Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How safe is Zoho for a business
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How safe is Zoho for a business

We started using Zoho and a couple of their products a few months ago and so far it's been excellent. I see they offer way more than just email and I was looking for a few opinions on how safe they are. We are thinking of migrating to the following:

• Mail
  • Chat
  • Docs
  • Projects
  • Bugtracker
  • Vault (for passwords)

Any good/bad opinions are welcome. Thanks

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Safe as in...their security? reliability? likelihood to stay in business?

• Yes :)

Mostly security. Don't care if Facebook will buy them.

• nowprovisionnowprovision Member
    edited January 2016

Reliaibility? Terrible. The status page is more fake and delayed than Linode, i.e. end of the world = partial outage.

When the problems occurred mail was severely delayed for 3days with imap sessions constantly timing out, status page remained green because it only affected 15% of customers, threads in the forums built up quickly with lame answers, support tickets went unanswered for days (if ever), and the telephone support went to voicemail all hours of the day. This was a premium/biz account at $50/mo for 10 users.. This was rather embarrassing given I had recommended them based on reviews.

Eventually I hunted down any Zoho employees on twitter including the CEO and eventually they followed up and said they are working on a fix.

I concede that aside from this instance it was largely uneventful however judge a company by how they response when shit hits the fan, i.e. they left me (and hundreds of others users in the dark).

Security? Not sure, but they implemented cut-off if you page too fast in Zoho Mail (i.e. click back through your mail) and you'll get blocked for 1hr. This is so lame that I actually fear for how they implemented any security aspects

I have a friend who uses for his business, a booking agent, and he remains with them despite me encouraging him to move too, albeit he is on the free version and 1 account, his response was "meh, if I cant check my emails for a few hours then no different than being passed out drunk" I guess in those scenarios it works

• Thanks for the input. Will look into it. Honestly I don't know what options I have as I don't want Google Apps so Zoho was perfect for us.

• My (very limited) experience has been nothing short of unreliable. Emails bouncing, emails delayed.

• bogdang said: I was looking for a few opinions on how safe they are

Always have a backup plan in my experience. I got locked out of Gmail (Google Apps) for an unspecified reason and had no email access for 72 hours.

• Why go Zoho when you can go MXRoute?

@Jarland

Thanked by 1jar
  • @NexHost said:
    Why go Zoho when you can go MXRoute?

Jarland

Cause it is free

• A friend of mine, to whom I recommended Zoho, is actually quite unhappy with their e-mail service and is migrating to Google Apps. He has mail delivery issues and uptime issues.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited January 2016

I'm no real issue with them however since I've moved a domain to Zoho any e-mails under it are getting some shitty spam... Sure it lands in spam but it's annoying. Before the domain was with Microsoft's free service but I've moved it after they closed it down and made it paid only. And the spam started coming once we really just moved Zoho.

• I use zoho they are Ok in my opinion time to time i find people who doen't want to pay for email i advice them against it but they will eventually land on the zoho.

They are not bad security wise they implemented 2FA and i have a client who have more that 500 email accounts hosted with them they feel secured

2 months back they have a very serious issue like email delay and their gateway was a DDOS ed they but they are stable for the most part

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

They are unreliable, wouldn't use them for personal stuff, much less business.

• I've also experienced some issues on a few domains I have with them.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@colingpt said:
    Cause it is free

There's always a trade off somewhere, it's just a matter of whether the trade off is tolerable to you. Obviously the best solution is Google Apps.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • @colingpt said:
    Cause it is free

Not free, but affordable enough that the cost doesn't really matter.

I don't use mxroute but it has a very positive reputation and @jarland is well-respected.

Thanked by 1jar
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

Yeah, well you can avoid the middlemen(Yahoo, Skype etc messengers) if you have buddies at the NSA.

edit:

zoho is also a US corp, right? Oh, well.

jarland said: best solution is Google Apps.

• @jarland said:
    There's always a trade off somewhere, it's just a matter of whether the trade off is tolerable to you. Obviously the best solution is Google Apps.

do respect your effort in the industry, at least feel that from how people believe in you and mention you first when someone would like to find a email host.

@JustAMacUser said:
    I don't use mxroute but it has a very positive reputation and jarland is well-respected.

it has a free plan for 10 person, I am now in use. And by referring to reach 25 free account. I don't use it normally so really don't how reliable they are, just can receive mail I need to receive since I began to use them.

Thanked by 1jar
  • colingptcolingpt Member
    edited January 2016

@GM2015 said:

zoho is also a US corp, right

I guess it's Indian.. :)

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

After Gapps discontinued free Plan, I tried Zoho & the experience wasn't so good. Emails were not being received for an invalid reason. Then, I used Inbox.eu & they served Me pretty Good. This was all for Free Option. I use Gapps Paid for My Business Purpose though.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited January 2016

colingpt said: it has a free plan for 10 person, I am now in use. And by referring to reach 25 free account. I don't use it normally so really don't how reliable they are, just can receive mail I need to receive since I began to use them.

My apologies. In re-reading my comment I was not at all clear.

What I meant was that mxroute is not free, but their rates are so low that realistically buying service there is not a huge investment financially.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • This thread surprises me, I haven't ever had an issue with Zoho email.

JustAMacUser said: is not a huge investment financially

Much less so now that the entry level cost for equal outbound email treatment is $50/m with MailChannels ;)

Not regretting that choice.

• Zoho to Office 365 to Google Apps now we are with Google Apps = No more haasle as long as you pay your bills

• @jarland said:
    There's always a trade off somewhere, it's just a matter of whether the trade off is tolerable to you. Obviously the best solution is Google Apps Office 365

• @colingpt said:
    it has a free plan for 10 person, I am now in use. And by referring to reach 25 free account. I don't use it normally so really don't how reliable they are, just can receive mail I need to receive since I began to use them.

I don't recall mxroute having a free plan? Are you referring to zoho?

• colingptcolingpt Member
    edited January 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    I don't recall mxroute having a free plan? Are you referring to zoho?

Wake up dude! Although I don't know which time zone are you in XD. Finally, you get on the right trace. :P

@seaeagle said:

for email host? office 365?? really?.......

• @colingpt said:

Well its 3:30pm in the afternoon and I didn't get any coffee at lunch. But I do get lost from time to time, regardless of the time.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • @TheOnlyDK said:
    Well its 3:30pm in the afternoon and I didn't get any coffee at lunch. But I do get lost from time to time, regardless of the time.

west coast? I am at 3 hours later, so can't help you anymore. take care, hahah

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • @colingpt said:

Yep. GMail is great online and via mobile app. Offline/Desktop GMail is terrible compared to Outlook and Office365.

edited January 2016

@colingpt said:

Microsoft randomly routes mail to /dev/null without justification, without bouncing email. They are not a legitimate contender for anyone who absolutely needs to receive email or needs someone to speak to when they do not receive it. Google doesn't have that issue so you don't need to speak to anyone about it.

Friends don't let friends use bad email services. Google Apps is the most functional email service with the best delivery standards. This is coming from me, someone who wants to be their competitor :)