Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 /64 help needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 /64 help needed

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hey

With my kimsufi i got a /64 IPv6 block
Now the question i have is, i would like to use one of these adresses, how can i do that?

when i type ifconfig i see this at inet6 addr: fe80::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:159e/64

So.. How can i use one of those?

Comments

• How do you mean use?

• fe80:: are link-local addresses, you can't use them to connect to/from the internet.

• @Ishaq

Bind it to a program, say a webserver.

• For example, i want a IPv6 only website, can i then add fe80::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:159e:1000 as the IPv6 to Apache webserver?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@joodle fe80:: are link-local, they're the same as 127.0.0.1, not public accessible IP, if you were given a /64 block you need to set it up on your VPS so that at least the first address is auto-configured, from there depending on your operating system, you can create more aliases (or in some cases simply bind it to software). But you still need to have the initial+gateway/route set up first.

• @kbeezie thanks man... and erm... nice font size -.-

• @joodle it was a typo using the hashtag instead of at symbol :P lol.

• What operating system are you using, and did they assign you a range/gateway addresses in email?

• I'm using Debian 6.0 64

and they gave me this: IPv6: 2001:41d0:2:091d::/64

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

Well I know CentOS in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 I have

IPV6ADDR=2001:4858:aaaa:0006:0000:0000:0000:0002/64

IPV6_DEFAULTGW=2001:4858:aaaa:0006:0000:0000:0000:0001

Basically marking the first address + gateway. (the :: is just a filler for segments that are just zero filled, but some configurations require full addresses). Similar setup in FreeBSD.

Far as Debian 6 goes, Google is your friend : http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIPv6

You may have to restart it if they assigned it to you recently and you haven't restarted yet.

• Yeah, i used this: ifconfig eth0:1 2001:41d0:2:091d::1337 up
    And that seems to work

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

can you ping6 it from elsehwhere? or able to ping6 ipv6.google.com from inside the VPS? If not then you need to configure the default gateway (usually :1 of the block).

Edit: I can ping 2001:41d0:2:091d::1337 from one of my other servers (~111ms)

• Yeah, i can ping it, i can also ping the IPv6 adress of the Server from my pc

• The translation is a little dodgy but this should get you up and running:

http://help.ovh.co.uk/Ipv4Ipv6

• OVH's knowledgebase has a setup guide on it, which @abat linked.

That's the proper way to do this.