Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Budget High RAM anything (With snapshots), billed annually
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Budget High RAM anything (With snapshots), billed annually

Looking for any dedicated/server with 8GB+ RAM, minimum 80GB storage (SSD preferred) and minimum 2 fast cores (shared or dedicated), at prices below €150/Year.
Can settle for 4GB KVM, 80GB+ if there is a good control panel with snapshots.

For: Want to run Zimbra 8.6, along with many other little services on it with the help of docker/OpenVZ/lxc containers (or another VPS with the same host).

Right now I am trying out OVH 8GB SSD at €12/m or €144/y. I am pretty happy with its performance (IO,Network,CPU), but its storage is way too little at 40GB. Also, they don't seem to have any snapshots facility for this range. It was hell for me coming from DigitalOcean, having to start from scratch when installing stuff from most automated installers and many little config issues that arise from them. I gave up trying to instal Zimbra directly on the VPS after the 4th try, as it breaks pretty easily from even the smallest of changes. I don't trust myself with sudo either, so snapshots are pretty necessary at all stages.

Workaround: I found a way around it by installing Proxmox on a Debian 7 install, and running OpenVZ containers on it (with HAProxy on the host as port forwarding) and its pretty flexible , with snapshots/backups to restore instantly.

Here are all the providers (that I know) I am considering:

Delimiter Dual E5420 at €180/year when billed yearly with double RAM offer.
Lots of storage and ram, much threads, wow. Still kinda pricey for me.

Time4VPS L at €72/Year combined with another little Storage instance at €18/Year.
(160GB, 4GB RAM, 3 fast cores and another with 512GB storage for backups. Pretty good overall but doubts over its reliability, snapshot procedure, openvz 2.6.32 Kernel, etc.)

VPSDime - Same "problems" as Time4VPS, and at a slightly higher price and low storage, but SSD.

Evoburst?? - Their "pool" of resources type of service is enticing, but too low storage (60GB for the plan within my range). Can I increase my storage? Any other such providers?

Is there any other provider other than OVH who provides such high ram KVM? (with a bit more storage hopefully). Have no issues with OpenVZ, other than need for "portable" snapshots. Ofc, Dedicated servers are an option too, but I can't think of any providers at €150/Year price. The Delimiter one is pretty enticing, but honestly overkill for what I need. Time4VPS is.. I don't know much about their service, can anyone share their experience with them? They seem to offer a "free" backup service, but €10 for a one time backup restore (out of question). Their own solution seems to set up a CRON job to backup to the storage server, though I don't have any experience with restoring such a backup. (Can I backup all the configs, installed packages, etc and restore without losing any of them on OpenVZ?).

Thanked by 1MarkTurner

Comments

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited September 2015

ovz / kvm supports both snapshot and compressed .gz files, however you'll need to consider file system used as well. for instance proxmox qcow2 fs needs to be converted lvm for solus, etc.
    personally, I would prefer to directly migrate from one virt platform to another w/o using backup image.

• The non-portable snapshots are good enough for me, as long as I can restore within the same instance. But most providers don't seem to provide even that (or do so at a price twice that of the actual vps)? Even digitalocean doesn't provide snapshots for download, and I am okay with that, as I only need it for restoring in case of something stupid like an rm -rf (not saying its for that :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So you want someone to offer you a good service at below OVH price point? Not going to happen.

• Wable with the power boost add on - they have auto and manual snapshots.

If this is no a multi-tenant environment, you don't need Docker/OpenVZ/Lxc (which you can't run on Wable, Time4Vps and whomever else provides OpenVZ VPS anyway). Instead, use something like this (there are others as well) for easy create/remove "isolation".

If this is a multi-tenant environment (meaning you can't full trust others who have access), disregard the above, you need a great isolation layer.

• @deadbeef said:
    Wable

Why you suggest someone who have thousend bad reviews?

• @Clouvider said:
    So you want someone to offer you a good service at below OVH price point? Not going to happen.

Well, I am not really asking below OVH price point? It could be the same as it, with less RAM even, but a bit more storage. More of a mix and match issue really. Also, could I ask OVH support for extra storage at a fixed price or should I forget about that?

