Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean to begin charging for snapshots
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean to begin charging for snapshots

Ya'll been fuckin' WABLED yo.

Snapshots billing update 

We are in the process of making updates to our snapshot policy and wanted to let you know what you will be seeing. 

Starting October 1, 2016, we will begin charging for snapshot storage at $0.05 per gigabyte per month. This will first be reflected in the invoice posted to your account on November 1, 2016. Like other features, snapshot storage uses hourly pricing, and size is calculated from a compressed version of the snapshot—not the total disk space allocated to the Droplet. 

Also, you can now take Droplet snapshots without having to power off the Droplet. You can see this in action by taking a snapshot of a Droplet while it’s still running. 

Over the coming weeks, we will update the Snapshots page to show the costs associated with your snapshot storage more easily and we’ll also send another reminder before charges begin on October 1, 2016. Be sure to see your usage on the Snapshots page and delete unused snapshots to avoid any unexpected charges. 

In the meantime, if you have any questions or feedback about the upcoming changes, you can always open a ticket and our Support team will be glad to help.opening a support ticket. 

Thanks, 
Team DigitalOcean

Comments

• I do like you can make snapshots without turning the VM off though. I imagine that this announcement will overall likely be good news for those who need uptime most importantly.

• LeeLee Veteran

DO said snapshots would be a chargeable event when they were released so it's no surprise. Just appears to have taken them a while to get around to it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Like how we snuck that live snapshot announcement in there? ;)

Thanked by 1GCat
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited August 2016

@jarland

Is it possible to request the download of a snapshot?

Thanked by 1yomero

@FlamesRunner said:
    @jarland

Not currently but I will say that I've seen a lot of requests for that in the NPS work I've been doing. There's always spin up droplet and rsync data out I guess, for the time being.

What I think would be cool is mounting a snapshot like block storage...

• LeeLee Veteran

@FlamesRunner said:
    @jarland

Still the main feature I miss on pretty much all services. The ability to just straight download a snapshot to my local storage array. Yes, yes Rsync but it does not beat click and download. Well it does depending on the scenario.

Thanked by 2yomero netomx
  • What do you think an appropriate price would be for downloading a snapshot? Maybe just add the bandwidth to the Droplet associated?

• @Nekki said:

But you got warning with this one? As far as I recall Wabled just started charging without telling people...?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@IThinkUFailed said:

@Nekki said:

But you got warning with this one? As far as I recall Wabled just started charging without telling people...?

No, I don't think that happened.

My worry with snapshot download is that almost no one would know what to do with what they downloaded.

• @jarland said:
    My worry with snapshot download is that almost no one would know what to do with what they downloaded.

What format do snapshots come in exactly? Just the raw data?

edited August 2016

@daily said:

@jarland said:

Would be a compressed disk image. It's best use would be for deployment via KVM. Just imagine the confusion an average person might have downloading a VMware disk image when they don't even know what VMware is. That's kind of how I picture someone downloading our snapshots.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @jarland said:

@daily said:

@jarland said:

Would be a compressed disk image. Just imagine the confusion an average person might have downloading a VMware disk image when they don't even know what VMware is. That's kind of how I picture someone downloading our snapshots.

You raise a good point. The good news is that Digital Ocean is already a tutorial source for tons of people. I couldn't imagine a tutorial wouldn't be wrote up really fast.

Thanked by 2jar dedicados
  • LeeLee Veteran

jarland said: Would be a compressed disk image. It's best use would be for deployment via KVM. Just imagine the confusion an average person might have downloading a VMware disk image when they don't even know what VMware is. That's kind of how I picture someone downloading our snapshots.

Which is why it would be good as a bolt on service. Of course the bandwidth costs are going to be high, all those people downloading their 'backups' and having no clue what to do with them but that's par for the course.

Thanked by 1jar
  • ReeRee Member

@jarland said:

Can you re-upload the snapshot at a later date? With LunaNode I periodically take a snapshot, move it to one of their other locations for online backup, and then download it for offline backup.

