Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[NEWS] LastPass Joins the LogMeIn Family
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[NEWS] LastPass Joins the LogMeIn Family

J1021J1021 Member
edited October 2015 in General

It’s a big day here at LastPass. We’re thrilled to announce that we’re joining LogMeIn. As one of the world’s leading SaaS companies, we can’t imagine a better team to align with our values and product-driven mission. With their experience in growing successful brands like join.me, we’re excited to join LogMeIn in delivering the next generation of identity and access management for individuals, teams and companies, with LastPass at the forefront.

When we started LastPass in 2008, we set out on a mission to provide a smart solution to the growing password problem. We aimed to build a product that helped people efficiently manage their passwords, in a way that not only increased their productivity but also improved their security.

Since then, LastPass has grown by leaps and bounds, helping millions of consumers and tens of thousands of businesses worldwide with password management. We are so incredibly proud of our team’s accomplishments and grateful to the users who have supported us on our journey.

What does this mean for you as a LastPass user? Great things! We will continue to build and improve LastPass for our free, Premium, and Enterprise customers. Together with LogMeIn, we’ll be able to accomplish more, faster – providing an even better service to millions of people. As we become part of the LogMeIn family over the next several months, we’ll be releasing updates to LastPass, introducing new features, and continuing to grow the service as we work to bring LastPass to millions more who struggle with passwords.

Again, thank you to all of our users and supporters! We’re as committed as ever to providing you with a secure, easy-to-use password manager. Stay tuned as we open the next chapter of our story with LogMeIn and build the future of identity and access management, together.

Joe Siegrist & The LastPass Team

https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/10/lastpass-joins-logmein.html/

So, perhaps it's time to be jumping that ship.

Comments

• Yeah, fuck LastPass.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • why do I feel that things will turn bad?

• people should switch to better alternative Roboform.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

TarZZ92 said: people should switch to better alternative Roboform.

Roboform basically doesn't let you leave. Most pass providers allow you to export your data. Roboform over the years has basically removed that function.

• Awmusic12635 said: Roboform basically doesn't let you leave. Most pass providers allow you to export your data. Roboform over the years has basically removed that function.

its not impossible though...

• I use Enpass for my passwords, and I love it.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Indeed, time to jump ship. This can't end well.

• kalamkalam Member
    edited October 2015

Fuck...

Back to KeePass I guess.

Thanked by 2yomero NexHost
  • TomTom Member

Well then... Ditching LastPass most likely.

• i want to self host, but im not sure its safer than/with lastpass :(

• @marl said:
    i want to self host, but im not sure its safer than/with lastpass :(

KeePass & SpiderOak is pretty good combo IMO. KeePass's Windows and Android clients are pretty good, could work better in Linux though. Don't own OS X or iOS devices so can't comment on them, although, it uses Mono in OS X too, so I'd assume it's similar to Linux.

• What the heck is wrong with logmein fellows? I've never heard of them.

• @GM2015 said:
    What the heck is wrong with logmein fellows? I've never heard of them.

i dunno. but them (lastpass) selling or whatever it's called sounds bad.

@drazilox said:
    KeePass & SpiderOak is pretty good combo IMO. KeePass's Windows and Android clients are pretty good, could work better in Linux though. Don't own OS X or iOS devices so can't comment on them, although, it uses Mono in OS X too, so I'd assume it's similar to Linux.

is there a way to migrate from lastpass to keepass?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Logmein has been around a lot longer than LastPass, and they have some pretty solid products. I'm not worried by this at all. Granted, LastPass is my secondary password manager. I only keep the less important stuff there lately.

• Dashlane is great if anyone was interested in a new password manager

Thanked by 1heyits_bob
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

drazilox said: KeePass & SpiderOak is pretty good combo IMO.

Is SpiderOak just the backup part of this equation? If so I think you also need Dropbox or something for universal access across devices.

Tarsnap is another fine backup choice when you have tiny amounts of data like this. $5 can last you years.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @raindog308 said:
    Tarsnap is another fine backup choice when you have tiny amounts of data like this. $5 can last you years.

SpiderOak is available on pretty much everything now, isn't it?

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited October 2015

raindog308 said: Is SpiderOak just the backup part of this equation? If so I think you also need Dropbox or something for universal access across devices.

SpiderOak has a client for all major platforms, and a web panel. As far as I know, it can totally replace Dropbox (as far as I know, I haven't really used Dropbox).

EDIT: You can't upload files from an android device, which sucks, but that's only problem if you need to add credentials to the database using android, which I don't personally need to do. Which is why it works pretty good for me.

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited October 2015

I really do not want to stay with LastPass after this. Maybe some that use alternative solutions can help save me some time from testing a lot of other services?

For team use I generally have a master LastPass account that is paid. Then I share passwords with a few team members who are usually free accounts. I need a reasonably priced service where I can have one paid account who as described above can share select passwords to free accounts (preferably read-only and auto syncs any updates on master account). The free accounts ideally should work cross platform, not being limited to a single device. However single device free accounts may acceptable if not suitable replacement otherwise.

Additionally the service must offer auto-fill on web browsers on Android (and not limited to the services own browser) and preferably also for Android apps like with LastPass. It is fine if this is not supported with free accounts.

Any help is appreciated to narrow down options and save a lot of time.

• Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • jhjh Member
    edited October 2015

1Password is good but the browser extension is very sluggish. I can see prices going up after this acquisition. I remember speaking to them about LogMeIn Remote vs Citrix's alternative. Their company is miles more expensive than Citrix and they really think that they're better.. hmm..

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

jh said: I can see prices going up after this acquisition.

Very significantly going up if you ask me. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• I stopped using LastPass long time ago. Nowadays I use KeePass + KeeFox.

• Time to switch to PasswordBox by Intel? Hope LastPass will be free as Intel did with PasswordBox :3

• I now use a beautiful safe with a piece of paper inside with my password written on it. The safe is waterproof- even fireproof. It can even survive a 10-story fall from the top of a skyscraper, so I'm safe for now :)

• I'm moving to 1Password. One time payment and currently there is a 40% discount.

• @utama said:
    I'm moving to 1Password. One time payment and currently there is a 40% discount.

They're clearly capitalising on this latest revelation.

Read the comments here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10359491

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2015

0xdragon said: They're clearly capitalising on this latest revelation.

Good move for them. Tough position selling software with the old method these days and offering a lot of free updates like they do. So many are moving to the service model, but they're sticking to the "Buy the software once and we'll update it for a hell of a long time" thing. I like it. I miss those days. I'd rather pay $40+ for software that lasts me years than $5 and the developer act like they were giving it to me for free, then disappears or abandons it next year.

• Time for me to jump ship and find a self hosted solution. Have been wanting to do that for a while, but this is the kick in the butt I needed.