Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Networking primers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Networking primers

edited December 2012 in General

We've generally relied on network engineers/third parties to design and manage our network and although we will continue to do so I personally am keen to learn more about what is going on. Where's the best place to get started for the kind of networking a typical colo customer would want to know, from the basics up to more advanced aspects. I feel I know various aspects, but know there are gaps at all levels.

Comments

• Maybe some basic networking classes at your community college

The one nearby has basic Cisco classes

• Just to update, in my search for some resources I came across:

http://www.tcpipguide.com/

This seems to be a really good resource for all things. Many of the examples are based on quite small networks, but all the principals are there.

There's also a book/e-book if people wish to support the author.

• To understand network technology basics (and for general reference), I suggest the latest (5th) edition of Computer Networks, ISBN 0132126958 . If you are more interested in the practical, real-life networking concepts, you can skip directly to chapter 5 and 7. Cisco courseware and textbooks are good, but more focused on the implementation side.

• @bamn - you must mean the 4 basic Cisco Academy courses at SPC Epicenter? Those are actually not bad depending on who you get...