Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rage4 DNS, "inflated" queries? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rage4 DNS, "inflated" queries?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

We offer a Rage4 unlimited account for selected products (Biz plans and IWStack). Note this pertains to a fair usage policy. If you have 100 domains with 100k querries each, this is not acceptable. We are Rage4 partners. Besides this, we also have a partnership with dns4.pro, that is integrated in our whmcs and you do not need any active product to use it, just to be registered. http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1375
    Rage4 has more features and benefits from a lot more support, but dns4.pro is also anycast in many locations around the world and you can get some limited support.

• @rds100 said:

I've experienced the same issue with a very low-traffic website as well. Not a newly registered one either. It jumped to like 8k queries in a couple hours (which is completely off vs the number of visits which was like.. 10...) It's why I don't use Rage4 right now. Other than weird query counts, service was great though.

• @Clouvider Correct, it depends if the goal was to improve latency or have a reasonably decent low cost DNS service, I didn't say cloudNS setup was ideal by any means but they do have servers in multiple DC's so there is some redundancy there and they are pretty cheap. Currently using Rage4 myself since discovering I could get decent pricing via prometeus

• @gbshouse said: (…) Another good news is that we are going to change the pricing a little bit and increase the free usage tier.

Could you post or PM me with more details? Currently testing your service with ~50 brand new domains to see how many hits they get. I have many more. Mostly zero traffic. I don't mind paying for a good service (which Rage4 seems to be), but your current pricing plans are not a good fit, hence my interest in any upcoming changes in this respect.

• sinsin Member

aglodek said: Could you post or PM me with more details? Currently testing your service with ~50 brand new domains to see how many hits they get. I have many more. Mostly zero traffic. I don't mind paying for a good service (which Rage4 seems to be), but your current pricing plans are not a good fit, hence my interest in any upcoming changes in this respect

Why don't you just pickup an unlimited Rage4 DNS account from Prometeus for $15/year ?

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@aglodek - we are going to increase the pricing (for new zones) but in the same time we will double the free usage tier and stop accounting on certain queries. Not sure about exact numbers yet. If you want to host more zones feel free to pick one of the PRO packages

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @sin said: Why don't you just pickup an unlimited Rage4 DNS account from Prometeus for $15/year ?

Because I have more than 100 domains and said Prometeus offer is not really as "unlimited" as people seem to think (I'm referring to @Maonique's comment above).

@aglodek - from our side the only limitation of Prometeus' accounts is that they can be used only for internal private/business purposes.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • In my experience Rage4 has always inflated queries. Both my own servers and Amazon Route 53 used to show about a quarter of the queries Rage4 shows (and charges!).

My main domain cost about $4/month with Rage4 and costs less than $1/month with Route 53. The amount of traffic only increased once I switched from Rage4 to Route 53 (more subdomains, etc.).

• @Maounique, @sin: Can anybody post or PM me the link to the Prometeus Rage4 package? Thanks!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

aglodek said: Can anybody post or PM me the link to the Prometeus Rage4 package? Thanks!

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=96

gbshouse said: @aglodek - from our side the only limitation of Prometeus' accounts is that they can be used only for internal private/business purposes.

And whoever hosts 100 domains is not doing it for their own business, but to host others too or provide various services.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

mpkossen said: In my experience Rage4 has always inflated queries. Both my own servers and Amazon Route 53 used to show about a quarter of the queries Rage4 shows (and charges!).

i can guarantee you we do not inflate any queries - it is 100% what we get as traffic, Amazon SES does not bill cached queries while we bill everything.

As Piotr said we will have different pricing soon which will higher the free usage tier as well.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • I went from many domains at Rage4 with 1+ million 'queries' per month at Rage4, then decided to get DNSMadeEasy after sporadic billing that didn't make sense on idle domains.

At DNSMadeEasy, I pay 39.95 for the entire year, get unbeatable Anycast, and ALL my 32 domains are just over 500k queries at DNSMadeEasy, with LOWER TTL. I had set all Rage4 to the highest TTL possible and still was getting 1million queries per month.

