Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xeon D-1540 -- IMO, the upcoming game changer -- replaces E3 as standard spec! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xeon D-1540 -- IMO, the upcoming game changer -- replaces E3 as standard spec!

2»

Comments

• Intel keeps the e3 line limited to 32GB for market segmentation purposes - it pushes those needing more to the more profitable e5 series or other processors. As such we are unlikely to see D-15x0 based systems come down much in price - Intel wants to maintain profits.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • BTW. Just migrated my one BandwagonHost Mini128 to their Los Angeles location and I can see, that they already use D-1540 CPU there. :)

• Dell and HP haven't release Xeon D based Poweredge or Proliant ?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

loveminds said: Dell and HP haven't release Xeon D based Poweredge or Proliant ?

If you want cutting edge tech you don't buy HP/Dell/IBM - You buy SuperMicro or build yourself.

Thanked by 2netomx vimalware
  • @William said:

I'd agree with this. SM or build yourself

• @jbiloh said:

I think the Atoms are just too high. The E3s are well priced. I mean, $300+ for an Atom with mobo just doesn't make sense. Maybe, maybe $200 is justifiable.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

@DBA said:
    Intel keeps the e3 line limited to 32GB for market segmentation purposes - it pushes those needing more to the more profitable e5 series or other processors. As such we are unlikely to see D-15x0 based systems come down much in price - Intel wants to maintain profits.

E3-12xx v5 goes up to 64GB RAM.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

PhotonVPS said: E3-12xx v5 goes up to 64GB RAM.

When is that getting released? It's got to be a year+ out yeah?

• @jbiloh said:

Forget when, what's the price going to be?

• D-1540 seems good , could be lot better in cloud nodes

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited September 2015

@jbiloh said:

by end of the year! E3-v5 will be out very soon -- the v4's are pretty much pointless/dead.

• @ItsChrisG said:

When did the v4s come out?

• @ItsChrisG said:

Going to be sooner than that, I'll be taking my samples next week.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited September 2015

@bsdguy said:

Yes, many hosters won't upgrade their network infrastructure to 10 Gb but so what? The SoC can also do 2 x 1 Gb.
    Look at the built in 6 fast Sata ports and you have all the usual (software) RAID levels available, too. Supporting plenty PCIe lanes will allow for RAID, FC and other controllers.

Dual 10G SPF+ HBA's are littered all over eBay for $50-75 and add in $20 per transceiver and then this in a 4bay 1U case makes for a great Ceph node, lots of extra case room to stick a SSD in for the Ceph journal.

• PhotonVPS said: Wait for the E3v5s...

>

Just to let your mouth water, these are embedded and mobile. Support 64GB Ram and have integrated graphics.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/88210/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-v5-Family#@All

E3-1505L v5 - 4Cores, 8Threads, 2Ghz, 2.8Ghz boost, 25W TDP, alone with Graphics that supports 4k.

E3-1535M v5 - 4Cores, 8Threads, 2.9 GHz, 3.7 GHz boost, 45W TDP, alone with Graphics that supports 4k.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Derek said: Just to let your mouth water, these are embedded and mobile. Support 64GB Ram and have integrated graphics.

Doubt we'll be seeing these show up in servers anytime soon.

• RyanD said: Doubt we'll be seeing these show up in servers anytime soon.

>

They announced they are building XEON's for mobile workstations. So laptops soon :).

• @Derek said:

Well, maybe good for the MacBook Pro and such, but I doubt we will see this in Acer or even Dell. That's some very high-end processors.

• Thinkpad! Beast Thinkpad! I'm hopping around with excitement.

I'm in love with my first : a refurb x201. Now I understand why people buy Hondas for their entire car lives.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

@Steven_F said:
    When did the v4s come out?

v4 are out... got a couple eval units from our vendor last week

v5 eval units come out Sept/Oct with a public release in Dec.

• @PhotonVPS said:
    v5 eval units come out Sept/Oct with a public release in Dec.

Then what's the point of the v4?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Really not much value in the E3v4's. The amount of end users who need discrete graphics in a server is relatively small.

• We've now got 6 D-1540s in production. They are working well. However, I am excited or the higher clock D's that are supposed to come out in the fall.

• ArkAddicts said: I am excited or the higher clock D's that are supposed to come out in the fall.

That's what she said.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Does the D-1540 really perform that much better than an E3? CPU Benchmark shows a relatively small bump. Not $400 worth, either.