Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rage4 DNS, "inflated" queries? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rage4 DNS, "inflated" queries?

13»

Comments

• I have some "ghosts" domains and they still have querys.. aliens :)

• @bohdans said:
    I have just started using Rage4 DNS,
    I have set up a BRAND NEW domain, set up NS and pointed the domain (at namesilo) to vanity NS set up at Rage4.
    I now have over 200 DNS queries in 1 hr,
    I don't see how that could be possible?

You complain at 200 in 1 hour? You realize the free package is max 500,000 queries... right? facesdks

• Good job.

eduf said: I have some "ghosts" domains and they still have querys.. aliens :)

720 * 200 = 144 000

GCat said: You complain at 200 in 1 hour? You realize the free package is max 500,000 queries... right? facesdks

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited January 2016

@GCat said: You complain at 200 in 1 hour? You realize the free package is max 500,000 queries... right?

Maybe it's because he can do the math… 200 in one hour gives 144000 monthly!

@eduf: 200 seems a little high, even for a domain with a vanity DNS setup. This may be because your "brand new" domain had been registered and used before. I used Rage4 for hundreds of domains and saw wildly different "hits" right out of the gate. I checked this seemed in line with each domain's previous "life". One other thing: the numbers go up very quickly, depending on how many other domains you point to a vanity DNS.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • I have a Prometeus 'unlimited' plan so I don't care as much now, but back when I was on the free 250k/mo plan i thought there was something fucked up about the accounting since one of my domains, which only had one A record pointed at a znc bouncer I only use on one ~2000 user network was getting 140K/mo requests

• @texteditor have you noticed following change in your prometeus free account.. I think it is no more unlimited.

• praveenpraveen Member
    edited January 2016

Also, just noticed this in inbox

From the 1st of February 2016 we are introducing 4 new packages:

MICRO (which will replace standard pay-as-you-go)
    included queries/month: 500 thousand
    additional queries: €2/month
    price: €0/month

SMALL
    included queries/month: 100 million
    additional queries: €1/month
    price: €100/month

MEDIUM
    included queries/month: 500 million
    additional queries: €0.5/month
    price: €500/month

LARGE
    included queries/month: 2 billion
    additional queries: included
    price: €2500/month

IMPORTANT: all existing zones will be billed as before (the price will not change),
    the new prices are valid only for zones created on and after the 1st February 2016.

• it seems very expensive, what should be the difference of another DNS like cloudns

• edited January 2016

@praveen said:
    texteditor have you noticed following change in your prometeus free account.. I think it is no more unlimited.

+1 on my account too

However, I doubt that any of us is using more than 10000000. I would say that this falls into the fair usage, along with not being and idiot and setting the TTL of everything to 300

Thanked by 1praveen
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Don't worry, all Prometeus (and other partners) accounts remains unchanged. As promised few months ago we have doubled the free usage on free accounts and the total charge for small zones (<= 2m requests) will remain the same.
    Our main target are zones which generates large number of requests (> 100m requests/m). For those the monthly cost will increase.
    If you have any questions PM me or contact our support.

Thanked by 2praveen Clouvider
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@praveen said: