Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unmetered line VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unmetered line VPS

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited September 2012 in Help

Ok, so I am re-doing my request for a VPS a bit.

Chris from ChicagoVPS quoted me $40 for a 50Mbit VPS. I've discussed it with the other guy helping with my site and he agreed it may be too much, considering the community is a gaming community between a few friends and not a widely-accessible site, so I am looking for a new provider with an unmetered line.

Here is what I'm looking for:
50GB HDD
1-2GB RAM
10-50Mbit unmetered (lower price the better)
East coast US or Midwest US preferred
Budget: $10-30 a month range

The main hosted content would include a gaming website along with a few gameservers (Mainly a Team Fortress 2 server, along with maybe a Minecraft if resources are available).

Thanks.

EDIT: The unmetered line is for future growth along with ensuring we don't have an overage.

Comments

• CiriumCirium Member
    edited September 2012

The support is not very good so make sure you can manage without support, But for $10/mo you got 60GB DISK, 1GB of RAM, 2TB bandwidth (I'm sure that's enough for a game server), Xen, and it's central (Kansas city)
    http://virpus.com/budget-vps/xen.html

• @jarland catalystvps.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Cirium said: The support is not very good so make sure you can manage without support, But for $10/mo you got 60GB DISK, 1GB of RAM, 2TB bandwidth (I'm sure that's enough for a game server), Xen, and it's central (Kansas city)

Oh gawd! Why virpus!

@Shane why not kimsufi btw?

• I have sent you a PM.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk
    I'm aware the company has a terrible reputation, but I have used it for game servers, just a suggestion.
    That's if he can't find anything else.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited September 2012

You should really be looking at a 100mbps / 1gbps if your running a game server unless you find a specific location close to your location and community members. As far as I know minecraft is RAM intensive so if you optimise your web server you might be able to just fit that in for a 5-10slot server? Not too sure as I haven't really looked into gameservers.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Virpus is pretty ok, until you need support. For some reason you need to be extremly precise in what you need to be done if you want the support to be able to help you on their first try.

• @StormVZ said: You should really be looking at a 100mbps / 1gbps if your running a game server. As far as I know minecraft is RAM intensive so if you optimise your web server you might be able to just fit that in for a 5-10slot server? Not too sure as I haven't really looked into gameservers but do know a bit.

Minecraft is a "possibly" option at this point.

And the servers won't be too slot-heavy (6 to 12 slots).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thanks for the mention @Taz_NinjaHawk. Gonna take myself out of the running for game servers though ;)

• @jarland said: Thanks for the mention @Taz_NinjaHawk. Gonna take myself out of the running for game servers though ;)

Yes! :) I think all your customers (including me) will thank you for that :)

• I love VPSCHEAP.net

Plan 8:
    Guaranteed RAM
    3072 MB
    Burstable RAM
    6144 MB
    Unmetered Network
    50 mbit/s
    CPU Cores
    Disk Space
    300 GB
    Monthly Price:
    $29.99

Or 7:
    Guaranteed RAM
    2048 MB
    Burstable RAM
    4096 MB
    Unmetered Network
    50 mbit/s
    CPU Cores
    Disk Space
    200 GB
    Monthly Price:
    $19.99

They can do custom plans aswell, and are fair. +1 support. I believe the VPSs are located in Illinois.

• I have 1TB Bandwith with EaseVPS.. runing a Private WoW server there, but actually isn't mine.. I just pay for it.. as far as I know EaseVPS' uptime is not good :(

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

We do provide it but its more than $7/month

In North Carolina, 1 MB/s (which is roughly 10 Mbit/s, if I'm not wrong)
    http://crowncloud.net/#storage

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

You can definitely redo those specs and that budget for Minecraft. Minecraft is fairly low on bandwidth consumption compared to a lot of "normal" VPS uses. Check our out McMyAdmin options for OpenVZ at RamNode if you have time.

• I have a client I know runs 2 16 slot TF2 servers and consumes under 500gb of traffic per month, and under 512mb of ram, so maybe you are shooting yourself in the foot with your wantlist.

• Found one. Thanks for the offers guys.

• @Shane_Elmore said: Found one. Thanks for the offers guys.

May I ask whom it was?

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2012

@Zen said: Not sure why you would want unmetered 10-50mbit, when you could get 2tb on 100mbit...?

These specs are achievable for $7 from the same company quoting you $40 for an unmetered 10-50mbit line which actually removes bandwidth from your plan.

Not quite, 10mb/s unmetered is equal to 3TB/month, 50mb/s is closer to 15TB per month, so it's actually a lot more bandwidth. I agree it is unnecessary for a gameserver, especially starting out, I'd be looking for a couple TB on a gb/s port with the ability to upgrade or purchase cheap bandwidth.

@SpeedBus said: In North Carolina, 1 MB/s (which is roughly 10 Mbit/s, if I'm not wrong)

Closer to 8, rule of thumb is for every 8mbps = 1 MBps, 10mb/s would be closer to 1.2MB/s at full utilization.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2012

@Zen said: 50mbit != 50mb/s
    maybe OP said it wrong, but yeah 50mbit is more like 5mb/s, equal to 1.5tb.

Yes it does, that's the entire point of unmetered bandwidth.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2012

@Zen said: 50mbit != 50mb/s

That's why they're 100mb/s ports, 100 megabits per second.

• Virpus... #barf

• @numin ::

50mbit = ~6.25MB/s
    50MB = 400mbits

• 50Mbps == 50Mb/s != 50MB/s

Note the capitalization on the B. (B = Byte; b = bit)

mb/s does not exist. mb/s = millibits per second, you cannot have a fraction of a bit.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2012

@Zen said: mb/s(which is actually MB/s if you want to be all proper)

Yes you do want to be proper about it, 10mbps = 3TB while 10MBps is almost 25TB. I have never seen megabytes written in shorthand without a capital B. i.e. MB, while 100 megabits per second should be written as Mbit/s(Mb/s), I have always seen mb/s, without the capital M, for the shorthand even though it's not entirely correct. Maybe we should learn a leason and never use mb/s for anything, stick to Mbit/s or MB/s.

Either way, the point of my original post was to say that an "unmetered 10-50mbit line" is equal to more then 1.5TB of bandwidth.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

The case of B is the key to this debate...

• Yes, but most DC's bill 95%tile so we could give you 1mbps and that's 3.3tb on paper, but in reality it could just end up being a few hundred gigs. you're asking for 50Mbps which could be much more.

• I've seen that bandwidth is very expensive in USA and not only. Is very hard for a USA provider to offer unmetered bandwidth at a low price. I believe that they are trying to make their plans in that way that you could not consume large bandwidth (for the plans with low prices). I'm not sure if it helps, especially for gameservers, but there are providers in Europe that can afford giving large bandwidth at low prices.

• Mega, Kilo.. Metric system. We DON'T USE IT, as long as we use Kilo for 1024, not for 1000. End of discussion.

• @FRCorey said: we could give you 1mbps and that's 3.3tb on paper

1Mbps is ~330GB per month, one way
    10Mbps is ~3.3TB per month, one way

• So much math fail in this thread.

Thanked by 1jar