Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Kidechire end of life
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Kidechire end of life

It was already unofficially pre-announced, but now it's real:

Comments

• sinsin Member

Yeah I noticed that in the panel

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Eh, dam LIES.

Arnaud said he will figure out a solution to move current clients.

I guess you even have to pay the Setup fee if your old server dies.

• Well they say "there is a high probabability that we won't be able to repair or replace the server". Maybe they will be able to fix it if it ever breaks, and that's just a commercial trick to push users to a more expensive server...

• XenosXenos Member

They are losing money on these servers and using this tactic to see if people will give them up. I don't see it working.

• @Neoon said:
    Eh, dam LIES.

Arnaud said he will figure out a solution to move current clients.

I guess you even have to pay the Setup fee if your old server dies.

I just asked if it is possible to migrate without paying the setup fees. Guess what? It's not possible.

• It's time for some online.net special. I hope.

• If I loose my 630 days of uptime I won't be very happy!

• DamianDamian Member

Xenos said: They are losing money on these servers

I've had one of these since they were first released a couple of years ago and have done absolutely nothing at all with it. It's like a free 48 EUR for them; I would imagine there's quite a few other people doing the same thing with it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Ugh, reading the subject I thought they are terminating everyone's servers. But if it's just this announcement, then nope, I'm not cancelling mine...

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Damian said: I've had one of these since they were first released a couple of years ago and have done absolutely nothing at all with it. It's like a free 48 EUR for them; I would imagine there's quite a few other people doing the same thing with it.

I've got the fucker just sitting there doing nothing but seeding 100+GB of fansubbed anime to a semi-private tracker, worth every penny.

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited June 2016

@Geekoine said:
    It's time for some online.net special. I hope.

Yes, there must be something since it's almost 4 months now and they mostly do such promo each 4 months at the end of the month. I hope there will be something with SSD drives like https://documentation.online.net/en/serveur-dedie/offres/serveur-dedibox-md-2014/server-dedibox-md-2014

We had this one previously released for 19,99 Euro: https://documentation.online.net/en/serveur-dedie/offres/serveur-dedibox-md-2013/server-dedibox-md-2013

Thanked by 1Geekoine
    edited June 2016

I find it astonishing if they would at some point throw away(?) thousands of these perfectly working little servers (and still good for many tasks!). One idea what they could do instead is perhaps relaunch this with new 500 GB HDDs for ~4 EUR/mo.

• They can put 18 SC/XC servers in the same place where 12 old SC servers were running.

edited June 2016

Spacedust said: 18 SC/XC servers

Those don't cost 2 EUR or even 6 EUR anymore. The price was hiked to 9 EUR for the cheapest server, along with the 20 EUR setup fee. At this point compared to their current lower end offers the OVH KS-1 seems more attractive.

• They have been of great use while it lasted. Guess my monthly online.net bill will drop another €6 :) Time to give scale way a serious try.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

And I just got a message that my server has been suspended for flooding... It's been my dn42 hub pushing around 4,5Mbit/s and never had any issues (tightened, no root login, fail2ban, pubkey login etc.).

They want €19 to unlock it again, that's a lot of time on the cheapest Scaleway...

• @tomle said:

Do they want 19 euros just to unlock your server? Why?

• That unlock shit has been explained in another thread already: they want 19 euros for immediate unlock, or they want you to contact support so they can discuss with you what happened/how to prevent it. Last option is free, but costs some time.

Unlock fee seems to be for when you immediately need your server back because you're losing millions due to it being down.

Thanked by 2Geekoine tomle
  • @teamacc said:

Can you take a backup, while discussing how to prevent whatsoever? (in case you choose not to pay, I mean)

• blackblack Member

Hopefully they'll have some specials soon, maybe exclusively for people with kidéchires for a day or two.

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited June 2016

KS-1 are super old totally wear out servers. SC are brand new servers with completely new hard drives. KS-1 has just 100 Mbps, SC has 1 Gbps with 2.5 Gbps on local network.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

I'm cancelling two kidechires, because it's time to skimp anyway. Too many idle servers!

• sinsin Member

I use mine just to store backups, could probably save a few bucks by just buying another yearly storage VPS but my kidechire works well and they will have to pry it from my dead body.

• @Geekoine said:

@teamacc said:

Can you take a backup, while discussing how to prevent whatsoever? (in case you choose not to pay, I mean)

I am not affiliated with them in any way, but I think it would be reasonable to ask support to enable your serv so you can pull some backups.

Would require a ticket anyway

Thanked by 1Geekoine
    edited June 2016

Spacedust said: KS-1 are super old totally wear out servers. SC are brand new servers with completely new hard drives. KS-1 has just 100 Mbps, SC has 1 Gbps with 2.5 Gbps on local network.

Some of us just want a dedi for the privacy and security aspect. But as a bonus we get reliability, in my experience even a single HDD dedi is way more reliable than a VPS node with hundreds of people on it, which goes down from time to time due to other clients or the provider fuckups. So nothing of what you listed matters all that much, I'd be just overpaying for stuff I don't need. "Super old" does not matter because motherboards and CPUs basically don't wear out. The N2800 class CPU (heck, even Via Nano) is more than enough for a personal dedi, even if you run SQL with some web apps on it. And last time I checked they came with pretty new (or even brand new) HDDs.

• pineapplepineapple Member
    edited June 2016

+1
    I can not agree more

@rm_ said:

Spacedust said: KS-1 are super old totally wear out servers. SC are brand new servers with completely new hard drives. KS-1 has just 100 Mbps, SC has 1 Gbps with 2.5 Gbps on local network.

Some of us just want a dedi for the privacy and security aspect. But as a bonus we get reliability, in my experience even a single HDD dedi is way more reliable than a VPS node with hundreds of people on it, which goes down from time to time due to other clients or the provider fuckups. So nothing of what you listed matters all that much, I'd be just overpaying for stuff I don't need. "Super old" does not matter because motherboards and CPUs basically don't wear out. The N2800 class CPU (heck, even Via Nano) is more than enough for a personal dedi, even if you run SQL with some web apps on it. And last time I checked they came with pretty new (or even brand new) HDDs.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

when the loss kicks in

• I love my kidechire, Sad that they are EOL.
    Hoping they will give a good deal for people to migrate off them at some point.

• FuslFusl Member

@NanoG6 said:
    I'm cancelling two kidechires, because it's time to skimp anyway. Too many idle servers!

I'd happily rent them from you at double the price :›

• @fusl i got a few free you are welcome to.