Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The current registration hotness? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The current registration hotness?

Comments

• js aside. Responsive website is 90% CSS. No excuses.

@willie said:
    I like namesilo's website. It's one of the reasons I prefer namesilo to the other registrars whose sites are full of JS crap. Haven't tried porkbun but maybe I will sometime. Hover and gandi both have crap websites, namecheap somewhere in between iirc. Godaddy hurts my eyes without even trying to use it.

• erkinerkin Member
    edited January 2017

I'd say NO to porkbun. I've tried them before with broken features, missing support and faulty payment processing... Namesilo and name.com bez problem until now.

Thanked by 1willie
  • Hxxx said:

js aside. Responsive website is 90% CSS.

I thought responsive sites were when the page loads nice and fast. Namesilo does that.

• I love namesilo's interface. Maybe I'm an old fart, I don't know. In contrast I have used godaddy and namecheap, and their interfaces are absolute crap. Namecheap was good back in the day, but then they came up with a new panel. Oh well...

• does porkbun support dnssec?

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited January 2017

@milo said:
    does porkbun support dnssec?

Yup. http://imgur.com/a/B2Mvs

Thanked by 1milo
  • I nominate AlpNames:

• lowest prices
    • clean interface (automatable)
    • bulk ops
    • full api
    • great support
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I use 3 registrars on a regular basis.

Internet.BS - It is cheap for me and does the job properly. If you need the support though, you may have to wait some time since most of issues are handled by LVL2, which is reachable only by email. However if you push it up on Live chat, you can get response the same day.

Uniregistry - I like the interface. Nice, clean and intuitive. It's not cheap, but its nice. They offer bulk-discount pricing, but I did not get in touch with them regarding it. Have only 2-3 domains there.

Register.It - Cheap first-year promo or transfer. Usable when you need to add some years to your domain. Interface is not much easy to navigate through though. Support is okayish, but email-based mainly. Didn't try calling ever.

Used:

Namesilo - Left them because of the old interface and somewhat rude-ish support.

• Really hope Namesilo will get around to adding more region-based gTLDs (.at, .eu, .sg for example) so that I can consolidate the majority of my domains with one registrar.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@Radi said:
    Used:
    Namesilo - Left them because of the old interface and somewhat rude-ish support.

Fully functional Web 1.0 tends to come with a Jerk attached to it.

@Hxxx said:
    Responsive as in adaptive website layout. Looking good and functional in any modern browser and device. Adapt to the screen size of the client device. No horizontal scrolling and no zooming needed etc.

It's Web 1.0, and pretty much looks just the same on the most bargain-basement $10 SmartPhone as it does anything else, though.. and without all of the lovely hovering/et al, CPU and bandwidth is negated, so you can do your job without waiting on the candy-like rounded corner not-a-tables..

• We're all better off without namecheap...

• I was quite happy with internetbs for some years but they are getting ever more expensive. So I looked at an alternative.

• not in 5 eyes (usa, uk, ...)
    • whois privacy
    • seriously large choice of TLDs desirable, all well known major TLDs (com, net, org, it, fr, cz, de, ...) an absolute must
    • attractive pricing. Not necessarily the cheapest 50 cent provider but in the top tier.
      Big Plus: No games, i.e. renewal must be in the same ballpark as first year, not like e.g. the 1&1 scam (first year super cheap renewal almost 15$). I see that as a criterion to judge a provider being honest and serious or not.

• good domain/dns/... management features.

• API desirable but not a must (I have more than a few domains but I'm not dealing with dozens or hundreds).

Note: I don't care a rats ass about design but I strongly prefer no or little js, no gimmicks, clean design, preferably html/css only.

I would like alpdomains and namesilo but they are in 5 eyes.

After doing quite some research I ended up with espace2001, a french provider that meets all the above criteria.

I just bought 2 domains to test them and I will report about my experience. Right now I can only say they are whcms based and the 2 domains are not yet live. I guess they have some real human look over all purchases.

Caveat: They offer their site in quite many languages but even in the english version french bleeds through sometimes.

• @bsdguy said:
    After doing quite some research I ended up with espace2001, a french provider that meets all the above criteria.

I don't think Espace2001 is actually accredited by ICANN, so they must at least be reselling gTLDs with someone. I personally prefer to not to have a middleman.

When you get your two domain names can you do a WHOIS and see who is the actual registrar?

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2017

@busbr

I guess it's ovh. I have seen some indicators pointing at ovh actually being the provider behind some services of espace2001. But I don't care too much because a) ovh is more expensive and b) I actually like to have someone being between myself and ovh, which can be a nightmare to deal with.

But will of course do the lookup requested by you, no prob.

• @bsdguy said:
    I was quite happy with internetbs for some years but they are getting ever more expensive. So I looked at an alternative.