So in a worst-case scenario, like maybe my account is hacked and someone deletes all my crap, I can re-upload the offline image and get back up and running fairly quickly.

• GCatGCat Member

Oh well, I'm still going to take snapshots, better safe than sorry, they say

@Ree said:

@jarland said:

Can you re-upload the snapshot at a later date? With LunaNode I periodically take a snapshot, move it to one of their other locations for online backup, and then download it for offline backup.

So in a worst-case scenario, like maybe my account is hacked and someone deletes all my crap, I can re-upload the offline image and get back up and running fairly quickly.

It's not a terrible idea, with some refining and a lot of thought put into it.

• jarland said: Would be a compressed disk image. It's best use would be for deployment via KVM. Just imagine the confusion an average person might have downloading a VMware disk image when they don't even know what VMware is. That's kind of how I picture someone downloading our snapshots.

Well, since DO initially said to be targeting "developers", if some of those "developers" can't figure out what to do with a disk image, perhaps they should rename themselves to lusers and don't worry about snapshots.

Thanked by 2FlamesRunner tux

@rds100 said:

jarland said: Would be a compressed disk image. It's best use would be for deployment via KVM. Just imagine the confusion an average person might have downloading a VMware disk image when they don't even know what VMware is. That's kind of how I picture someone downloading our snapshots.

Well, since DO initially said to be targeting "developers", if some of those "developers" can't figure out what to do with a disk image, perhaps they should rename themselves to lusers and don't worry about snapshots.

I've learned, from this job, just how large the divide can be between developer and admin. I originally thought that the two were close enough that one couldn't be good at one side without at least basic understandings of the other side. I've reached the conclusion that my assumption was not correct.

A lot of talented developers out there that could very much benefit from having an admin by their side.

• LeeLee Veteran

To be honest I have no issue with it, it's a good service overall in that you can take snapshots, move them quickly to other locations if there is downtime or DDoS and be back in short time. I use it quite a bit on the company account and it always works very well.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @rds100 said:

Mehh. It's similar to when I speak to qualified domestic electricians about LV and HV switchgear, they don't have a clue, yet I always assume they should know more than me.

• @Jarland

Encrypt the snapshots and only allow them for DO re upload.

Have an advanced option that has warnings saying 'your data could become corrupt' to put off the standard non techie

Thanked by 1jar
  • OpticalSwoosh said: Encrypt the snapshots and only allow them for DO re upload.

Might sound cool, but sooner or later someone will leak the keys. Unless those are one time keys per snapshot, but even then... meh.
    Better make it some standard format than you can use elsewhere. Or offer tools for converting it to other formats.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

rds100 said: make it some standard format

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMDK

But then you could actually easily migrate away from DO. With their recent "everything in the name of profit" push, I doubt that's something they want to encourage.

edited August 2016

@rm_ said:

But then you could actually easily migrate away from DO. With their recent "everything in the name of profit" push, I doubt that's something they want to encourage.

I don't think anyone has a problem with portability so long as it's not the sole reason for a change. However, merely moving a disk image between KVM providers is not quite as simple as I think you're implying. It's a bit more complex than simply using a compatible image type.

The complexities, I would argue, outweigh any benefit of that method of portability that anyone would propose that it has over rsync.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Maounique
  • @jarland said:

@rm_ said:

I don't think anyone has a problem with portability so long as it's not the sole reason for a change. However, merely moving a disk image between KVM providers is not quite as simple as I think you're implying. It's a bit more complex than simply using a compatible image type.

The complexities, I would argue, outweigh any benefit of that method of portability that anyone would propose that it has over rsync.

Even download the snapshot from DO just to save the fees and then upload it back when needed. I'd rather use some of my 1TB HDD that doesn't get used

Thanked by 1jar
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: A lot of talented developers out there

Actually I don't think there's that many...

@raindog308 said:

jarland said: A lot of talented developers out there

Actually I don't think there's that many...

Well I know I'm certainly not one of 'em ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@rm_ said:

That's not how that song goes man.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Junkless netomx
  • HxxxHxxx Member

I really like their new website design. Great team there.

Thanked by 1jar