Hmm, maybe I should checkout RunAbove's 4gb sandbox instance. I know they have no SLA (which I couldn't care less about), but what exactly do they entail? Significant downtime due to maintenance, server restarts, etc? With their removable disks at $0.04/gb, that is pretty nice.

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited September 2015

with ovh and online.net not fitting your bill, perhaps delimiter has the best deal in your case, especially i recall zimbra hog cpu like crazy sounds like dedi is better.

• smalletsmallet Member
    edited September 2015

Uhh, at those prices I am better off with OVH's "cloud" range. I did hear about them before, but their prices seem to have increased significantly maybe.

That vroot though, is there any such for Ubuntu as the host and the guest? I know vaguely about chroot (jails?), though I don't know if they are as easy as using vzctl.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited September 2015

@WHT said:
    Why you suggest someone who have thousend bad reviews?

Easily by far the best performing hardware/network I've paid for the price. And I haven't had any issue with them. That's why. Besides, all the bad reviews I've read are about their "we don't want your business any more" attitude. If you have anything bad about their nodes, I'd be very interested to read it, please link to it.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • smalletsmallet Member
    edited September 2015

@belinik said:
    with ovh and online.net not fitting your bill, perhaps delimiter has the best deal in your case, especially i recall zimbra hog cpu like crazy sounds like dedi is better.

Hmm, Yeah. I wanted to know more about Zimbra's sysreqs too. I installed it on a ubuntu 14.04 and allocated it 6GB ram, and with light usage (2-6users using it). The ram usage never went past 2.8GB and the CPU usage was quite docile. I only took the 8GB instance as the sysreqs docs for zimbra listed it needs 8GB min. Maybe it will take up more RAM under heavy use? No more than 20users will be using it at any moment. Any one have any experience with it?

Believe me, I would very much like to play with the Delimiter Server (8 cores and 16GB, duh). So much space! Throw 8GB at Zimbra and have the rest for all my experiments/little sites.

• @smallet said:
    Uhh, at those prices I am better off with OVH's "cloud" range.

My bad, I missed the 8GB+ RAM requirement. Bundle #3 with power boost has only 6GB and your only option is then bundle#4 which is out of your range.

• @deadbeef said:
    My bad, I missed the 8GB+ RAM requirement. Bundle #3 with power boost has only 6GB and your only option is then bundle#4 which is out of your range.

Yeah, they are pretty pricey(compared to the hosts I listed) even at the 4GB bundle. But I guess they have the whole "resource pool" thing, so can't be compared. Also, I can't edit my original post? I want to change it to 4GB+ rather than 8GB+

• @smallet said:
    Yeah, they are pretty pricey(compared to the hosts I listed) even at the 4GB bundle. But I guess they have the whole "resource pool" thing, so can't be compared. Also, I can't edit my original post? I want to change it to 4GB+ rather than 8GB+

Editing ability is time limited I think.

You are forgetting the power boost. Bundle #3 + power boost is: 5 CPUs, 6 GB RAM, 80GB SSD for $8/m. This is well withing your budget range, which is why I suggested it.

• smalletsmallet Member
    edited September 2015

Thats one confusing offer... The page just shows 2GB ram for Bundle 3, even with the ?powerboost in URL. It also doesn't say anything about the offers duration. Is it as long as I keep paying for the bundle? 6GB ram with 80GB is great, but I need to be able to pay for a whole year at once, with that price.

Ref: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1509928

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited September 2015

@smallet : You'll have to ask [email protected] for how long they plan to keep this on, I'm not an authoritative source. Regarding the powerboost, it gets applied after you already have bundle #3 (you need to visit that link then).

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

smallet said: Any other such providers?

We offer similar functionality (Resource Pools): www.impactvps.com

VDR 8

8 Cores

8GB RAM

90GB SSD Disk

4000GB BW

10 IPv4

IPv6

$14 per month

Snapshots are included for free (automated or manual) as well as noVNC console.

Order

Split up the resources however you like, into as many servers as your resources allow.

