Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xeon D-1540 -- IMO, the upcoming game changer -- replaces E3 as standard spec!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xeon D-1540 -- IMO, the upcoming game changer -- replaces E3 as standard spec!

ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
edited March 2015 in General

So, been doing some research on the just announced/released info on the Intel Xeon D-1540 SoC (system on chip) products.

In my opinion, this is going to be a game changer. Performance tests show the Xeon D-1540 beating the E3-1230v3 but with lower power usage, 4x the memory capacity (up to 128GB), and a smaller footprint, WITH built-in DUAL 10GigE + Dual 1GigE networking.

Bye bye E3's, the D-1540 is going to be the new boss in town for flexible and high performance, single processor dedicated servers; especially with all the Supermicro chassis options.

http://www.servethehome.com/intel-xeon-d-1540-power-performance-preview

Comments

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited March 2015

@ItsChrisG said:

Nope, won't replace the E3.

"Estimated prices for the motherboards put them in the $800-$1000 bracket with the CPU, perhaps matching or besting the equivalent Avoton platform + X540-T2 bundling. Interestingly Patrick also caught wind that Tyan is not going to play in this market, with no products planned."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9070/intel-xeon-d-launched-14nm-broadwell-soc-for-enterprise

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited March 2015

@Steven_F
    Um, an E3 with 32GB RAM and no 10Gig networking in a 1U 4x hotswap is $1K.

Around the same price, but higher performance, higher memory capacity, lower power usage, and onboard dual 10GigE - this is going to be the better option in both immediate value and longer term value.

Thanked by 2doughmanes vimalware
  • Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited March 2015

@ItsChrisG said:
    Steven_F
    Um, an E3 with 32GB RAM and no 10Gig networking in a 1U 4x hotswap is $1K.

1) Most vendors won't be able to use the 10 Gig NIC without expensive new switches.

2) An E3 with the motherboard is ~$400. This is an extra $400 - $600 per server.

3) This more closely replaces the E5-1620 v3.

Edit:
    Scratch #3. It's more of a middle ground between E3 and E5-1 processors.

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited March 2015

@Steven_F ;

I see the Xeon D lineup killing the value of the E3's even more then they've already been tanked.
    End users will have a new, better, and more flexible option than the E3's but at similar price point -- I see goodness in the upcoming future for them.

My opinion, but let's see how it plays out? :)

• @ItsChrisG said:

That's the problem! It's not a value. We're talking CPU and motherboard: $800 - $1,000. Plus, DDR4 RAM appears to be ~25% more expensive than DDR3 RAM (I have not had to research DDR4 RAM for our servers, since we don't deploy any that support it yet, so I could be looking at an overpriced vendor). When we're talking bottom dollar, the E3 is going to win. It comes in at half the price for the CPU + mobo. The 10 gig networking is useless for MOST providers. Also, can you stick this in 1U? Or will it be too hot?

This is definitely an awesome product for 10 Gbps servers. Same price as an E3 + mobo + 10 GbE NIC. But you can't compare 10 Gbps servers to "normal" dedicated servers.

• Yes, it can fit in a 1U no problem -- its less power usage than an E3 even with 10Gig networking.

I'll leave comments on pricing alone as nothing is concrete yet and the pricing I've received from my distributor direct relationship is viable as an E3 replacement at this point, except for maybe if you plan to sell E3's at $39 -- but at that point, all your doing is hurting yourself and not really involved in this type of convo about new products releases, IMO.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2015

The E3 will have twite the single thread performance of this Xeon D-1540 it seems. And we haven't seen the 14nm E3s yet (v4)

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • @ItsChrisG said:

Mind sharing the pricing you've received? I'd assume AnandTech's pricing is relatively accurate.

• Name sounds like a tank or gun :)

• Let me remind you that energy costs and cooling are some of the largest cost blocks in a Data center. Moreover less energy hungry processors enhance rack usage. Actually in many DCs racks are not filled properly for power rating and cooling reasons.

Look at it. You can pack double the number of processors into a rack if they eat just half the energy, both regarding power draw and cooling. Which, just along the way, brings down rack costs per system, too.

Yes, many hosters won't upgrade their network infrastructure to 10 Gb but so what? The SoC can also do 2 x 1 Gb.
    Look at the built in 6 fast Sata ports and you have all the usual (software) RAID levels available, too. Supporting plenty PCIe lanes will allow for RAID, FC and other controllers.

