Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Before = shared hosting, now VPS, but is dedicated the new VPS? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Before = shared hosting, now VPS, but is dedicated the new VPS?

13»

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@willie said:

Harambe said: Virtualization allows for more efficient use of dedicated resources.

How does it do that? I can understand that it makes management easier in some ways, but you can max out your dedi with or without virtualization.

Depends what you're doing :) If you need to run multiple OS's for different configs, why would you buy 2 or 3 dedis if you only need the resources of 1?

Thanked by 1willie
  • Harambe said: need to run multiple OS's for different configs

I suppose that's possible, but I can't see wanting to run multiple OS's. I could see using multiple LXC or Docker containers under one OS but that's not really virtualization.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    I suppose that's possible, but I can't see wanting to run multiple OS's. I could see using multiple LXC or Docker containers under one OS but that's not really virtualization.

I have an E3 that's broken up into a few VMs, one running Windows used as a remote desktop and then a few Debian/Ubuntu VMs for running different web stacks and misc services.

Thanked by 1willie