May want to check that accounting / algorithm, 15-20 euros per month vs. 39.95/year for DNS Made Easy with 10 million queries per month. Not saying you are shysters, but your algorithms are inaccurate at best.

Thanked by 1asf
  • +1 for DNSMadeEasy they have been fantastic! @GStanley how did you get that pricing for 32 domains? I pay $29.95 for 10 with 5 million queries/mo and the next tier was $59.95 for 25. I needed 12 :)

@GStanley said:
    I went from many domains at Rage4 with 1+ million 'queries' per month at Rage4, then decided to get DNSMadeEasy after sporadic billing that didn't make sense on idle domains.

At DNSMadeEasy, I pay 39.95 for the entire year, get unbeatable Anycast, and ALL my 32 domains are just over 500k queries at DNSMadeEasy, with LOWER TTL. I had set all Rage4 to the highest TTL possible and still was getting 1million queries per month.

Thanked by 1GStanley
  • GStanleyGStanley Member
    edited July 2015

MisterG said: +1 for DNSMadeEasy they have been fantastic! @GStanley how did you get that pricing for 32 domains? I pay $29.95 for 10 with 5 million queries/mo and the next tier was $59.95 for 25. I needed 12 :)

My bad. I actually started with 29.95 for 10 million (forget how many domains, I think 15) & selected the addon for an extra $20 for 25 domains and have 10m queries per month. (59.95/year) - I got another account / have 2x25 domain accounts.

I even set my TTL's to 1800 there and haven't even hit 1 million across the lot yet. Not sure what Rage4 is counting TBH.

• swainswain Member

@GStanley said:

I have had the same experience with Rage4. My low traffic site (2k views a day) tripped the free usage tier. That was the only site i had with any traffic so i was rather surprised to see an invoice from them.

• utamautama Member

Agreed, my domain with very low traffic (under 100 pageview per day) exceed the free tier but when I moved it nsone (still free tier) it no problem at all. Looks like at minimum how and what they count are different.

• So just to update, 3,500 queries in 3 days on a domain with only ns1 and ns2 records set up.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You do realise that you're blaming Rage4 for some spam sites creating mass map of domains that decides to continuously hammer the NS servers, right ?

• SnapeSnape Member

It's been a common complaint for... several years. My suspicion has been that anycast is producing an apparent multiplier effect in queries, as one logical query is seen by multiple endpoints, and thus accounted as multiple queries.

• yomeroyomero Member

Snape said: as one logical query is seen by multiple endpoints,

That's not how anycast works. Any packet/request still goes to a single point/server.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Snape that's not how Anycast works. Since they announce their networks from multiple locations (Anycasting) you simply have shorter route to their closest Datacentre, hence minimising latency and increasing reliability due to additional failover. It's not an option that Anycast in this form claffexts query count.

• If you like DNSSEC, DANE, SSHFP then DNSmadeeasy is not for you.

Thanked by 1Shade
  • @gbshouse said:
    aglodek - from our side the only limitation of Prometeus' accounts is that they can be used only for internal private/business purposes.

A couple of my domains still have NS1 and NS2 A records for a handful other domains I still provide hosting for, So I'm keeping an eye on the number of queries on those domains, if it becomes a problem I'll just have to move them (Or pay more I guess)

• ShadeShade Member
    edited October 2015

@gbshouse As a company, what ways do we have to pay the bill? We don't have and don't want PayPal ;)

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I had the same issue at nsone, this was mostly solved by adding a (dummy) AAAA record with a high TTL.

Thanked by 1tr1cky

@Shade - beside PayPal credit card and bank transfer

• Whats the problem with cloudflare? For the last 2 year i got 0 downtime. Give me a reason why this is better for a shared hosting provider.

Thank you :)

Thanked by 1asf
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

ZweiTiger said: Whats the problem with cloudflare? For the last 2 year i got 0 downtime.

Then you are not really monitoring their uptime. They got some big and avoidable outages maybe 3 years ago, too.

ZweiTiger said: Give me a reason why this is better for a shared hosting provider.

Way more functionality, specialized provider, different business model. "Better" is relative and you should evaluate your needs :)

• bohdans said: I don't see how that could be possible?