Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndBittorrentClient
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndBittorrentClient

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited April 2013 in General

I've been a Vuze man for years...but it is not particularly LEB-friendly given that it's java.

What is a decent BT client for lower-end Linux boxes? Doesn't have to be headless...GUI is OK.

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

rtorrent?

Edit: for GUI, Deluge. rtorrent has many more features than you'd expect at first glance though.

• NickkNickk Member

Transmission.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Nick said: Transmission

+1

• rtorrent or Transmission.

• kalamkalam Member
    edited April 2013

I just switched from uTorrent to Tixati as my bittorent client because uTorrent just continued to piss me off more and more. It also looks like Tixati has a linux version, so you might give it a look. tixati.com/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

aria2 - It's like "wget" for torrents, just as simple. Can only download a signle torrent at a time, downloads (then seeds it for as much as you configure) and exits.
    http://aria2.sourceforge.net/ (it's in Debian too)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

forgot to add...magnet support would be nice.

• rtorrent or transmission-cli for sure. I haven't played with Deluge but I can definitely vouch for rtorrent.

• im always with rtorrent. if you install the latest version (so not trough the repos) you can use magnet links.

• rtorrent, or Deluge/Transmission + their thin clients

• @raindog308 said: forgot to add...magnet support would be nice.

Transmission supports Magnet links.

For Debian run apt-get install transmission-daemon

Then enter the magnet link into the "External Server Download" link area.

I'm Serial.

• i've used transmission on osx and deluge/rtorrent+rutorrent on linux. deluge was great but the web client had issues for me with memory usage and there was no thin client available for my phone. rtorrent and rutorrent ahve been great though.

• Transmission, super easy to use and never had any problems.

• rtorrent is less resource intensive and copes better with load than transmission.

If you need a frontend, just use lighttpd+rutrorrent.

• rtorrent. Deluge is somewhat more aggressive in resource

• jellyjelly Member

Transmission seems to be the only one that supports full preallocation so if you're worried about I/o usage go for that

• rTorrent + ruTorrent front-end, if that's your thing.

• transmission + transmission remote gui (if windows)

• WoopWoop Member

I read in a thread ages ago someone suggested qbittorrent, i've been using it on 128-256mb boxes no trouble.

Currently using 21mb of ram.

sudo apt-get install qbittorrent-nox

Thanked by 1isy44h112
  • wdqwdq Member

I have Deluge on a 256MB VPS and have memory to spare. I also like Transmission but I find it harder to install.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I've found Tixati to be significantly lighter on disk I/O than Transmission (on Linux)... I'm not sure about other resource usage, but I can't recall seeing Tixati use anything excessive. Drawback: Tixati is not (yet?) open-source. Awesome client otherwise.

• @Woop said: qbittorrent

+1

• blackblack Member

aria2c

• kandosankandosan Member
    edited April 2013

I'll share my experience, 128mb vps running transmission daemon headless, lighttpd php5, and ffmpeg tones of videos encoding uses only about 50mb totally

never experienced problems with transmission daemon, deluge was another story :O

aria2c, has a web gui but very slow

@raindog308 said: forgot to add...magnet support would be nice.

I think all of the ones mentioned so far support magnet link. With rtorrent, it's as simple as pressing enter and pasting the magnet link, and then pressing enter again.

• I love all the suggestions. I usually use deluged + GTK UI as thin client.

My question is, all this talk about torrent clients, but which LEB hosts allow it? Most I see strictly forbid running torrent programs (even for legit uses). The only two I've seen so far are BuyVM and Prometeus.

• @kandosan: How many torrents do you have running on that? I've got somewhere north of 350 on my computer and rtorrent has problems every now and then

• @nickvanw

around 25 most I've loaded no problems, 350 you must be a heavy user

edited April 2013

@ClownJugglar really? I couldn't find any hosts that actually don't allow torrenting at all. For example, http://eoreality.net/acceptable-use-policy doesn't seem to mention torrents. RamNode's doesn't either.

• melfymelfy Member

bump on the "rtorrent + rutorrent", looks just like uTorrent's Web GUI (not sure which was first), it's also very light on resources