Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox vs Virtualizor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox vs Virtualizor

Hi,
I'm looking for a virtualization panel to manage vps (commercial). It's not intended for newbies so OneClick options and other installers are not required. SolusVM is too expensive (if I understand their licensing) so there's Proxmox and Virtualizor. I wonder which is technically "better". What's your opinion?

Quality of vCP
  1. Which control panel is technologically more advanced in your opinion?89 votes
    1. Proxmox
      82.02%
    2. Virtualizor
      17.98%

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2016

SolusVM and Virtualizor are within a dollar of each other for cost.

We've had many, many, many discussions about Virtualizor sucking. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/61618/virtualizor-2-7-7-released-with-new-admin-ui is an example, where issues that were noted four years ago were still present.

Go with Proxmox if that's your only other option.

(edit) More info: Virtualizor looks pretty but you'll find it scales absolutely terrible once you're past a few machines. Most of the companies I know to be using it are certainly not the big players, and if they ever make it to that level, they'll find they regret going with Virtualizor. Better don't!

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I would would recommend proxmox, we run it in production with 0 issues.

Though I do have to wonder about your business plan if this is a commercial service you are going to offer and solusvm is too expensive?

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    I would would recommend proxmox, we run it in production with 0 issues.

Though I do have to wonder about your business plan if this is a commercial service you are going to offer and solusvm is too expensive?

No, it's actually not commercial, just the process similar to a business. My employees can "rent" a server (for testing e.g.) like with a usual business but they don't pay for it of course.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

webcraft said: No, it's actually not commercial, just the process similar to a business. My employees can "rent" a server (for testing e.g.) like with a usual business but they don't pay for it of course.

Ah ok. Then yea proxmox is probably a pretty good choice

• @Damian said:

We've had many, many, many discussions about Virtualizor sucking. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/61618/virtualizor-2-7-7-released-with-new-admin-ui is an example, where issues that were noted four years ago were still present.

(edit) More info: Virtualizor looks pretty but you'll find it scales absolutely terrible once you're past a few machines. Most of the companies I know to be using it are certainly not the big players, and if they ever make it to that level, they'll find they regret going with Virtualizor. Better don't!

So you mean virtualizor is not well developed?

• CasterCaster Member

@webcraft said:

@Damian said:

So you mean virtualizor is not well developed?

Virtualizor is meant for NOOB and easy to deploy. If you want something out of box then proxmox is your choice.

• DamianDamian Member

webcraft said: So you mean virtualizor is not well developed?

Oh it's super-well-developed for things that don't matter, such as a flashy admin interface. You will have unusual errors that you do not get a proper error response on and have to go digging in the filesystem to look at the actual errors, then fix by hand.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

go with virtualizor, you will be at peace of working mind

• @agentmishra said:

not really that is why I switched to solusvm.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • We used Virtualizor due to the great support they offer. We have used Virtualizor for the last 3 years with no issues. As for SolusVM the support is not up to par.

• @CycloneServers said:
    We used Virtualizor due to the great support they offer. We have used Virtualizor for the last 3 years with no issues. As for SolusVM the support is not up to par.

You don't need support for something that works!

• Can someone explain solusvm pricing? I don't really get it. Thank you!

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2016

Arjon said: Can someone explain solusvm pricing?

Free Trial - $0 - 30 Days = what it says on the tin
    Master License $10 per month = The cost for every host node you want to run is $10 per month. You can have unlimited number of VMs within that host node.

Slave Only Master License $2.50 per month = if you want to run your SolusVM control panel somewhere other than where you virtualize, it's $2.50 a month.

So to recap, there's three methods:
    -SolusVM control panel installed on same host node where you're selling customer VMs, and you've got one host node: $10 per month

-SolusVM control panel installed on one of the host nodes where you're selling customer VMs, and now you've got multiple host nodes: $10 per month * number of host nodes

-SolusVM control panel you've installed elsewhere, say a VM from another company, managing your host nodes elsewhere: $10 per month * number of host nodes, plus $2.50 for the SolusVM panel-only license

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @linuxthefish said:

@CycloneServers said:
    We used Virtualizor due to the great support they offer. We have used Virtualizor for the last 3 years with no issues. As for SolusVM the support is not up to par.

