Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Catalyst Host - 2GB OVZ for $7 and new Dallas location! Time to move from Chicago!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Catalyst Host - 2GB OVZ for $7 and new Dallas location! Time to move from Chicago!

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited November 2012 in Offers

I'm not just making an offer, I'm reintroducing myself to you. One of the biggest fears around here seems to be whether or not people really know their provider. I'm going to put myself out there for you even more than I have in the past and tell you why I deserve your business. First, for those who don't care about the rest, the promo to kick off our new expansion into Dallas! The regular plans have also been extended to Dallas and are listed at the bottom of this post.

*IPv6 Not currently offered.

OFFER SOLD OUT. To continue to say thank you, here are three additional promotional offers for the remainder of the month!
Tall: Double RAM, BW, Storage.
Grande: Double BW, Storage.
Venti: Double Storage
Automatically applied upon VPS creation.

PROMO:
Trenta
CPU: 4 CPU Cores
RAM: 2GB
Swap: 512MB (vSwap)
Storage: 75GB (HW Raid10 with BBU)
Bandwidth: 1TB @ 1Gpbs
$10/m OR $7/m with promo code "nomorechicago"
ONLY 10 AVAILABLE, ONLY IN DALLAS
Order: http://catalysthost.com/clientarea/cart.php?a=add&pid=35
Test IP: 192.211.54.101
Test file: http://192.211.54.101/100mb.test
bench.sh:
CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
Number of cores : 4
CPU frequency :  2000.118 MHz
Total amount of ram : 2048 MB
Total amount of swap : 512 MB
Download speed from CacheFly: 93.1MB/s 
Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 10.6MB/s 
Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 83.8MB/s 
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.26MB/s 
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 11.2MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.69MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 23.0MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 30.3MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 26.1MB/s 
I/O speed :  294 MB/s

As always, the most important thing that I want to do is thank our clients. I couldn't do this without you, obviously. Catalyst is all about you. Your success is my success. Your failure is my failure. We're in this together. It doesn't matter what plan you subscribe to, you are paying me to look out for you. I'm not doing you any favors, you're doing me the favor by giving me the chance to serve you and your clients.

Has your VPS provider let you down? Are you ready to move to a provider that wants to treat you like a paying customer? Do you feel that "unmanaged" is too often cited as an excuse for providing inadequate service?

Well I'm not here to sweet talk you. I'm not here to make myself out to be perfect. In fact, I'm going to tell you every mistake I've made as a VPS provider. I'm going to tell you what happened and how I resolved it. You want some insight into how I manage my nodes? Look no further.

Summary of issues since launch:

Denver, CO "node2" - Outgoing DDOS caused kernel panic, reboot followed.
Resolution: Manual approval on all orders of 100mbit unmetered package, increased level of fraud detection.
Denver, CO "node2" - Bandwidth dropped to average of 40mbit burst for the entire node.
Resolution: Waited for FDC Denver to address the issue. Persisted for roughly four days. I might have punched a few insignificant objects over my anger at my inability to solve the issue as it was completely in the hands of the datacenter. Provided $1 compensation to everyone on the node.
Denver, CO "node2" - WHMCS initiated termination of a container, wrong container was deleted.
Resolution: Termination or suspension now done manually, client given 3 months credit, apologized sincerely. I was quite upset over this for several days. There is no justification, no excuse, and the container was so new that it hadn't been backed up.
Lenoir, NC "node4" - Kernel panic. Was working on wife's car at the time, didn't hear my phone ding. Took almost an hour to get the issue resolved because of that.
Resolution: Added repetitive warnings, louder alerts on my phone, offered compensation to anyone who requested it.
Biggest problem with Catalyst: Denver. A lot of people love it and they're getting a lot more than their money's worth of use. The hardware is great. The bandwidth is trash. It's the best trash around, but it's trash.
Resolution: Denver is another product, I won't deny people what they want, but I'm not marketing it heavily. We need two locations for our VPS offering and Lenoir, NC is the only real location that I'm proud of. We're adding Dallas to the mix with a brand new E5 node with no corners cut. It's a beast and I'm proud to announce that it continues with my demand for our business. That demand being that every node must be better than the one before it.

Now you know who I am. So what's next? Let me get to know you. Tell me how I can provide you service that you can feel confident in so that you can finally sleep at night. If I know you and your needs, I can even better tailor my brand of system administration to your services. You're welcome to handle everything on your own without filling me in, but I'm offering you the chance to have a provider that can look out for your best interest.