The quite considerable real estate savings will also allow for interesting products such as dual full 8C/16HT servers in 1 HU, denser blades, etc.

So, I agree, the 15xx D series will bring us lots of benefits and quite some interesting changes and improvements.

• Just wanted to add my two cents... (was searching for what people have said about the D's) I've built 4 of these now, and they are absolutely a dream to run. I firmly believe we'll see these come down in price more, and with the continuous fall of DDR4 (https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/memory/#ram.288dimm.ddr4_2133.4x4096) I believe these will be a perfect replacement for most people.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • What about D-1520 supposed to be cheaper however I don't see it available in the market

• @slicebox said:
    What about D-1520 supposed to be cheaper however I don't see it available in the market

D-1520 is only 4 cores, cheaper, but higher per core clock. There are more D revisions come later this year that offer higher clocks.

• Too expensive

• And too low frequency. VPS users would complain.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@muratai said:
    Too expensive

Quite the opposite way actually. You are looking at day one costs only, but ignoring running costs over the years you will have this server in production.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I don't think saving 300 kWh of power a year is worth the price difference of 200€ vs $600 ...

• rds100 said: And too low frequency. VPS users would complain.

>

D-1540 - Single Core: 2868 | Multi: 20338 | Power: 45W | GeekBench

E3-1230v3 - Single Core: 3476 | Multi: 13656 | Power: 80W | GeekBench

E3-1230v2 - Single Core: 3219 | Multi: 12377 | Power: 69W | GeekBench

E3-1230v1 - Single Core: 2813 | Multi: 10817 | Power: 80W | GeekBench

L5638 x2 - Single Core: 1501 | Multi: 15681 | Power: 2x60W | GeekBench

E5-2620v3 x2 - Single Core: 2937 | Multi: 25714 | Power: 2x85W | GeekBench

The D-1540 single core isn't that far off from the e3-1230v1 or e5-2620v3.

• so in other words it's just a lower powered E5.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@TarZZ92 said:
    so in other words it's just a lower powered E5.

Yes, it's a pretty compelling product when you consider how little electricity it uses (about 1/4 of a dual e5).

Performance wise it's an excellent option for database Operations or other applications that handle multi threaded Operations well.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @rds100 said:
    And too low frequency. VPS users would complain.

I don't think so. On larger packages you could offer them full core usage, without limitation.

• These are starting from $830, it looks like, with 2 x GbE. Compared to the $400 ~ $420 for an E3-1231 v3, it's not so much more.

The D series isn't really a replacement for the E3, rather it sits somewhere between the E3 and E5 product line.

I can see why people would want to upgrade from E3 to a D series and I can also see why folks would pick a D series over a Dual E5.

One thing is for sure, the D series makes having single socket E5s pointless.

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • People said Avoton was game changer as well, especially with the support for 64-128GB RAM on a cheap setups (8 instead of 4 DIMMs) - What happened? next to nothing.

Avoton still leads in W per cpu cycle, D-* shortly following, then after longer space E5, then i7, then E3, then i5.

• @William said:
    People said Avoton was game changer as well, especially with the support for 64-128GB RAM on a cheap setups (8 instead of 4 DIMMs) - What happened? next to nothing.

Avoton still leads in W per cpu cycle, D-* shortly following, then after longer space E5, then i7, then E3, then i5.

According to cpu boss the 1540 has 75% better performance per watt vs the C2750

• Let's just say - newer is better :)

• @William said:
    People said Avoton was game changer as well, especially with the support for 64-128GB RAM on a cheap setups (8 instead of 4 DIMMs) - What happened? next to nothing.

Our biggest problem with the Avoton Atoms vs E3s is that cost savings were relatively minimal. Maybe $15 a month including hardware depreciation, over the cost of a year, for a significantly weaker CPU.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

Wait for the E3v5s...

Steven_F said: Our biggest problem with the Avoton Atoms vs E3s is that cost savings were relatively minimal. Maybe $15 a month including hardware depreciation, over the cost of a year, for a significantly weaker CPU.

Either Intel has the ATOMs priced too high or the E3s priced too low. But yes, I agree, the ATOMs are too expensive.

Thanked by 1netomx