Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux Mail Client, what are you using? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux Mail Client, what are you using?

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2013

No one mentioned Claws-mail? http://www.claws-mail.org/screenshots.php?section=general
    It's clean, simple and awesome.

• dnomdnom Member
    edited February 2013

I use Opera since I already use it as a browser. I also use it for IRC and RSS and some torrent. It's really convenient having those in one app.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

mutt works pretty well :)

• Same story with most of TB user here, like it, then hate it, but in the end they come back again, I use TB for my main email client as most of my email already there and my backup system already in place.

I'm on evolution if I need to connect MS exchange

I'm using zimbra desktop client for my zimbra server, mostly because I need to make sure all zimbra services (calendar, task, briefcase etc) working.

so everyday I'm switching between 3 different email clients,

• Thanks folks. Claws will be setup and tried with users in the morning. People are so hard about change of their apps.

@Maounique, thanks for confirming the Thunderbird issues. Researched the matter prior and found index issues mentioned elsewhere. Resolution was murky to none, thus, can't tolerate the bug and so moving on after a year or more of dealing with Thunderbird.

Surprised no one else has entered the fray with a contender. Lots of TB derivatives which seems to be wasting developers time and resources playing inside the same sandbox.

• alhalh Member
    edited February 2013

Needless to say my day job is not so much fun, and it requires I use Winboxen. I stick to the Gmail client (we use Google Apps). I am still on and off an avid Thunderbird user (I actually used the daily builds, no more stable, and Firefox for nightly builds). I used mutt for while in conjunction with offlineimap, and it was a powerful mother. Wanted to start using sup, but did not have the time to learn. Anyone using Sup out of curiosity?

• I use Gmail (web client) to manage all email accounts. It's enough for me. I once used Thunderbird, but found it too heavy.

Probably the only drawback of gmail is that the time interval to check other mail accounts can't be customized.

• As alternatives to Thunderbird, claws mail is more light weight.
    +1 for claws mail

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited February 2013

full time mutt user here! Even with some Exchange servers who only offer OWA and no imap/pop3: via http://davmail.sourceforge.net

• Same here. Been a mutt user for a long time. I like the patched version with the sidebar though. Works well even in X windows if you have the proper helper apps set up. For full GUI I will sometimes use Thunderbird as well.

• I use thunderbird :>

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Resolution was murky to none

Just delete the index of the folder that is borked. It will spend some time on rebuilding (only happens on huge folders, therefore rebuilding also takes a long time) but if you keep your folders reasonably small, sudden power failures during mail activities wont corrupt them as those activities in the background finish very fast.
    I think this happens on many mail clients with compact folders and even those that store individually each mail, over a certain number of files or size of folder something breaks during some unorthodox maneuvers such as pulling the plug.

• Thunderbird, been using for like 7 years. I don't get why people even want to switch.

• We don't want to switch. Just is ongoing issue with TB. Been like two years.

The only thing that get TB to behave is running it in safe mode. But not sure if that truly fixes things or what since users do whatever and restart programs the normal way.

• Never experienced anything of the sort, though, the Mozilla community is really helpful.

I think working with them to get the bug fixed might be a better option for you. :)

• @pubcrawler said: The only thing that get TB to behave is running it in safe mode.

Linux Mint has "safe mode"?

• @sleddog said: Linux Mint has "safe mode"?

Unless he is talking about Windows, not really.

There is a Safe GRAPHICS Mode in Linux, but not a Safe Mode

• Gmail here primarily, then mutt & thunderbird tie for second. I find it interesting that the last few times gmail went "down", only the web interface was down, for me at least. I could still hit it with mutt + imaps. I only use thunderbird to pull down the mail permanently and will probably wipe my gmail account in the future. For employers where I had a linux laptop, Evolution worked perfectly with exchange, if necessary.

• Thunderbird has some safe mode. Might be the wrong word. Forget what TB calls it. Basically disables plugins and some other stuff.

• @pubcrawler said: Thunderbird has some safe mode. Might be the wrong word. Forget what TB calls it. Basically disables plugins and some other stuff.

Ah, so the issue could well be a wonky addon and not Thunderbird per se.

• Unsure @sleddog what gets disabled in that safe mode. There aren't any plugins installed aside from whatever comes installed by default (if there are any).

It behaves better, but that is a hack :)

• @pubcrawler said: Unsure @sleddog what gets disabled in that safe mode

Mozilla release notes says that addons and custom themes are disabled. If the issue is not an addon, maybe a theme?

• No theme either. It's plain stock. Which makes the issue mega odd.

See others complaining of similar resource hogging and the indexing is often pointed to, but not clear that is what it is.

I keep updates current so it's a recent release too. Perplexed by it.

Installed Claws... it's like 2000 or prior experience. That won't cut it. Slow too with checks and things. Probably capable with adjustments, but I am not doing all that curve learning and custom tweaking to have to do it again later each time for each person.

• POP or IMAP?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I prefer to use the Kmail to use for emails on my Linux desktop.

• If starting it without all addons fixes it, I think the problem is kinda obvious, no?

• Oh I agree @Wintereise, but there aren't any addons that anyone has added on.

Like a light switch in a room without any electric :)

• Lol, yeah, something is definitely screwed then.

You could give the nightly builds a go, see if it fixes things. :)