Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Before = shared hosting, now VPS, but is dedicated the new VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Before = shared hosting, now VPS, but is dedicated the new VPS?

Comments

• @willie said:

Harambe said:

It's like Cloudron, YunoHost, etc.

I don't know what those two are, but if they already exist, do we need another one? My main reaction to sandstorm was from the words "app store", which made me cringe.

This is the page that got me to spend 5mins on running the gpg verified install script :
    https://docs.sandstorm.io/en/latest/using/security-non-events/

Sometimes you just don't feel like babysitting a hundred poorly coded apps. (php, looking at you)

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

Harambe said: 'App store' is something most people can easily grok. It's an automated installer/ecosystem for FLOSS web stuff

It wouldn't have occurred to me that "app store" meant anything to do with "automated installer/ecosystem for FLOSS web stuff". I thought of it as "place where evil hucksters upload binary-only programs that you generally pay for, that trick you into making in-app purchases and silently upload your personal data to the Death Star".

If it's all FLOSS then I wish they'd pick different terminology and make the web site less slick. OK though, I'll take a closer look.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited December 2016

@willie said:

If it's all FLOSS then I wish they'd pick different terminology and make the web site less slick. OK though, I'll take a closer look.

haha Yes, the marketing lingo around the use of 'Operating System' has already been torn to shreds elsewhere :) https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12104361

TLDR: It's an OS in the sense that Android is an 'OS'

• Thanks, that HN thread was informative, though a lot of it was about another wacky desire (seamless, separate movement of servers and data through the interwebz). The net is nowhere near fast or reliable enough for that. I don't mind using a SAN in the same data center as the server, though as we saw with the OVH Ceph clusters, even that can be asking for trouble.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Layer said:
    @jarland did you work for one of the listed hosting providers? The reason I'm asking because from your comment looks like you've some inside information.

Worked at HostGator as a sysadmin. During my time there one could say many things about the company but one that I would disagree with at any point would be that we lacked strong sysadmin teams.

edited December 2016

@TheLinuxBug said:

jarland said: Citation? I'm gonna call that unfounded speculation. I can see how you might make a seemingly logical leap to the theory, but I don't think you have any supporting data. Without data it's kind of an unfair suggestion. You don't really know what goes on behind closed doors at godaddy, dreamhost, or hell even bluehost for that matter. That's not really a basis for a default assumption that everything is compromised.

Unless, of course, you do have some data that you're holding close to your chest.

Unless you are putting the money out for a system like CloudLinux for your shared server, a lot of them being insecure isn't far from the truth. Shared hosting customers are AWFUL about keeping their sites upgraded and current and it is not uncommon to start out a Monday having to review some hacked site for sending out spam (even with CloudLinux).

My problem with the logical path you have to go down to assume that this means all shared hosting servers are compromised also means that you have to assume that all Linux servers with privileged accounts are also compromised. At this point you're basically assuming that all servers are compromised. I mean how do you work from the notion that everything is already broken and that you can never know because you can never prove that it's not all broken because a broken system can be made to look not broken. Therefore everything is to be assumed unknowable and broken at all times. That's an unworkable position, and I don't think its healthy or true.

The reason I say that is because you have to assume that people are breaking out of these privileged user positions at all times, simply because they're there. You don't even need cloudlinux. Cpanel has jailshell and suPHP. But if we're assuming that everything is abused by currently unknown privilege escalation vulnerabilities at all times then every server is rooted and nothing is secure anywhere, ever.

We would then conclude that nothing is safe which is connected to the internet: not your shared hosting account, not your VPS, not your dedi. At that point we're well beyond simply the idea that shared hosting is insecure by default, and we would end up in the territory of unhealthy paranoia, in my opinion. This is what I've often called the "security rabbit hole" which is a place that some security experts will lead others down, a place of endless accusation of physical inability to ever be secure, to a place where there is no valid solution beyond unplugging everything and disappearing.

Certainly it's true that shared hosting is not any more safe at the single user/application layer. I do propose that most are reasonably safe from one user infecting another, at least to the point that I would suggest that any server could ever be safe. I don't go down the rabbit hole though, there's nothing for you there.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • jarland said: Certainly it's true that shared hosting is not any more safe at the single user/application layer. I do propose that most are reasonably safe from one user infecting another, at least to the point that I would suggest that any server could ever be safe. I don't go down the rabbit hole though, there's nothing for you there.

I've had an account with a largish shared hosting company for almost 10 years now. They're on it. They know what they're doing. And if I have an infection (it happened once), they're right on my case but also work with me.

Thanked by 1jar
  • williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

I worked at a hosting company (not VPS) a while back and we were quite on the ball about security. Despite that we had a major break-in because there was one little place that somebody had made a mistake, and some attacker did a lot of work using that as a lever. Better processes can help, but it can happen anywhere whatever you do. The security rabbit hole is a real thing, but people do it for good reasons, depending on what's at stake.

Thanked by 2jar vimalware
  • Shared hosting at DreamHost looks pretty good ( https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/shared/ ), and at that price point it would be hard to be believe that they're not maintaining their servers well (not to mention that they would want to maintain their good reputation).

Things may look somewhat different at some low end shared hosting providers, but it's hard to know.

(So I agree with jarland's remarks.)

Thanked by 1jar
  • What Jarland said, plus each type of server has their own advantages. VPS servers are mainly good for having root access and self sufficiency at a lower end price.

Though there are great dedi deals out there, common sense would seem to indicate that at least on a dollar for dollar level, VPS will always be cheaper.

