Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net threaten me with bailiff
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net threaten me with bailiff

hello, LEB users,
this is my first post, and i need some advise with online.net

i don't have credit card, i brought a server from online.net using one shot virtual credit card. since it is one shot only, it can not be used again to renew the server. when i tried to change the card number in console.online.net with another one time only vcc to renew the server, they charged it €1 for verification and that made the one shot card unusable afterthat. i asked them whether i can renew my server manually, they said no, so i just left it be and walked away.
but recently they sent me email that they will collect my bill by bailiff.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Despite our previous notices of your unpaid bills we note that you still haven't paid one or more Online bills.

Therefore we terminated your services and started the collection of your unpaid bills by a bailiff.

If you have any questions, please contact our assistance https://console.online.net/assistance/

Best regards,

what should i do now? I don't want to pay for something i didn't even use. is there a chance i will be jailed by them?

*sorry for my bad english

Comments

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited October 2016

You won't be 'jailed' for owing a debt, I had no idea they enforce this stuff.

I'd suggest that they won't do much because your more then likely in a difference country, they also can't do anything without a court order (to really enforce the debt)

Thanked by 1didtav
  • So far i didn't hear people get jailed because online.net

Thanked by 2didtav jh
  • LeeLee Veteran

Depends on your country, if they have agencies signed up there all they will do is pass the debt over for collection and leave it to them, the debt mounts up.

Don't assume it's an idle threat, more and more are taking action against non payers these days, especially bigger companies.

If a couple of months pass and you hear nothing then you likely never will.

• didtav said: didtav

If you outside EU just skip it as useless Only local laws apply

Thanked by 1didtav
  • They could easily sell your debt to a collections company in your country for them to pursue, by which time the fees will have mounted up.

Who doesn't have a credit/debit card?!?! Just pay your bills and these issues don't happen :)

Thanked by 2Rami switsys
  • Call them, explain and clean this up. Better to face and close such issues than walk away.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@VortexMagnus said:
    They could easily sell your debt to a collections company in your country for them to pursue, by which time the fees will have mounted up.

Who doesn't have a credit/debit card?!?! Just pay your bills and these issues don't happen :)

True, much better to pay instead to wait for surprise, if online.net is based in France it doesn't mean that they can't sell your debt to your local collection agency (very easy can be done) and if you owe to online.net €20 if they do pass to local collection agency it will cost you €200 or more.

• VortexMagnus said: They could easily sell your debt to a collections company in your country

It cost money on several countries, its not a free to processing and may takes long time. Local agencies may easy refuse request

• @VortexMagnus said:
    They could easily sell your debt to a collections company in your country for them to pursue, by which time the fees will have mounted up.

pay for what?
    it looks like my english is not good enough to explain the situation.

It is just simply that i didn't renew my server and i didn't even bother to cancel my server

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jenkki said:

VortexMagnus said: They could easily sell your debt to a collections company in your country

It cost money on several countries, its not a free to processing and may takes long time. Local agencies may easy refuse request

It costs money that the owing party will pay out of his or hers own pocket likely according to the contract. A lot of companies pursuing debts on no win no fee basis so yeah. If you sign the contract you pay your bills. Simple as that.

• WebProject said: local collection agency it will cost you €200 or more.

no it wont.. don't be stupid

• Clouvider said: Clouvider

All local agencies and courts outside US and EU follow only local laws and under local jurisdiction. Norway or Russia for example follow only local court decision.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@didtav said:

@VortexMagnus said:

pay for what?
    it looks like my english is not good enough to explain the situation.

It is just simply that i didn't renew my server and i didn't even bother to cancel my server

You did not bother to cancel it so it stayed unavailable for sale, they lost money, just pay the bill.

• Nah they won't do anything to you. They just threaten to make your scared so you pay up. I've had a crazy company called Keyweb do this to me in the past. They threatened me with all kinds of stuff including getting a lawyer to take me to court because I owed 20 Euros for not cancelling my server... I did try to though, the terms were ridiculous anyway. They requested that I MAIL them my cancellation notice..

Thanked by 1didtav
  • jenkkijenkki Member
    edited October 2016

AnthonySmith said: ou did not bother to cancel it so it stayed unavailable for sale, they lost money

Provider must cancel or suspend VPS at the end of billing term, if they not do that at the time or allow user going to deep negative user may has no response for it. There prepaid debit billing agreement

edited October 2016

I cba to go through their terms in detail, pretty sure the @op owes them money regardless, they don't terminate and make available servers to others at 1 minute over due, they keep it aside to give you a chance to recover service.

How much money are we talking about here?

Thanked by 2Clouvider Wolveix
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited October 2016

This sort of happened to me once. I got a scale way box after verifying my card with them. After using it for a week or so, I just destroyed the VM as the performance pretty much sucked.

A couple of months later, I got an email about these guys being unable to charge my card for an incredibly large amount of 2 EUR. Turns out that my bank declined their attempts to charge my card again after they failed to reverse the initial 1EUR that they charged for verification when I first signed up.

To make things worse, they tried to verify the same card again while trying to charge 2EUR in a second transaction a few seconds later.

Anyway, once I brought that to their notice, they were quick about getting the verification charge reversed and got the entire issue sorted.

So, I'd recommend the @op to pony up the cash and settle the amount up before things get unnecessarily complicated.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited October 2016

Your 'one shot' credit card failing is your own fault. Find another way to pay them.

