much cheaper price.

And, well notes, for both it's not about good support but about cheap support.

As for your remarks re. living costs, etc, who cares? Both, Mr Smallcorp and Mr. Bigcorp pay in $ and they only see absolute numbers - which are way lower in india than is the us of a or in uk.

So, evidently my "cheap" was related to numbers and not to indians as persons.

But OK, I understand that you on a private war for a better world and I state that without a smirk on my face. I see your good intentions and I don't ridicule that. I just happen to not be interested in it. Could you possibly respect my desinterest the same as I respect you interest? Cold you possibly not put intention on my side that have nothing to do with me but a lot with your world view?
    Thanks. Case closed.

edited February 2017

bsdguy said: Do I really need to teach you the economy of numbers?

I am an economist. Your numbers chosen at random in the phrase I took issue with have nothing scientific in them.

bsdguy said: When Mr. Smallcorp tries to outsource his support to india (or whereever) he will have to pay a) considerably more and b) a hefty front-up price for basic training wuite probably involving flights, hotel, etc.

Agreed in part, he will have to pay more as there is no discount or less, however, the rest is BS. It can all be done over the internet, costing next to nothing. Also, the training (if we suppose he uses generic tools, as a smallcorp cannot usually develop and maintain something reasonably secure otherwise), the necessary training is also, either insignificant or non-existent, while big corp with inhouse development and "secrets" will have way more training to do, possibly in India or qualify some trainers in UK/US, whatever. I am not sure what wuite means, I suppose it is a typo but couldnt be reasonably sure of what it was supposed to be.

bsdguy said: And, well notes, for both it's not about good support but about cheap support.

As noted twice already, location matters enormously regarding the price of support. Quality varies in any location, but the same amount of money will definitely buy you better support in India than in UK, again, if you do your HR or contracting job right.

• Maounique said: not sure what wuite means

I think "while".

• quite

Thanked by 1willie
    edited February 2017

@bsdguy said:
    quite

OK, it does not matter then, I was thinking of "suite" but it wasn't really a good fit.

As for personal considerations, don't get me wrong, I understand you and even Trump and his voters, heck, I can understand Hitler, I just try to give you a hint so you can understand yourself better and also recognize the signs of herd mentality, unchecked "facts" and the other usual propaganda all around us.

I am not an enemy of anyone, personally, I just take issues with some ideas and ways of thinking which have been invalidated by history as ways to move the society forward. They might have been good in the tribal days, but now are doing much more harm than protect "us" from "them".
    In the end, we are all part of some minority, if we start to single out groups of people based on arbitrary criteria such as place of residence or (type of) religion, then we will eventually end up ourselves singled out by the whatever circumstantial majority or minority will have the power to segregate, oppress, even exterminate us.
    We can all unite as minorities, agree to be diverse and tolerant to the point when other people actions harm us, if we do that, then we will do well and the resources we have will go towards a better future, even competitive one towards betterment of individuals or groups, if we do not, will be squandered in walls and weapons which can kill us all, regardless of a particular ideology, race, religion, sexual orientation, whatever.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • All I know is that the topic drift in this thread is way worse than in the other threads. What is it about these damn $5 offers?

Thanked by 1Yura

TL;DR version for you:
    Someone tried to drive some traffic to their site, used (as most people which know something agree) somewhat arbitrary and irrelevant methods of ranking of 5 $ offers from various pretty big providers, if that is what they wanted, which is not clear.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited February 2017

@maounique Need to add the part where @bsdguy try to show how superior he is. Like in any other thread. He is very eager to show how awesome he is... LEL. Remember HP and IBM kissed his feets.

@bsdguy Man you are too much (ironic statement), you can even teach us all Economics along with some racists statements.

Pleasure to read you as always...

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • @Hxxx

I'm deeply impressed. I think you'll be my new idol.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2017

@bsdguy said:
    @Hxxx

I'm deeply impressed. I think you'll be my new idol.

YOU BITCH!

Thanked by 1Hxxx
    edited February 2017

Hxxx said: Need to add the part where @bsdguy try to show how superior he is.

