Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Value added services would you like to see? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Value added services would you like to see?

2»

Comments

• Another idea:

I think there is a name for this, not sure. How about provide hosting of images for say xxxmb. and unmetered to access the images.

• Offloaded MySQL

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@jcaleb not so concerned about cost right now I would rather just get ideas, obviously I cannot throw in a car or anything :) but things like free monitoring is good, I have written my own multi location monitoring scripts in the past that still are more reliable than pingdom, prtg, solusvm etc so that is a real possibility.

I would need to adapt it for customer use though.

• yes. what i am thinking is you cant take a hit like cost of additional $1 each customer. that will hurt.

• Free shared webhosting account. Maybe 1 domain for each VPS purchased.

@jcaleb well the thing with added services is that you plan them in to your overall costs even if it costs me $150 - $200 p/month to stand up the environment that provides the services when spread across all customers the cost is small per customer and can attract new ones that you may not have got without it.

• @JElliot Ah well, you can't please everyone. :p

• Free consultation. Not managed. But something like people can ticket and ask how to do something. Not just for hardware/network problem.

• @jcaleb this is nice, but it can easily get out of control. Imagine 20 people a day ticketing you for such things - you can't do any other work then. It is better to seek such advices on forums. There are many people on forums such as this one who could give you a good advise.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2012

That is true. I am just throwing out ideas, maybe it can morph into something workable.

• How about just make things better without any additional free stuff? Like in prometeus board, there are lots of tutorials now and keep on increasing. Maybe you can have a wiki or something, with good stuff that keeps on growing.

Sure lots of information is a good thing, and honestly something I need to work on, I am thinking more along the lines of something that people can use as a service rather than passive information.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said: Sure lots of information is a good thing, and honestly something I need to work on, I am thinking more along the lines of something that people can use as a service rather than passive information.

I'm in the process of building our blog now. Have 1 unfinished article into it and already 5 tickets regarding it. So I think this is something that people really look for and really like, you should take it in account as well ;)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Free downtime page fallover (with hosted DNS). Let the user define some kind of 'outage' HTML page that will be hosted on an entirely different server (a VPS, even), and whenever their VPS goes down, automatically change the DNS to point at that off-site outage page, so that visitors to those domains are presented with a "we'll be back shortly" page instead of a dead connection.

• bretonbreton Member
    edited November 2012

@AnthonySmith said: How about a shared hosting account coupon for a free basic shared hosting account to go with the VPS?

I'd use it for email receiving, if the plan had some boxes.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2012

Email sending service, with bulk api

• @AnthonySmith said: Anyone charging for IPv6 should be beaten with a wet shoe lace! :)

I offer native in the Netherlands however the USA DC has no support as yet and frankly I do not want to offer tunnelled IPv6 so I will be waiting until early next year for IPv6 in the USA.

Except that part where ARIN charges for IPV6 and you would be eating the cost if you didn't charge for it.

• @Corey said: Except that part where ARIN charges for IPV6 and you would be eating the cost if you didn't charge for it.

This, providers might get them free at the moment, but that will change in the near future.

• Free VPS with ipv6 only, for generic offloading of anything

• Offering a DNS cluster would definitely be useful I think (from my point of view access to a cPanel DNS cluster would be something I would value highly), and of course backup space is good!

• I dont think right now there is a good way to give sub users access to a cluster. If so they would see all the zones correct?

So some sort of DNS cluster is a possibility, a shared hosting account with a bit of space and mailboxes would be easy and a monitoring solution as well as some backup space offsite.

I stand by my point on IPv6 :)

• titanicsaledtitanicsaled Member
    edited November 2012

@joepie91 said: Free downtime page fallover (with hosted DNS). Let the user define some kind of 'outage' HTML page that will be hosted on an entirely different server (a VPS, even), and whenever their VPS goes down, automatically change the DNS to point at that off-site outage page, so that visitors to those domains are presented with a "we'll be back shortly" page instead of a dead connection.

This!

• @Damian said:

@AnthonySmith said: Offloaded MySQL

I've gone back and forth on this, as I'd like to offer it because I know people would like it, and it would help with load on our nodes, but it wouldn't be good business to spend the colo cost for a service that only 5-10 people would use.

You could always start out with it in a VPS on one of your existing nodes. I know BuyVM's shared SQL service is set up as an OpenVZ VPS on a dedicated box for convenience (and cPanel licensing).

• @Wintereise said: Send a massmail to your clients and ask? Usually easiest way to gauge actual interest.

Spamming clients? :)

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2012

@GetKVM_Ash said: This, providers might get them free at the moment, but that will change in the near future.

Providers get their initial allocations for free right now because they want people to adopt ipv6, and don't say 'but you pay less than a penny per ipv6'..... because you pay like two pennies for an ipv4 base cost.

Providers have always said that the cost of the IP is the management and hardware costs on the back end.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@lbft said: You could always start out with it in a VPS on one of your existing nodes. I know BuyVM's shared SQL service is set up as an OpenVZ VPS on a dedicated box for convenience (and cPanel licensing).

We do it as an OVZ to make upgrades easy.

Last upgrade in SJ we went from a 4 x 500G setup to a 4 x 2TB + SSD + all new box in general.

We could have cpmove'd each account but in the end we did a scheduled downtime, vzmigrated and were back online w/o any files (configs, end users, etc) missing.

Shared SQL isn't something i'd just throw on a random box unless you got a lot of RAM to feed it as well as IO. More and more users are moving to InnoDB and that loves RAM.

I know our instance in SJ is pushing:

-01:34:44- addons01.frantech.ca:/ :: root # mysqladmin status
    Uptime: 1597920 Threads: 641 Questions: 2564565958 Slow queries: 25201 Opens: 2242001 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 8192 Queries per second avg: 1604.940

eats 14GB RAM and pushes 4 - 5 loads.

Does the box make as much per AMP as a VPS node? Hell no, but the service was a legacy feature we had during Frantech and people enjoyed it.

Francisco

1. SSD VPS offering
    2. Offload mysql
    3. Snapshot backup type
    4. Gigabit port or after 3 or 6 months
    5. Low cost licenses for cPanel, WHMC and others
    6. Jobbing offers from Providers in exchange for free monthly service. Many of the customers here are capable of doing many IT related tasks (faq pages, howto articles, etc.,)