• not in 5 eyes (usa, uk, ...)
    • whois privacy
    • seriously large choice of TLDs desirable, all well known major TLDs (com, net, org, it, fr, cz, de, ...) an absolute must
    • attractive pricing. Not necessarily the cheapest 50 cent provider but in the top tier.
      Big Plus: No games, i.e. renewal must be in the same ballpark as first year, not like e.g. the 1&1 scam (first year super cheap renewal almost 15$). I see that as a criterion to judge a provider being honest and serious or not.

• good domain/dns/... management features.

• API desirable but not a must (I have more than a few domains but I'm not dealing with dozens or hundreds).

Note: I don't care a rats ass about design but I strongly prefer no or little js, no gimmicks, clean design, preferably html/css only.

I would like alpdomains and namesilo but they are in 5 eyes.

I just bought 2 domains to test them and I will report about my experience. Right now I can only say they are whcms based and the 2 domains are not yet live. I guess they have some real human look over all purchases.

Caveat: They offer their site in quite many languages but even in the english version french bleeds through sometimes.

They look good, The prices seem alright until they add the 20% vat :(

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2017

@elofty said:
    They look good, The prices seem alright until they add the 20% vat :(

Yes, that's right. But I guess most of us have a company anyway so we need not care.

I wouldn't have even started that adventure but some days ago I got yet another email from internetbsd about them increasing their prices ...
    The point there isn't just the higher price per se but that I'm under the impression that internetbs pulls of the classical "Now, that we have established ourselves on the market, let's milk the cow at the maximum".

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

Why on earth does it matter if your registrar is in 5 eyes? They send your data to icann no matter where they are, I thought.

• akbakb Member

bsdguy said: After doing quite some research I ended up with espace2001, a french provider that meets all the above criteria.

Another more established french provider is netim. Their gtld rates aren't that competitive but they do have a large array of cctlds on offer and I think they are cheapest for many of them.

• Or Gandi. A bit on the expensive side though, but not a single issue with them in the last 18 years.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    Why on earth does it matter if your registrar is in 5 eyes? They send your data to icann no matter where they are, I thought.

As much as I enjoy my beloved @bsdguy, he's starting to see conspiracies everywhere. I guess TLDs can melt steel beams.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • Update re espace 2001

They seem to be a snarking company. Response time in best case some hours, sometimes more than a day. Panel is all but worthless, pretty everything must be done through tickets; only NS servers can be set directly.
    On the plus side the speak english; that's by no means standard for french companies.
    On the extremely bad side they lock new domains right away without even informing the customer, let alone asking him.

Failed experiment, it seems. Advising to stay away.

@WSS said:

@willie said:

As much as I enjoy my beloved @bsdguy, he's starting to see conspiracies everywhere. I guess TLDs can melt steel beams.

Honey, in my field (IT security) paranoia is a plus.

But seriously, it's not that nonsensical to avoid 5 eyes. For one losing business does concern them. So let them feel the pain.
    Secondly, it's rather senseless to use whois privacy when you register your domain with a provider in 5 eyes. Yes, the final registrar might be in the usa but he won't see anything but data hidden by whois privacy.

• bsdguy said: final registrar might be in the usa but he won't see anything but data hidden by whois privacy.

You mean ICANN? That's the lidless eye, I thought.

• Most of my domains are with OpenProvider

Thanked by 1mfs
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: Honey

After the ill-fated, star-crossed romance of @nekki and @cociu , it's exciting to see love blossom anew on LET.

@bsdguy and @WSS - mazel tov.

Thanked by 2cassa mehargags
  • @raindog308 said:
    After the ill-fated, star-crossed romance of @nekki and @cociu , it's exciting to see love blossom anew on LET.

Nonsense. "Honey" is simply my way of saying "you evil bastard! I should hate you but I can't resist the powerful beauty of your wonderful hair". Actually I dislike that guy; he reminds me of a RSA module with some bits in a strange colour.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: he reminds me of a RSA module

Long, complicated, and no longer under patent? yeah, I can see that.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited January 2017

The cheaper is invariably the better in my book, at least for domains. Namesilo doesn't offer many of the TLDs I use.
    I recently migrated some domains from namecheap to internetbs. I've some ccTLDs which are held at local registrars.

About whois privacy: I've never regarded it as a way to protect yourself from governmental "eyes". It's rather a way to keep stalkers and spammers at bay, this might be appealing if you're registering it as an individual. Some TLDs in EU anyway "sanitize" your details in an acceptable way per default.
    I doubt alphabet agencies are baffled by someone registering a domain in say, Czech republic, and using whois privacy. I tend to generally avoid US businesses when dealing with EU-sensitive stuff (especially if it's stuff belonging to public administrations) but that's pretty much it. I still don't believe that the respawned privacy shield is EU-compliant but that would be a pretty different and long discussion

@cassa said:
    Most of my domains are with OpenProvider

interesting prices for some of the TLDs I use, added to my book.

• EasyDNS.com or Rebel.com because you know they wont suspend you or give your info out easily. Much more tolerant than many other registants.

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

bsdguy said: Honey

Don't I get a say in the matter? (It's going to be a Drewish wedding.)

Thanked by 1raindog308