Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux Mail Client, what are you using?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux Mail Client, what are you using?

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited February 2013 in General

For those of you using Linux on the desktop...

What currently are you using for a mail client that you like?

Looking for Thunderbird alternatives. Something that runs light enough while having common functionality.

Comments

• Pine is good and you don't even need a Desktop for it :) But yes, it is not as easy to configure as Thunderbird.

• For the short time I used Linux, Thunderbird. It was light enough.

• I tried several Linux mail clients, and eventually went back to Thunderbird.

• Gmail.com + mail notifier chrome plugin
    I don't think that need a client

• mutt

• Yeah, not impressed by Thunderbird. For number of releases has some random bug that just chews 100% CPU up for no reason all the time. Total rubbishware.

Gmail isn't an option. Won't go down that rant road today :)

Pine is nice and mutt, but unusable by business folks doing 10 tasks in email. Wish they were suitable :). Yeah this isn't for me but a non technical "end user".

• @pubcrawler said: Yeah, not impressed by Thunderbird. For number of releases has some random bug that just chews 100% CPU up for no reason all the time. Total rubbishware.

Never experienced this. What distro are you running?

• @pubcrawler said: Pine is nice and mutt, but unusable by business folks doing 10 tasks in email. Wish they were suitable :). Yeah this isn't for me but a non technical "end user".

Then these "business folks" should upgrade their hardware if they're unable to run Thunderbird.

• @sleddog, yeppers, 100% CPU frequently. Seems to start happening and requires closing Thunderbird, which never happens and requires the kill command from shell. Try explaining that to the non technical folks as to why that happens and the remedy. They just say WTF?

@gubbyte, it has nothing to do with hardware.

• @pubcrawler said: @sleddog, yeppers, 100% CPU frequently. Seems to start happening and requires closing Thunderbird, which never happens and requires the kill command from shell. Try explaining that to the non technical folks as to why that happens and the remedy. They just say WTF?

WTF is understandable in that case. :) But again, I use Thunderbird heavily on two systems and have never had this happen. So I don't think it's something inherent in Thunderbird. That's why I asked for the distro -- start troubleshooting by identifying the commonalities.

@gubbyte, it has nothing to do with hardware.

It might. if all users experiencing the problem have the same hardware you can't rule it out. Though "upgrading" as a solution is dumb :)

• I can't stand using a desktop app for mail. I've never seen the point in it. Maybe if you're running your own mail servers and don't have a nice web frontend (though the ones available have gotten a lot better, so there's no reason not to have a nice one), but since I use Google Apps, I just use the web interface.

• @NickM said: I can't stand using a desktop app for mail.

For me, it's about bandwidth and ease of access. I work on an often-overcrowded 1 mbps dsl link. And it's routine for me to receive each day multiple emails that are 20 MBs or more, containing multiple file attachments. Trying to cope with that on webmail is pure frustration.

• Sorry @sleddog, distro is umm Linux Mint I believe on that install.

• @NickM, we don't do Google Apps or Gmail.

There isn't workflow and easy of doing things in web based clients.

Attachments are a part of the problem like @sleddog has said.

• @pubcrawler said: Linux Mint

found your problem

• @pubcrawler said: Attachments are a part of the problem like @sleddog has said.

Yeah. Keeping everything in "The Cloud" is fine as long as you have the pipe that keeps "The Cloud" at your fingertips. For us mere mortals, local storage is preferred.

• The browser just isn't stuck to the desktop either. Users have their habits and preferences and being locked in the browser or having the lovely javascript churn and burn isn't good when so much else might be running in the browser.

Reminds me of the recent Gnome is going to make javascript native language within. That should introduce problems, but who knows, might be a bridge to help folks with in-between app needs (desktop to web integration with more click and play feel).

• I use Thunderbird. Reading my mail is as easy as pressing one key on my keyboard to start up Thunderbird and download my email automatically. Try doing that with web mail!

• @Abdussamad said: I use Thunderbird. Reading my mail is as easy as pressing one key on my keyboard to start up Thunderbird and download my email automatically. Try doing that with web mail!

• How many clicks does it take to login to your webmail account? Login + download from all my email accounts is just one button press for me.

• @Abdussamad said: How many clicks does it take to login to your webmail account? Login + download from all my email accounts is just one button press for me.

Good on you, champ.

• Give Evolution a look see. Not as Robust as T-Bird but gets the job done. Claws Mail works also but that is down further then Evolution.

• Thanks @AuroraZ. Claws just got installed. Will spin Evolution up to and let folks muck with both in the morning.

• I currently use Evolution, so far it works well (aside from some strange qwerks)

• @pubcrawler your welcome bro

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I like Thunderbird, and have never had any of the issues you describe.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler I experienced the same problem with TB quite a few times. It happens with large folders and is due to indexes crashing. Splitting folders and deleting .mht something files solves the issue, but at next start tb will still use a lot of CPU to rebuild the index (usually happens at inbox folder but you'd better do that with all big folders and regularly move to archives older mails). After that will run happy again.
    I tried other email clients, always came back to TB.

• Thunderbird.

• Thunderbird has worked great in my ubuntu PC.I love it :)

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@shovenose said: I like Thunderbird, and have never had any of the issues you describe.

Thunderbird all the way, except on my work laptop they've got Outlook preinstalled :(