Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VortexNode $10/year christmas deal is back - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VortexNode $10/year christmas deal is back

Comments

• @Shot2 said:
    Forgot to mention it has no rDNS (and no IPv6 yet according to support - fingers crossed...)

rDNS is possible in Weehawken, no problem. IPv6 will be available on VPS in Jan.

Thanks.

Thanked by 2Shot2 willie
  • @VortexMagnus said:

@Shot2 said:
    Forgot to mention it has no rDNS (and no IPv6 yet according to support - fingers crossed...)

rDNS is possible in Weehawken, no problem. IPv6 will be available on VPS in Jan.

Thanks.

Ah, that is good news.
    As for rDNS, got the infamous "disabled for this address" - let's tickle the support crew again then :)

• Mine got provisioned early this morning. So far things look great! Currently running Debian 8. This is a small nitpick, but is it possible to get an Ubuntu 16.04 image as part of the selection?

• @emmd19 said:
    Mine got provisioned early this morning. So far things look great! Currently running Debian 8. This is a small nitpick, but is it possible to get an Ubuntu 16.04 image as part of the selection?

We have a template for 16.04 and you should be able to reinstall in to it from the dashboard :)

Glad things are going well for you.

• Hi vortex. I pay $7 for 4gb in NJ. Network is not very speedy.
    Do you use same provider in Atlanta?
    Any yearly promo for this setup in Atlanta?
    4gb kvm 2 or more cores 100gb prefer Ssd cached

• @VortexMagnus Any hope for a spare Element 5 becoming available?

• Just managed to get the $10 KVM deal, it's in stock!

• ordered one, waiting for provision.

• Weehawken (New Jersey):

Benchmark started on Thu Dec 29 09:35:17 EST 2016
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor       : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    CPU Cores       : 1
    Frequency       : 2400.084 MHz
    Memory          : 490 MB
    Swap            : 1023 MB
    Uptime          : 7 min,

OS              : CentOS release 6.8 (Final)
    Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel          : 2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6.x86_64
    Hostname        : vortex.google.com

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is 8.8.4.4

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        48.0MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          9.61MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       6.52MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       5.15MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       3.83MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       6.38MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          1.72MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       1.61MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         2.91MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        13.4MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 150 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 200 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 263 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 204.333 MB/s

• @VortexMagnus said:
    We have a template for 16.04 and you should be able to reinstall in to it from the dashboard :)

I wasn't able to find a template for 16.04 in either SolusVM or Client Area, did "do-release-upgrade" to 16.04.1. You have to make sure not to reboot at the end, change "/etc/default/grub" as follows:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0"
    and run update-grub after that.

Thanked by 1Ndha
  • edited January 2017

Woop, looks like they are re-stocked, this time in Atlanta

Already have one in NJ, speeds are excellent :)

• @ALinuxNinja said:
    Woop, looks like they are re-stocked, this time in Atlanta

Already have one in NJ, speeds are excellent :)

Can't keep any secrets around here! haha.

Yep, these are slightly lower disk but on an SSD RAID-10 array vs the previous HDD.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2017

Anyone dare to run anything production on these :') . Let us all know. Is this RamNode quality ?

Genuine question.

• OhMyMyOhMyMy Member
    edited January 2017

Linovus purchased VortexNode in Sept 2016 when it had very low sales. I don't think its been around long enough to compare to RamNode/DO/Linode/Vultr

• Happy to finally score one of these! I don't know why I needed one but its scarcity made me want one so much more... from order to delivery was 10 mins. Cheers @VortexMagnus. Now to find something to use it for.

Thanked by 1VortexMagnus
  • Got most of the way through ordering but the only way to pay is paypal? :((((((

• Pretty impressed with the I/O on the Alanta node:

Benchmark started on Tue Jan 3 20:35:12 EST 2017
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info

Processor : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    CPU Cores : 1
    Frequency : 2400.084 MHz
    Memory : 498 MB
    Swap : 255 MB
    Uptime : 4 min,

Arch : i686 (32 Bit)
    Kernel : 2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6.i686
    Hostname :

Speedtest (IPv4 only)

Your public IPv4 is 66.71..

Location Provider Speed
    CDN Cachefly 48.5MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 37.7MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 10.3MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 3.37MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 5.25MB/s
    Washington, DC, US Softlayer 20.5MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 2.37MB/s
    Singapore Softlayer 1.18MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 2.01MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 3.59MB/s

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 827 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 914 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 877 MB/s
    Average I/O : 872.667 MB/s

• @willie said:
    Got most of the way through ordering but the only way to pay is paypal? :((((((

Stripe will be back by end of week :)

• VortexMagnus said: Stripe will be back by end of week :)

Yeah but the plans will be gone again then ;)

• Playing the victim, eh... Vortex, give this man a discounted dedi.

