Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tunneled IPv6 > No IPv6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tunneled IPv6 > No IPv6?

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited November 2012 in General

Curious about your thoughts on this question. Today I set up ipv6 via tunnel on our Denver node, and with HE having the server in Denver it's not a bad deal in my opinion. I'm curious as to how those of you who desire IPv6 feel about it being provided through a tunnel. Obviously direct allocation to the DC would be preferable, but do you consider this to be "better than nothing" or more of a shady method of claiming IPv6 support?

I know how I feel about it, but I couldn't care less about IPv6 as I'm still bitter about the refusal to crack down on unused and never to be used IPv4 allocations, so I'm interested in your thoughts.

Comments

• We provide IPv4 and IPv6**
    **IPv6 provided by HE tunnel... more details

If you're up front about it, 99% of the people won't care.

• Just note that HE blocks IRC ports unless you're a Sage (certification)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@telephone Thanks for that, had no idea. Time to hit sage ;)

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

In a way it's nice that something is offered, but like Bamn said, if you're up front about it, then it's not a huge deal. Some people may not mind tunneled IPv6 (unless they're trying to set up their own private VPN or something, or access certain IRC networks thru them), but may desire the assistance in getting it set up for them.

Personally I would prefer native IPv6 to all of my VPSes, but not every datacenter is there yet, and I would hope that most providers keep commenting to their datacenters when will it be ready and so forth, so that there's not just that half-ass mentality of using tunnels in the long run.

@telephone and course if you're the provider, providing the tunnel, that isn't hard to do [getting up to Sage, I mean hell I got sage certification with them, wasn't that hard].

• WunderbarWunderbar Member
    edited November 2012

@jarland said: @telephone Thanks for that, had no idea. Time to hit sage ;)

The tests are pretty easy and you get a free "IPv6 Certified Sage" T-shirt :)

About the IPv6, 99% won't use IPv6 yet and the other 1% will be happy that there is some sort of IPv6 connectivity. But like the others mentioned: be up front about it.

• @Wunderbar course to get past some of those tests you need to be using services that are IPv6 ready, fortunately it wasn't that long ago that Google apps now passes the IPv6 MX test, that was usually the main hurdle for some people.

• Better than nothing, I think.
    But frankly, I would go to set a tunnel on my vps if I really need IPv6 access, and if it's not a must, I just let it go with IPv4 only.
    So this is not likely to be counted when I'm looking for a vps, most time.

• I'm already become sage in HE :D
    So, I will try to open irc tonight

• @Dionysus said: I'm not so technologically savvy and was wondering what use do you all have for ipv6?

IPv4 is almost all used up, therefore we're all moving over to IPv6. Its just another way to access your site.

• I'd care more if my ISP had IPv6 support in my area (Comcast). :/

• @Kairus: Yeah you're telling me. It bites that one of the bigger ISPs in USA doesn't support IPv6 .

• I got the free shirt from the sage certification. :D pretty nice hanes shirt.

• @dionysus Well IPv6 can be used simply the same way you use IPv4, though there's quite a few extra features that more technical users will take advantage of.

I think at this point, it's about readiness, making sure all the software/etc that you use is IPv6 compatible, polished and that yourself gets familiar with it as the need of it becomes more and more apparent. I think the biggest area that will be using IPv6 natively will be residential locations and mobile devices, and that IPv4 will probably be reserved to large infrastructure until it's all phased out. Mobile/Internet providers have more to benefit from giving customers IPv6 addressing and then using IPv6-to-4 for connectivity (which some mobile providers already do).

• @David_P waiting on mine, I didn't even know bout it til someone mentioned it so I went a head and got up from Tech to Sage and submitted for my address.

• @kbeezie said: @David_P waiting on mine, I didn't even know bout it til someone mentioned it so I went a head and got up from Tech to Sage and submitted for my address.

yeah, it took awhile to get here.. almost a month.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2012

@Kairus said: I'd care more if my ISP had IPv6 support in my area (Comcast). :/

I actually was surprised to see when I upgraded my wireless router recently that it was able to obtain a ipv6 ip address (not all routers have ipv6 compat. unless you are running dd-wrt maybe), and I am actually using Comcast. I think it is based on the area and also which hardware is in use. If I understand correctly not all modems support ipv6, so you may need to get a newer modem (and or router). I would say if your serious about it, it may be worth a call to Comcast to ask them.

My 2 cents.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@David_P took me bout 2 days total time, one day to get up to technician, and then up to sage once google apps mail actually validated for IPv6 rDns. (I mean seriously... it's multiple choices and it's not hard to remember... answering those tests... and actually administrating an IPv6 network are two things apart entirely).

• @kbeezie said: @David_P took me bout 2 days total time, one day to get up to technician, and then up to sage once google apps mail actually validated for IPv6 rDns. (I mean seriously... it's multiple choices and it's not hard to remember... answering those tests... and actually administrating an IPv6 network are two things apart entirely).

Meant the shirt getting here :) took me one day to get to Sage about 2 hours or so lol. Pretty staightforward.

• @David_P ooooooh lol. was gona say...