Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Value added services would you like to see?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Value added services would you like to see?

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited November 2012 in General

Hi Folks,

Just sitting here wondering what else could be added as a value added service or qwerty extra and wondered if anyone ever thought "Why don't hosts offer xyz with their VPS"

I have seen the obvious ones such as:

Free Offsite backup Space (which is already on offer.)
Offloaded MySQL
URPad offer gifts as loyalty rewards which I thought was fun and quirky
DNS services (never looked in to it too much)

Looking for suggestions for value added services not so much bolt on's like DDOS protected IP's which you pay extra for.

Any ideas?

Anthony.

Comments

• We have a lot of requests for a sub-domain, that could be a possibility?

• ... maybe provide native IPv6... could always use more providers with native IPv6.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@getKVM_Ash do you mean give people something like anthony.getkvm.com ? sounds a bit of a potential for abuse, I suppose a separate domain could be registered specifically for it.

@kbreezie interesting that people view IPv6 as just a value added service rather than a core service.

• @AnthonySmith said: @getKVM_Ash do you mean give people something like anthony.getkvm.com ? sounds a bit of a potential for abuse, I suppose a separate domain could be registered specifically for it.

Yeah. Like ihservices.com or something. Certainly not using your own TLD unless you want marking as malware etc lol.

• @AnthonySmith I would rather it be a "core" service, but the # of providers that have native IPv6 are just not enough to actually classify it as a core service. So for any that actually provide it, seems like a value to have it before they need it :P

Funny thing is, when it does come time to actually needing them, some hosts might actually start charging for it.

Anyone charging for IPv6 should be beaten with a wet shoe lace! :)

I offer native in the Netherlands however the USA DC has no support as yet and frankly I do not want to offer tunnelled IPv6 so I will be waiting until early next year for IPv6 in the USA.

How about a shared hosting account coupon for a free basic shared hosting account to go with the VPS?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

That might be interesting depending on what said person is using their servers for. Like maybe their website setup on the shared being easier to set up stuff like ftp, emails etc. but might put something heavier on the vps like a dedicated database. (or be like "hey baby... I got you a website" to your spouse to justify the extra monthly expense)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

How about anniversary promotions? Like on a client's 6 month anniversary (6 months of uninterrupted service) they receive a special promotion code for 10% off that can be used 6 times so they can share it with friends/family. At 1 year they will get 12 uses, 18 months is 18 uses, and so on.

@craidb interesting, never really considered CDN any ideas on what platform it could be based, a good CDN can cost a fortune to set up and maintain.

@KuJoe I like the idea however it is more of a marketing gimmick than a service and I imagine not fun to automate.

• I'd like a free Pocket Lamp. Oh, wait... ;-)

• @AnthonySmith said: and I imagine not fun to automate.

If you're using WHMCS, it's not that hard. Just create an arbitrarily-named discount code with uses = 6, etc.

@Damian yeah I know that :) what I was referring too was generating one per user every x months along with an email saying thanks and here is your code.

Not something I would want to do manually as it would become a daily task taking a fair bit of time.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@rds100 said: I'd like a free Pocket Lamp. Oh, wait... ;-)

Had that idea actually, however turns out it won't end up cheap to get them delivered from China to BG and than send to the US.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost so find a partner in China who would dropship it to whatever address you tell them to ship it to.

• sub-domains = easy :)

• @anthonysmith noticed CDN on a few offers here recently. I'm guessing they are CDN resellers mostly with a free/low usage tier rather than the providers building their own. Certainly a 'nice to have'

• Regarding:

@AnthonySmith said: Offloaded MySQL

I've gone back and forth on this, as I'd like to offer it because I know people would like it, and it would help with load on our nodes, but it wouldn't be good business to spend the colo cost for a service that only 5-10 people would use.

How many people would actually use this?

• How many people would actually use this?

Send a massmail to your clients and ask? Usually easiest way to gauge actual interest.

• VPN

@jcaleb so you mean an additional VPN only account as well as a VPS?

• another type of service, yes.

• @Wintereise

Someone will cry spam.

@jcaleb sorry I do not mean other types of service, I mean extra things that you get for free with a VPS, like backup space, DNS services etc.

• Ohhh... you mean you are thinking offload MySQL for free?

@jcaleb yes that sort of thing, I am looking for suggestions for things to 'throw in for free' also known as value added services :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2012

How about Free monitoring?

@jcaleb Interesting idea indeed.

• Its hard to come up with idea, that will have minimal cost implication but big value for customers.