@willie said:

VortexMagnus said: Stripe will be back by end of week :)

Yeah but the plans will be gone again then ;)

Thanked by 2VortexMagnus willie
  • I ordered got to the paypal check out then closed out logged into the billing system clicked the invoice went to the paypal site via the "Paypal checkout" option and NOT the "subscription" option and paid without creating an account. I do not like paypal but as long as I can pay without an account its ok I guess.

@willie said:
    Got most of the way through ordering but the only way to pay is paypal? :((((((

• VortexMagnus said: Yep, these are slightly lower disk but on an SSD RAID-10 array vs the previous HDD.

Are these KVM? That's a great deal if it is. Is OpenBSD available on it?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Finally scored one of these! Time to move the old blog :)

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited January 2017

Add more stock please.

Kvm go go go..

I'm going to make it idle for sure.

Thanked by 1willie
  • WSSWSS Member

@go99 said:

VortexMagnus said: Yep, these are slightly lower disk but on an SSD RAID-10 array vs the previous HDD.

Are these KVM? That's a great deal if it is. Is OpenBSD available on it?

My $10 VN units are all running OBSD, I pxe booted from cd60.iso and did a network install..

Thanked by 1go99
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

princeshoko said: I do not like paypal but as long as I can pay without an account its ok I guess.

I can try that but I think I encountered that system before and it didn't work for me. Paypal only allows a fixed number of transactions on a given credit card before requiring you to use a paypal account.

Edit added: tried again, reached paypal payment screen that explicitly said "You need a PayPal account for this purchase. ". I noticed the order screen transcluded some Stripe javascript so I was hoping Stripe was actually working. Oh well.

Edit 2 added: I closed the Paypal screen and posted the above here, but then found invoice #18031 in my email, due tomorrow but still requires Paypal which I don't have. @VortexMagnus is there a way to extend that invoice for a week (or til Stripe works) or let me pay some other way (I don't use Bitcoin either, unfortunately)? There's no need to activate the vps til you get the money, of course.

• No, no fixed number. If that was the case. I'd be long over due. Been using this card almost 4years this way. When you click the invoice and click. Pay wit PayPal make sure pay without creating an account is used on the new PayPal,screen when it pops up. I almost got sad myself as it looked like it wasn't enabled. Worked fine for me thoe. Looks like they want you to make an account but that's not what's going on as long as that don't create account button is clicked.

@willie said:

princeshoko said: I do not like paypal but as long as I can pay without an account its ok I guess.

I can try that but I think I encountered that system before and it didn't work for me. Paypal only allows a fixed number of transactions on a given credit card before requiring you to use a paypal account.

Edit added: tried again, reached paypal payment screen that explicitly said "You need a PayPal account for this purchase. ". I noticed the order screen transcluded some Stripe javascript so I was hoping Stripe was actually working. Oh well.

Edit 2 added: I closed the Paypal screen and posted the above here, but then found invoice #18031 in my email, due tomorrow but still requires Paypal which I don't have. @VortexMagnus is there a way to extend that invoice for a week (or til Stripe works) or let me pay some other way (I don't use Bitcoin either, unfortunately)? There's no need to activate the vps til you get the money, of course.

• Unfortunately there really seemed no way to pay through that page, without logging into paypal or creating an account. I might try again tomorrow and post a screen shot if I don't get through, but it's late here and I don't want to spend time on it right now.

I opened ticket #VN-341124 regarding this. I hope I can get this vps, but it's no big deal if I don't since I'm sure there will be plenty more irresistable offers in the future.

• Hate your having issues. But I did it so its able to be done. Not sure why you cant. Perhaps they can help you get going. I wish paypal would die out. Nothing but pimps with to much ego.

@willie said:
    Unfortunately there really seemed no way to pay through that page, without logging into paypal or creating an account. I might try again tomorrow and post a screen shot if I don't get through, but it's late here and I don't want to spend time on it right now.

I opened ticket #VN-341124 regarding this. I hope I can get this vps, but it's no big deal if I don't since I'm sure there will be plenty more irresistable offers in the future.

• @VortexMagnus said:

@emmd19 said:
    Mine got provisioned early this morning. So far things look great! Currently running Debian 8. This is a small nitpick, but is it possible to get an Ubuntu 16.04 image as part of the selection?

I just ordered one and I don't see the template to install 16.04. Could you please take a look at it? For the time being I'm upgrading it from the current version. It would be great if we have an option to install it directly.

Thanks!