Use code LEB to get 41% off list price (which brings it to $14 per month).

Thanked by 2deadbeef smallet
  • smalletsmallet Member
    edited September 2015

@Awmusic12635 said:
    Use code LEB to get 41% off list price (which brings it to $14 per month).

Ohh, thats perfect. Exactly what I wanted, other than the location (too far from South East Asia, though a ping of 250ms is good enough). Though, why is the IP on the website saying its location is Austin, TX.

IP Here: http://www.impactvps.com/datacenter.html

One thing though, http://impactvps.com/faq.html isn't working! Wanted to know more specific details (like port speed, vz type, snapshots/backups, tun/tap, etc). Knowledgebase seems to have only tutorials rather than service info. IPv6 and the 10 IPv4 (What am I going to do with 10 of them, maybe setup non SNI-SSL) is the icing on the... server. You mentioned that the snaphosts are free, but how many can I have per server (don't need more than 4)? Can I download these snapshots or are they just for restoring within the service?

Also, the most important thing is, can I order this with an annual billing cycle? Would be much better for me.

edited September 2015

smallet said: Ohh, thats perfect. Exactly what I wanted, other than the location (too far from South East Asia, though a ping of 250ms is good enough). One thing though, http://impactvps.com/faq.html isn't working! Wanted to know more specific details (like port speed, vz type, snapshots/backups, tun/tap, etc). Knowledgebase seems to have only tutorials rather than service info. IPv6 and the 10 IPv4 (What am I going to do with 10 of them, maybe setup non SNI-SSL) is the icing on the... server. You mentioned that the snaphosts are free, but how many can I have per server (don't need more than 4)? Can I download these snapshots or are they just for restoring within the service?

Also, the most important thing is, can I order this with an annual billing cycle? Would be much better for me.

>

"Though, why is the IP on the website saying its location is Austin, TX.
    IP Here: http://www.impactvps.com/datacenter.html"

We used our data center's test IP. Our Data center is based out of Dallas TX so their IP geo location shows as Dallas. This is however a Seattle DC in which we use our own IPs from ARIN

"http://impactvps.com/faq.html isn't working!"

That page no longer exists since we redesigned our website. Where are you seeing it linked?

"(like port speed, vz type, snapshots/backups, tun/tap, etc)"

Nodes are connected at 10Gbps. VMs typically easily get 1Gbps.

Openvz is the virt type.

Snapshots can either be done manually or set on an automated schedule. Typically they are limited by storage they take up instead of a number limit. There isn't a built in ability to download them however if it is really needed ticket us and we will put it on a web server for you to download. You can restore your server from them.

Ticket for tun/tap

"Also, the most important thing is, can I order this with an annual billing cycle? "

Yes you can

Just let me know if you have any other questions

• smalletsmallet Member
    edited September 2015

@Awmusic12635 said:
    Just let me know if you have any other questions

Link
    Go to: http://impactvps.com/knowledgebase/
    In the footer there, you can see it between: Datacenter | Faq | Knowledgebase

Umm, would be really nice to have a FAQ page.

Snapshot storage limit
    If I have VDR 8 with one VPS occupying the whole 90GB, can I back it all up or my Snapshots stored within the 90GB itself (That would be seriously limiting). Being able to download it isn't all that important though.

Will an annual billing cycle have any discounts :P (I know, I know).

Also, having a Zimbra Email Server hosted wouldn't violate the TOS in anyway right? (I would most likely be using an external SMTP server, like Gmail's own SMTP relay for GApps).

smallet said: Link Go to: http://impactvps.com/knowledgebase/ In the footer there, you can see it between: Datacenter | Faq | Knowledgebase

Thanks for the heads up. I will get that fixed up.

"Snapshot storage limit If I have VDR 8 with one VPS occupying the whole 90GB, can I back it all up or my Snapshots stored within the 90GB itself (That would be seriously limiting). Being able to download it isn't all that important though.
    "

Yes you can back it fully up. Also keep in mind that you can choose to have them compressed, so it will often take up less storage on disk than it takes inside of your VM.

"Will an annual billing cycle have any discounts :P (I know, I know)."

