Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MJ12 NODE
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MJ12 NODE

24khost24khost Member
edited April 2013 in General

Would any other host allow this to be ran on a leb using 3-4 ghz consistantly?

Comments

• What the heck is a MJ12 node?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Are they using more resources then advertised?

• Looks like something that will kill CPU and IOPS.

• well we don't specify a limit on cpu usage other than fair usage and cores. Well wouldn't be so bad but one of our server the ssd cache drive went bad and waiting for a replacement to arrive and he was on that node.

• No. That's abusing 4Ghz, and most providers don't allow crawlers anyway o.O

• @jarland @MannDude what would your policy be.

• thanks @eastonch. Really if it was bursting even for 10 minutes every hour I wouldn't care but. Wanted to see others opinions.

• @24khost does it negatively impact other users? Is he a client on a LEB deal, or is he somebody on a little bit more of a 'premium' plan with extra RAM (2>+)? If he's paying a nice sum, it may be worth keeping him there if he contributes somewhat to the end of the month.

• It was a leb deal. I wouldn't have even noticed but the ssd on that server died and we are waiting for a replacement. It drove the load nuts.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

If I were approached with it I would give them a free trial run to see what I think of it first hand. I'd probably ultimately say no unless they wanted it limited to the lowest io priority and 20% of a CPU core of something.

• @24khost said: @jarland @MannDude what would your policy be.

Depends. I think our definition of abuse would be anything container above 5.0 CPU load for an extended period of time.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

MJ12 NODE

MJ12 Majestic SEO Bot is blocked from all of our websites. It's a poorly programmed SEO bot that doesn't obey robots.txt rules and can put extremely high loads on the sites that it assaults

http://whatis.riskyinternet.com/what-is/web-robot/mj12-bot-4994/

Would any other host allow this to be ran on a leb using 3-4 ghz consistantly?

If he's running MJ12 he should be hunted down and hung from the nearest lamppost by his balls. :P

• @DomainBop wow you feel that strongly about it. Thank you all for your opinions. I have limited him to 1 cpu right now and waiting for him to respond. not against this project just looks like it is poorly distributed.

• Need to rewrite my aup a little. With the fair usage wording. Going to reword jaguarpc's knowledge base wording

http://www.jaguarpc.com/support/kbase/814.html

• The project sounds interesting but the fact that they don't actually have the web search engine piece online yet seems really redundant. I'm not going to set up a node just to crunch through building up their SEO DB.

• Some people run these for one or two days on our nodes!

• I would do people run these? I could never understand

• DerekDerek Member

This is prefect to run on my PytoHost VPS!

-
    To be honest, it seems like a waste of resources to donate to a for-profit company.

• @Damian then they get booted?

• @24khost said: then they get booted?

Suspended... so far I haven't had one of these clients that complain that they should be able to peg a CPU core for <$15/month because they paid for it.

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited April 2013

@Damian said: Suspended... so far I haven't had one of these clients that complain that they should be able to peg a CPU core for <$15/month because they paid for it.

I want to run Minecraft on my 96M server, is it allowed?

It was a joke, don't worry :p

• @taronyu said: I want to run Minecraft on my 96M server, is it allowed?

Actually, you can run a minecraft server on a 32mb VPS.

@MrAndroid did it I believe a while back.

• @HalfEatenPie didnt he use a different compile of it though?

• @taronyu said: I want to run Minecraft on my 96M server, is it allowed?

Yep... newer versions of MC server don't spike CPU core, so it's allowed because it properly responds to nice.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Actually, you can run a minecraft server on a 32mb VPS.

@MrAndroid did it I believe a while back.

@HalfEatenPie Show me your secrets! I wasn't able to create a server any lowever than 96M (or 64M for a vanilla server)

@Damian said: Yep... newer versions of MC server don't spike CPU core, so it's allowed because it properly responds to nice.

@Damian Wait... what? Care to explain more? Because I don't see any difference in cpu usage a year ago and now.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: @MrAndroid did it I believe a while back.

Yes, it was incredibly painful. As soon as you rendered over a few couple thousand blocks you would run out of memory.

• @taronyu said: Wait... what? Care to explain more? Because I don't see any difference in cpu usage a year ago and now.

I guess I don't really know how to explain more... on our nodes, processes using excessive CPU are automatically renice'd progressively to 5, 10, 19 as written in our AUP/TOS. The MC server processes usually get reniced to 5, and then I don't see it progress further, and we don't receive complaints from the MC server operators.

• @Damian said: I guess I don't really know how to explain more... on our nodes, processes using excessive CPU are automatically renice'd progressively to 5, 10, 19 as written in our AUP/TOS. The MC server processes usually get reniced to 5, and then I don't see it progress further, and we don't receive complaints from the MC server operators.

You wrote a script to automate this?

• @MrAndroid said: You wrote a script to automate this?

@Damian has tons of scripts to automate everything. He even has automated script written to help trim his fantastic beard with nothing but a toothbrush and a chipmunk.