Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feed of newly registered domains for spammers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feed of newly registered domains for spammers?

DStroutDStrout Member
edited March 2013 in General

I've been registering lots of domains recently, from several different registrars. Each time I register one, shortly afterwards I find a message in my Google Apps Mail spam folder with offers for website design, SEO, etc. Is there some sort of feed of newly registered domains that spammers* can latch on to to bombard new domain owners with offers? More importantly, is there any way I can get off this list?

*I guess they're not technically spammers. These are legitimate businesses offering legitimate services, but I didn't ask for these messages. If spam is "unsolicited bulk e-mail", then these messages meet two of those criteria: unsolicited and e-mail.

Comments

• prae5prae5 Member

I've noticed this too recently - probably had it on about 75% of domains I've registered in the past month or two.

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

Is there some sort of feed of newly registered domains that spammers* can latch on to

The feed is called "WHOIS" :) There are companies that sell lists of newly registered domains' WHOIS data (whoisxmlapi.com is one that comes to mind). Private whois is the only way to avoid receiving spam from businesses that harvest whois email addresses.

There are also registrars like Register.com and NetworkSolutions who will inundate your inbox with spam for their other services when you register a domain (which is one of several reasons to avoid both of these registrars).

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @DomainBop said: Private whois is the only way to avoid receiving spam from businesses that harvest whois email addresses.

Not really, the email on your private whois address is usually forwarded to your real address.

• daviddavid Member

They're probably getting access to the zone files from Verisign (or getting them from somebody else that does). You can apply for access with Verisign, and if they approve your request you can download the zone files.

• Yeah, this is getting annoying lately. :(

• I never knew there were so many Charlotte Smythes in Mumbai, it's incredible.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • NickMNickM Member

Heck, I get snail mail spam every time I register a domain. Doesn't really bother me much, since it just goes in the garbage. Email spam isn't much of a bother to me either... it goes directly to the spam folder, and on the rare occasion (maybe once a month) that it makes it to my inbox, it takes half a second to click "Spam".

• AndreAndre Member
    edited March 2013
  • @Andre, Cool info.

Interesting numbers here: http://www.dailychanges.com/new-domains/
    Godaddy is epic.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

NickM said: Heck, I get snail mail spam every time I register a domain.

It's always a nice feeling to know they spent 50c+ to send me a useless international letter to Austria :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@William said:
    It's always a nice feeling to know they spent 50c+ to send me a useless international letter to Austria :)

Some people will buy :-)

• The domains are taken from the gTLD zone files and the email address from WHOIS.

• Verisign complete domains database + whois = your inbox

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Not sure why this is bumped from 2013, but speaking of feed of newly registered domains that spammers use, a RBL containing newly registered domains to block spammers would also be useful, especially if it included .xyz/.science/other gTLD's.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

Same... it happened on 4 of my new domains.

Some examples (and yes, they capitalized every damn letter in the titles of their emails):

"OUR CHEAP HOSTING - PERFECT FOR YOUR WEBSITE"

"USE OUR WEB DESIGN SERVICES - 50% OFF ONLY FOR YOU"

In fact, I work for a company and we ended up getting spam emails too when we did our domain renewal :/

• @Andre said:
    DStrout Found this site: http://idomainstats.com/en

And this; finds newly registered domains by nameserver.

http://www.dailychanges.com/domaincontrol.com/

http://www.dailychanges.com/registrar-servers.com/

There are companies that actually sell contact details of newly registered domain names:

https://whoisxmlapi.com/newly-registered-domains.php

https://whoxy.com/newly-registered-domains/

This is where the bulk mailing companies get your email address which you had used in your domain's whois record. I saw a service at whoisxmlapi where they can provide the actually email of the domain owner, even when privacy is enabled. I have not used the service, so cannot comment on its validity.

• BG32BG32 Member
    edited September 2015

yeah its through ****ing WHOis. i have some domains through namecheap which have free WHO is protection and never get any for those domains

• The best ones are along the lines of

"Now it's time for you to fully register your domain... send payment to..."

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Many registries will give access to the list of all registered domains for free, for example Verisign does this for their TLDs (.com, .net and .name).

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @spiralbig said:

You will get rock.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2015

spiralbig said: Good news...!!!!! Now we can access the whois data , newly registered domains details everyday in www.massivecunt.com , I ve tried it. It is just awesome and also I am getting a very good business when i followup the data. Thanks analbabydickwolf.com for the valuable information to grow my business .. !!!ROCKZ!!

SPAMCUNT www.spiralbig.com kills babies likes hitler

www.spiralbig.com hates children

www.spiralbig.com fists squirrels

www.spiralbig.com enjoys beastiality

www.spiralbig.com is scam!!!!!

• Four20Four20 Member
    edited November 2015

Yea, I registered a domain from znet or whatever their name is (there is a .com offer for them has been shared here) and I've got over 10 emails, I just logged in, edit contact details, added one extra letter to my email. now i can sleep in peace.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @Four20 said:
    Yea, I registered a domain from znet or whatever their name is (there is a .com offer for them has been shared here) and I've got over 10 emails, I just logged in, edit contact details, added one extra letter to my email. now i can sleep in peace.

same thing happened with me as well.

• @Four20 said:

Not the best practice, I am afraid.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Four20 said: I just logged in, edit contact details, added one extra letter to my email.

Careful. Invalid WHOIS details are grounds for termination.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Four20Four20 Member
    edited November 2015

@erkin said:
    Not the best practice, I am afraid.

yea I know, but the domain is useless anyways, and registered it for like a dollar, so its all good.
    I'd rather lose the domain than getting spammed xD.

• @joepie91 said:
    Careful. Invalid WHOIS details are grounds for termination.

what consists of "invalid whois details" ? Fake name/address but valid email ?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2015

Whatever lengths the registry wants to take and what's in their ToS.

Fake email obviously doesn't last long as you need to RAA verification for every new email.

Nominet are quite tough nowadays about accuracy. Skipping a house number in your address can be enough for suspension / required clarity in details. Fake name/address will probably depend on the registrar you bought the domain with.

I've had one domain where the "report inaccurate details" link was used, I was emailed by the registrar about it but no action on either side was taken.

• ICANN WDRP FAQs

When sending WDRP notices, registrars are required to remind their customers that the provision of false Whois information can be grounds for cancellation of a domain name registration.If your information is correct, your domain name will not be cancelled and you do not need to take any action.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/faqs-f0-2012-02-25-en

• WHOIS for CNOBI is flawed. I like how .name and some of the CC NIC are actually protecting the privacy of domain owners.