OpenVZ - Lenoir, NC & Dallas, TX

Tall
2 CPU Cores
256MB RAM / PROMO: 512MB
256MB vSwap / PROMO: 512MB
20GB Storage / PROMO: 40GB
300GB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps / PROMO: 600GB
http://catalysthost.com/clientarea/cart.php?a=add&pid=32
Grande
2 CPU Cores
512MB RAM / PROMO: 1024MB
512MB vSwap / PROMO: 1024MB
30GB Storage / PROMO: 60GB
400GB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps
http://catalysthost.com/clientarea/cart.php?a=add&pid=33
Venti
4 CPU Cores
1024MB RAM
1024MB vSwap
40GB Storage / PROMO: 80GB
500GB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps
http://catalysthost.com/clientarea/cart.php?a=add&pid=34
*Stock currently only available in Dallas

Denver options still available here: http://catalysthost.com/clientarea/cart.php?gid=4

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Fantastic provider, I feel only 10 slots will not be enough. :)

• @jarland said: I'm not doing you any favors

No, no you are not. Especially not with deals like this.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rm_ said: I feel only 10 slots will not be enough

I know, that saddens me the most! But above all else, top notch performance is the goal :)

@ihatetonyy said: No, no you are not. Especially not with deals like this.

<3

• Much more deserving of the business my friend :)

@GetKVM_Ash said: Much more deserving of the business my friend :)

Ty sir, now post a US offer before I get impatient :P

• @jarland said: Ty sir, now post a US offer before I get impatient :P

Its coming in one form or another soon enough :)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I like the layout of this offer

@Fliphost said: I like the layout of this offer

Only because I first pasted it in and thought "Oh dear God that looks terrible" haha

@jarland I can't even begin to tell you how many times i have tried to tab when posting an offer -_- lol

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited November 2012

Incero Dallas

[root@dysprosium ~]# wget -O /dev/null http://192.211.54.101/100mb.test
    --2012-11-11 19:03:27--  http://192.211.54.101/100mb.test
    Connecting to 192.211.54.101:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: “/dev/null”

100%[================================================================>] 104,857,600  112M/s   in 0.9s

2012-11-11 19:03:28 (112 MB/s) - “/dev/null” saved [104857600/104857600]

[root@dysprosium ~]# mtr --report 192.211.54.101
    HOST: dysprosium.node.simpleno.de Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
      1. 192.211.49.193                0.0%    10    2.0   2.2   2.0   2.9   0.3
      2. 192.211.52.98                 0.0%    10    0.9   1.0   0.8   1.6   0.3
      3. 192.211.54.66                 0.0%    10    0.3   0.2   0.2   0.4   0.1
      4. 192.211.54.101                0.0%    10    0.3   0.2   0.2   0.3   0.0

Oh wait... ;)

@SimpleNode said: Oh wait... ;)

Amazing how fast it transfers for being 15 feet away!

• Sold! Between you and @fliphost, my LEB addiction is fueled for the evening ;) /and I'm no 1 monther/

@craigb Glad to have you with us

@craigb said: Sold!

And when the node reaches capacity and still performs as it does today, I will have earned your business. Thanks for giving me the opportunity!

• 75G is pretty nice.. you have any cheapish panels?

@twain said: you have any cheapish panels?

Guessing you mean cPanel licensing and such, which we actually do not currently offer. I wouldn't feel right charging what I'd have to, knowing it can be obtained from a third party for so much less.

• @jarland - understood

• @twain ISPConfig3 -> ispconfig.com - it's free. Google ispconfig+howtoforge+ubuntu (or your favorite distro) and it explains how to install it. Beats the crap out of cPanel if you're willing to learn.

@jarland nice unique offer, you guys are a good hosting company :)

@marcm said: nice unique offer, you guys are a good hosting company :)

Thank you and right back at you!

• @marcm - thanks yeah I may actually try that one out... the good part about that one is that it will integrate with my plan of having 2 or 3 other lebs that will run dns... so I can make a larger leb the main ispconfig master, and then have 2 or 3 smaller ispconfigs running only dns as slaves of the master. The trick may be running the 2 or 3 ispconfig slaves (with only dns plus whatever minimum services that ispconfig requires) on the 256 lebs that I have.. btw anyone run ispconfig, or more specifically ispconfig as a dns slave only, on 256M?

E-mail sent to clients:

We have revised our Terms of Service agreement to clarify the following policies:
    Large File Policy
    Audio/Video Streaming Policy

Effective immediately, these policies exclude all Virtual Private Server products. These policies were never intended for these product and have not been enforced against these products. The lack of clarification of this policy was an oversight on our part, as the policy was written at the time that we only provided shared hosting. Please feel free to approach us with any questions or concerns that you may have about our policies and we will be more than happy to discuss them.

Thank you,
    Jarland Donnell

• @jarland said: Audio/Video Streaming Policy

Effective immediately, these policies exclude all Virtual Private Server products. These policies were never intended for these product and have not been enforced against these products.

• How many of these are left?

Currently 3 remaining

• I hope you know @jarland.

You're amazing.

One left!

edited November 2012

Done! Thanks for breaking in the new node guys! Our regular plans aren't too bad either, and the resources are always negotiable if you need something a little different. Just open a presales ticket and I'll make you the best deal I can!

@jarland said: OFFER SOLD OUT. To continue to say thank you, here are three additional promotional offers for the remainder of the month!

Tall: Double RAM, BW, Storage.
    Grande: Double BW, Storage.
    Venti: Double Storage
    Automatically applied upon VPS creation.

As an offer to anyone who missed the 2GB, I've added these throughout the rest of the month.

• what are the payment options?