Thanked by 3netomx ucxo Wolveix
  • lbftlbft Member
    edited October 2016

They require you to submit a cancellation by the 20th of the month or the term renews, IIRC.

• sinsin Member

Why didn't you just cancel it in the first place?

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • lol. never in my life i ever hit the cancel button with any provider i have ever been with.
    I didn't think it is necessary anyway... my bad.
    with any other provider i have ever been with, they always terminate the server when the time's up without the need of cancel button.

problem solved. i paid. all services terminated. walked away peacefully.

@Lunar said:
    Nah they won't do anything to you. They just threaten to make your scared so you pay up. I've had a crazy company called Keyweb do this to me in the past. They threatened me with all kinds of stuff including getting a lawyer to take me to court because I owed 20 Euros for not cancelling my server... I did try to though, the terms were ridiculous anyway. They requested that I MAIL them my cancellation notice..

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

VortexMagnus said: Who doesn't have a credit/debit card?!?! Just pay your bills and these issues don't happen :)

This attitude gets really, really irritating. If you'd bother to look outside of the country you live in, you'd realize that there are plenty of countries where the horrible CC system is not a common payment method, and eg. bank cards (with country-specific online payment systems) or mobile payment systems are used instead.

And before the discussion goes where it always goes: no, these bank cards do not have a CC number on them, and it is not possible to use them as a CC, and it is not trivial to obtain a regular creditcard.

edited October 2016

didtav said: problem solved. i paid. all services terminated. walked away peacefully.

Then a few weeks later someone has to come along and clean up the mess you left behind, but you never see that part of it.

But your not alone in doing that, I cant say I blame you for thinking it is OK to do that, but the reality is, sometimes, just sometimes, when you agree to something it gets enforced, this is one of those times.

Thanked by 3mpkossen trewq Wolveix
  • Happened to me once, I want to pay them €2, but failed to charge from CC, tried to pay several times, but still failed.
    If they have paypal account, it would be a lot easier to get rid of bailiff part.

• didtav said: problem solved. i paid. all services terminated. walked away peacefully.

They own you finally after some resistance, ubercool! :)

• IamIam Member

Ask them to enable Paypal in your account, just tell them if you always fail when using your CC.

• gramsupgramsup Member
    edited October 2016

Same thing here. It was my first month with them. The first payment was ok with my credit card. A couple weeks later my credit card number got used without my authorization by someone buying gift cards. I had to get it reissued. But the payment at online.net had already processed and cleared.

So, about a day or two later, many days before it was even time for renewal, I changed my credit card numbers at online.net to my other credit card with a major US bank. It worked everywhere, even online.net for the initial authorization.

Come time for the first renewal, online.net declined it as did scaleway. I opened a ticket and went back and forth with them for about two weeks to check into it. The card works fine everywhere else and is not a prepaid or virtual. My bank said the transactions were not being declined or even attempted at my bank. Online.net would not do anything or check into it except to say keep trying it again.

I asked if I could just pay with paypal. They refused. They said they will only allow paypal after another month of payments with a credit card. They absolutely refused to bend on this even when they could not get paid any other way.

Later, I got my replacement credit card for the first credit card I had. Online.net refused it too. So, it was actually impossible for me to pay them. I escalated the ticket and practically begged for them to give me a way to pay them. It got me nowhere except ... for them to say, try it again and again.

Then of course, after this I get the bailiff is coming after me emails from online.net.

The other thing is the first day your card is declined, most of your server management features become disabled. So, they're still billing and expecting full payment and calling the bailiff for the full upcoming month yet at the same time, they've immediately stopped providing some service.

So, everything is cheap and runs somewhat well there until there's a problem like this. Maybe one day your credit card gets stolen, you replace it, and then something triggers online.net or their processor to block any future payments. Then you're stuck with your server immediately restricted and soon thereafter terminated with nothing you can do about it.

Needless to say, I have moved on from there and am still waiting for the bailiff.

• joepie91 said: and it is not trivial to obtain a regular creditcard.

cc's aren't that common in my country as well, but that doesn't mean one simply can't easily acquire one. Almost all banks here offer them, and even prepaid versions are available in stores.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@dodedodo said:

joepie91 said: and it is not trivial to obtain a regular creditcard.

cc's aren't that common in my country as well, but that doesn't mean one simply can't easily acquire one. Almost all banks here offer them, and even prepaid versions are available in stores.

I don't see what that has to do with what I said. Here, prepaid creditcards are extremely limited, expensive and slow to 'refill', if you can find a place that sells them at all (short of purchasing one online). Bank-issued creditcards bring an additional cost with them, and banks won't issue them unless you meet a fairly stringent minimum income and various other requirements.

Great that in your case you perceive it to be easy, or maybe it is easy where you live... but that in no way invalidates the point I am making.

Thanked by 1isalem
  • @joepie91 said:

VortexMagnus said: Who doesn't have a credit/debit card?!?! Just pay your bills and these issues don't happen :)

This attitude gets really, really irritating. If you'd bother to look outside of the country you live in, you'd realize that there are plenty of countries where the horrible CC system is not a common payment method, and eg. bank cards (with country-specific online payment systems) or mobile payment systems are used instead.

And before the discussion goes where it always goes: no, these bank cards do not have a CC number on them, and it is not possible to use them as a CC, and it is not trivial to obtain a regular creditcard.

^^ this.