You don't need support for something that works!

True

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited July 2016

Btw: Can you do a custom install with Virtualizor and KVM/Xen?

• Proxmox- been running it 4-5 years so far, no issues, can run OVZ/KVM on the same hardware.

• You could get SolusVM from buycpanel, only $8.95 per unlimited slave

@timnboys said:

@agentmishra said:

may you let me know what were the prevailing conditions...

• @agentmishra said:

@timnboys said:

@agentmishra said:

just the general issues everyone else said in this thread about virtualizor

@timnboys said:

@agentmishra said:

@timnboys said:

@agentmishra said:

didnt really find any one pointing it to me that they had to switch to solusvm...

if you can let me know of the issues, @virtualizor will help, if i cannot....

else kindly do not troll

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited July 2016

@agentmishra said:

@timnboys said:

@agentmishra said:

@timnboys said:

@agentmishra said:

didnt really find any one pointing it to me that they had to switch to solusvm...

if you can let me know of the issues, virtualizor will help, if i cannot....

else kindly do not troll

please kindly don't act like virtualizor's sales & retention team please
    as I would much prefer proxmox over virtualizor because proxmox is free has ha/failover capabilities and alot more then virtualizor has(and yes I asked virtualizor back when I used them if they had a ha/failover solution and they just told me to use xenserver and put virtualizor on top of it like really??? that is your ha/failover solution if I wanted to spend big bucks on xenserver I am surely not going to pay more just to use virtualizor for it when it should have supported that out of the box like proxmox does.)

@timnboys said:

@agentmishra said:

@timnboys said:

@agentmishra said:

@timnboys said:

@agentmishra said:

if you can let me know of the issues, virtualizor will help, if i cannot....

else kindly do not troll

please kindly don't act like virtualizor's sales & retention team please
    as I would much prefer proxmox over virtualizor because proxmox is free has ha/failover capabilities and alot more then virtualizor has(and yes I asked virtualizor back when I used them if they had a ha/failover solution and they just told me to use xenserver and put virtualizor on top of it like really??? that is your ha/failover solution if I wanted to spend big bucks on xenserver I am surely not going to pay more just to use virtualizor for it when it should have supported that out of the box like proxmox does.)

thats not my or @virtualizor problem

if you do not know how to get things working...

by the way, i am not associated with virtualizor....

kindly stop trolling

you initiated quoting me, while simply you dont know to get things working....

you have now idea about a panel and a package, etc

its not anyone's fault

thanks

• So, do I have to develop my own customer user panel, if I choose Proxmox?

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited July 2016

@zgbkdlm said:
    So, do I have to develop my own customer user panel, if I choose Proxmox?

Unless you use their inbuild (experienced user only) or WHMCS Addon I guess so.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited July 2016

@webcraft said:

@zgbkdlm said:

use blesta's built in proxmox provisioning module or use modulefactory's proxmox module for whmcs

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

SOLUSVM! I USE IT, I HATE IT.

• @timnboys said:

@webcraft said:

@zgbkdlm said:

use blesta's built in proxmox provisioning module or use modulefactory's proxmox module for whmcs

Blesta is quite expensive..

• @webcraft said:

@timnboys said:

@webcraft said:

@zgbkdlm said:

not really I got it cheap from michael dance @Licensecart for owned unbranded license for $140 way cheaper in my opinion then whmcs is(as I checked whmcs and there is no way I can afford $300+ for the same owned unbranded license for whmcs)

• tyktyk Member
    edited July 2016

@timnboys said:

@webcraft said:

@timnboys said:

@webcraft said:

@zgbkdlm said:

not really I got it cheap from michael dance @Licensecart for owned unbranded license for $140 way cheaper in my opinion then whmcs is(as I checked whmcs and there is no way I can afford $300+ for the same owned unbranded license for whmcs)

Blesta has built in proxmox?

is that mean I don't need to purchase extra money for proxmox module, right?

only need to pay for Blesta licence?

• @tyk correct, however it does not seem to have got much attention at all recently, so not sure how feature rich it is with Proxmox v4.x