Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me choosing virtualization software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help me choosing virtualization software

MuZoMuZo Member
edited August 2012 in Help

Hi,

this month I will buy a dedicated server and I want to do virtualization
(Server specs: Intel Core i7-2600, 32gb ram, 2x 1.5tb raid1 SATAII, 10tb @ 1gbit then 10mpbs unmetered, subnet /27 --> 30 ips)

I need it for personal use but I'm thinking about maybe selling some boxes. I would like to have a webinterface to create boxes and manage them.
Which virtualization software do you suggest?
It needs to support windows/linux vpses.
Till now I only tried proxmox, and I heard that the best one for selling is solusvm.
As client all boxes I have use solusvm and I like it.
With proxmox I could do both kvm (windows) + openvz (linux) on same node, with solusvm I need 2 servers but I only will get this server. If I use solusvm kvm I would have to manually install every linux os, for linux I like openvz for it speed creating vpses.
So proxmox seems a good solution but I can't limit bandwitch and I don't like much the user system.
What about vmware vsphere / microspot hyper-v?
If the software is free it's better but I don't mind paying <20$ / month for a license.

Thank you, MuZo

Edit:
I'm having even some problems setting up network with windows under proxmox kvm

Comments

• Ovz or KVM if you since your asking here :)

• TazTaz Member

If you want to support windows on a Linux node, KVM. If linux only, and you know how to manage a server (since you want to sell service), openvz.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

+1 to KVM. It's painfully easy to setup.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You can manage bw in proxmox pretty easy, since you have such ram, you can easily put a firewall distro with bw management and use that as a gateway/router for the boxes. (My philosophy, for every task, put up a VM !)
    It will be harder with ebtables as you will have to do it manually in the underlying debian.
    VMWare and hyperv are not thought to be used as a reseller (proxmox also is not great for this), if you want to swap kvm with xen, try hypervm. Xen HVM is able to run windows too.
    M

• jarland def has a point here (and see my link). But don't charge $ until you have it under control :)

• MuZoMuZo Member

what do you think about solusvm with xen-hvm?
    so I can create templates to do fast installs or use iso images

Does I have to configure something for network on solusvm kvm? because on proxmox I can't getting it running..