He might be, I don't know, I only know for sure support is better for the same money if delivered by the indian residents than by UK people in most cases and that being an Indian living in India does not make you more stupid than a hypothetical 30% Indian (Pakistani, Bangladeshi etc), 25% English, 20% other EU, 10% other Asian, 5% Scott, 5% Welsh so on living in UK just because you are paid worse for the exact same work, knowledge, experience and qualification.
    This is a circular argument, I am better than those because I am "expensive" and they are worse because are "cheap". From this results that, when another dirty asian is selected instead of me, this must be because of "librul" propaganda, positive discrimination or because the country is flooded with cheap dirty low quality asians (Poles, Romanians, Bulgarians etc) to lower our wages and force us into lower salaries and servitude, total dependence of "globalists", therefore we must become "independent" again and maintain our high wages while having lower productivity per person forever.

Britain’s productivity gap with other G7 nations has widened to its largest since estimates began in 1991, according to official figures.

https://theguardian.com/business/2015/sep/18/uks-poor-productivity-figures-show-challenge-for-government

There is no wonder UK workers voted to get out of EU, they cannot keep pace with workers in fellow high income countries, not to mention lower income ones.
    This will only hurt UK and other isolationists, they will quickly fall behind and hide behind walls and weapons finding more circular arguments for their greatness.

These people only think are upset on globalization, or even racists, they are not, they are actually upset on productivity figures, robots (which took many blue collar jobs), themselves and their government for failing to get educated and provide affordable education etc.
    It is not easy to see through the smokescreens put up by populists to stir this rebellion against common sense, it takes some knowledge as an economist and I try to help whenever I can with that.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @Maounique

Don't you get it? You are arguing against something that you yourself made up by insistingly interpreting wrongly what I said although I repeatedly cleared that "misunderstanding".

As for the economics: a) Pardon me but you seem not to know what you are talking about in this case because usually people are flying between e.g. us of a and india to set up projects (incl. support projects) and hence the front up cost involved often excludes smaller companies/clients while for large corps that's pocket money.
    b) However unjust, unfair, whatever that may be, fact is that those corps are buying services at about 25% - 50% of what they would pay e.g. in us of a, hence I talked about "cheap" countries - because they are.

I didn't say that's nice or friendly or good or fair or that indians are stupid; actually I'm pretty close to your position on that but that doesn't change the reality.

So, how about stopping to argue against points nobody here made.

edited February 2017

bsdguy said: a) Pardon me but you seem not to know what you are talking about in this case because usually people are flying between e.g. us of a and india to set up projects (incl. support projects) and hence the front up cost involved often excludes smaller companies/clients while for large corps that's pocket money.

They do, indeed, in the case of large companies, not so in the case of small ones which take standard pricing and services which, in some cases, even have a list price on the front page. For large companies as the ones you mentioned, indeed, the details are many and include the need of training, etc, so, while a small company is charged some 50% more for the same services, does not have to pay training and stuff, they operate mainly with standard tools, otherwise, if they can invent some wheel then, of course, are already funded by VC so are in another category.

bsdguy said: b) However unjust, unfair, whatever that may be, fact is that those corps are buying services at about 25% - 50% of what they would pay e.g. in us of a, hence I talked about "cheap" countries - because they are.

I did not say at all it is unjust or unfair, who is making up these things? This is economy since forever, I never contested large corporations get discounts per hour/man work, but that is partially compensated by the other costs you and I highlighted before (training, travel, accommodation, visas, etc) which smaller companies buying the standard products, do not have to worry about.
    What is indeed unfair, is the power Big Corp & Co have over the state and force it to give tax exceptions and directed regulations just for them and their lobbyists, while the regular punter has to fund all that.

bsdguy said: I repeatedly cleared that "misunderstanding".

So, it is a misunderstanding or a "misunderstanding"? There is a big difference between the two.

• Came in here for a showdown review between linode, digital ocean, lightsail, and vultr....and ended up entering a thread about indians, religion, hitler, and WSS yelling bitches.

Thanked by 2yomero WSS
  • Let's talk about the emails next.

Which host is the best for running a private email server....

• A private email server? Why, a 192 threads power 8 server, of course. Plus a 10 GB pipe.

I'm waiting for the private email server showdown, too.

• bsdguy said: 192 threads power 8 server

Why 192 threads when you can have an 8 socket server with 192 actual cores?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11121/intel-xeon-e7-8894-v4-cpu-24c-48t-9000-usd

This discussion has been closed.