Yep - You pay the price of monthly * 11 months

"Also, having a Zimbra Email Server hosted wouldn't violate the TOS in anyway right? (I would most likely be using an external SMTP server, like Gmail's own SMTP relay for GApps)."

• As long as you aren't sending mass mail it shouldn't be an issue. If you would happen to be caught by our abuse monitor simply let us know what is going on and we can likely whitelist you.

-Alex

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    -Alex

Uhh, Did you just activate the Annual Billing Cycle in the order form? I could swear it wasn't there when I just saw it minutes ago :p

Yeah I know it will more than half in size after compression, would like to exactly how much storage it is though. Also, any benchmarks of any of the bundles that I can see?

Thanks, will most likely order today or within this week!

smallet said: Uhh, Did you just activate the Annual Billing Cycle in the order form? I could swear it wasn't there when I just saw it minutes ago :p

You ask and you shall receive ;)

"would like to exactly how much storage it is though. "

Same as your disk space

"Also, any benchmarks of any of the bundles that I can see?"

A customer took this one according to serverbear.
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2015/06/08/9rcxPG9rtackOvJO

• So I guess it seems like a choice between wable and impactvps. Both services look the same (Incero being the DC, Resource pooling, etc), with varying levels of support response time. Wable has 3 locations, rather than just one. Without the "temporary" offer, wable is way pricier. ImpactVPS has some included backup space (Wable's snapshot storage price is pretty cheap too, with high availability). As long as there is no technical issue, slow support response times are tolerable I guess. If [email protected] doesn't reply to soon (or annual billing isn't available), ImpactVPS it is then.

• @smallet said:

Bingo!!!!

• Finally, got Wable (with the powerboost). Yeesh, this might be the best/most responsive interface I have yet to encounter. No annual billing though :|

This plan must be their "loss leader" with 5vcore(prutty fast), 6GB RAM, 80GB ssd, Gbps port, no-shutdown snapshots (with redundancy) - all at $8/m (makes me feel warm inside)

Benchmark:

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2015/09/23/vE5Xj5O6EoLvkTPX

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@smallet said:
    Finally, got Wable (with the powerboost). Yeesh, this might be the best/most responsive interface I have yet to encounter. No annual billing though :|

Thanks for signing up to Wable :-) We appreciate it a lot.

We currently don't offer annual billing on Wable simply because annual billing makes things smell like a fly by night operation to me (those summer hosts that start-up, sell annual plans, and go out of business in 3 months). We've been in business since 2008, and will be happy to serve you for many years to come :-).

You can add a card on file for easy/automated monthly billing.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • @Incero said:

The snapshot feature is a bit weird though, I just created a manual snaphost, whose size ended up being 90.45GB (when my plan has a limit of 80GB, and I am only using 4GB disk space). Any reason for that/how to avoid that?

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@smallet said:
    The snapshot feature is a bit weird though, I just created a manual snaphost, whose size ended up being 90.45GB (when my plan has a limit of 80GB, and I am only using 4GB disk space). Any reason for that/how to avoid that?

Send a ticket, we'll check it, that is not normal.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @smallet said:
    Finally, got Wable (with the powerboost). Yeesh, this might be the best/most responsive interface I have yet to encounter. No annual billing though :|

This plan must be their "loss leader" with 5vcore(prutty fast), 6GB RAM, 80GB ssd, Gbps port, no-shutdown snapshots (with redundancy) - all at $8/m (makes me feel warm inside)

Yeah, the price and performance is really great. But I do hesitate to put any production sites on wable because of all the horror stories I have read around here (about people getting their account banned/terminated without backup).

Thanked by 1smallet
  • @Incero said:
    Send a ticket, we'll check it, that is not normal.

Got my snapshot issue resolved. Zimbra's LDAP db file weirdly seems to bloat and occupy all the tmp space while vzdumping (or whatever wable does), even shutting down the all services within the VM doesn't seem to stop that. Only after full shutdown/halt, does the backup run perfectly. vzdump isn't the best utility for backing up database running VMs, according to proxmox forums threads atleast.