I have uses for all 3 kinds. For more tech savvy people, shared hosting is probably the least attractive due to lack of control.

• I totally forgot Cloud hosting...have had my share of cloud hosting. I see the benefit with cloud hosting, but still, it's just a advanced form for shared hosting there your neighbors can abuse the resources and impact your service. With dedicated servers you have no neighbors.

• @angstrom said:
    Shared hosting at DreamHost looks pretty good ( https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/shared/ ), and at that price point it would be hard to be believe that they're not maintaining their servers well (not to mention that they would want to maintain their good reputation).

I used to use DH, but I had a cron job that ran for 5 minutes every 4 hours that went up to taking 1 hour to complete. Moved it to a RamNode KVM that cost 1/3 the price and it finishes in less than a minute.

Even my static pages were sloooooow on DH; they oversell way too much. The other issue they never fixed is that they blacklist their own servers for spam (spam issues being another big downside of shared hosting), so I sometimes wouldn't even get the cron results.

As for moving to dedicated, it all comes down to what's the cheapest and easiest solution to the problem I'm tackling, both in the short term and the long term. These days, though, I'm leaning more towards abstractions that are best served by VPSes or possibly containers. The less I have to worry about the hardware the better, but just like shared hosting, I'd have no problem rolling up my sleeves and moving on if providers started overselling like mad.

Thanked by 2vimalware angstrom
  • impossiblystupid said: I used to use DH, but I had a cron job that ran for 5 minutes every 4 hours that went up to taking 1 hour to complete. Moved it to a RamNode KVM that cost 1/3 the price and it finishes in less than a minute.

Even my static pages were sloooooow on DH; they oversell way too much. The other issue they never fixed is that they blacklist their own servers for spam (spam issues being another big downside of shared hosting), so I sometimes wouldn't even get the cron results.

Yeah, shared hosting no doubt has downsides of this kind that aren't always made explicit in advance by the provider (though your experience seems pretty extreme).

By the way, I wasn't endorsing DH per se -- only saying that it seemed like a safe bet in the sense of security.

In the old days, I had a shell account with a provider, and I remember that the IP address got temporarily blacklisted a couple of times due to a malicious user. Happily, the provider was always quick to act to get the IP address clean again and to ban the malicious user.

The nice thing about old shell accounts is that you were part of a small community of users (like a local neighborhood), you immediately felt less lonely when logged on, you could see who was on-line, chat, work, do email, etc., all from a terminal. There was something comforting about the experience.

As much as I like my various VPSes, I sometimes feel like I'm living alone in a mansion surrounded by high walls by comparison.

• Shared Hosting is the semi old shared hosting if a dedicated ip is an option

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: Not sure what to make of that... it's something like scaleway instantapps? They want to put server applications into an "app store" so they can be as shitty as mobile apps?

You're right, 100% of all mobile apps are shitty. There are no good mobile apps out there.

willie said: Is something wrong with apt-get install or a docker container? It looks too slick for my tastes but I can't tell quite what it's up to. I do notice there are some smart people involved.

willie said: I don't know what those two are, but if they already exist, do we need another one? My main reaction to sandstorm was from the words "app store", which made me cringe.

OK, you don't like it. Fair enough. But you didn't share any specifics on why other than it's slick and your nervous system reacts badly to the phrase "app store".

Maybe you're having a bad day.

You probably wouldn't like Softaculous or Fantastico or Installatron either, and that's what I got from a cursory look at Sandstorm. Control panel for easy software installs. Not my thing but Softaculous, et al. are quite popular so there's a demand.

Harambe said: Why do we need RHEL when Debian already exists?

I constantly ask this very question.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • I never got the shell account experience. When I first started to use VPS hosting I always used Windows VPS with Plesk control panel. Some years ago I started to use CentOS on my webservers and I have never looked back.
    Still use Windows and/or Hyper-V on my main servers to create VMs (with both Linux and Windows)

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

raindog308 said: You're right, 100% of all mobile apps are shitty. There are no good mobile apps out there.

There are good ones out there, but there's also a ton of sleaze (not merely crap in the sense of having low technical quality, but sleaze in that it's marketed dishonestly, tries to trick the user etc.). So you have to approach mobile app stores with a vigilant/paranoid attitude. That is different from the FLOSS world, where there's plenty of stuff of low quality but it's generally all offered in good faith. FLOSS software depots are usually called "repositories" or the like. So when someone tries to introduce the term "app store" that sounds like they're trying to turn the FLOSS ecosystem into Mobile 2.0, which gives me a poor impression to say the least. Mobile is the successor to AOL as far as I'm concerned.

I actually like Softaculous (and cPanel). But, they don't dress themselves up as FLOSS programs. They look like Windows programs, you have to pay for them(?), and I'm cool with dealing with them on that basis.

• @angstrom said:
    By the way, I wasn't endorsing DH per se -- only saying that it seemed like a safe bet in the sense of security.

Essentially true in my experience, but you never know what is going on behind the scenes. Who knows many of those spam runs that got them blacklisted were caused by PHP exploits? Or any other security issues that come into play when you admin your own server. It's all just part of the trade-offs that come with the choice of VPS over shared hosting.

As much as I like my various VPSes, I sometimes feel like I'm living alone in a mansion surrounded by high walls by comparison.

Yeah, and beyond the local system there was always IRC. And Usenet. It's all still out there, but everything has taken a second fiddle to web sites and social networks.

• shared vps! :O

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

century1stop said: shared vps! :O

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:

joepie91 said: You can safely assume that any commercial shared hosting server has been compromised to the point that your site is as well

Citation? I'm gonna call that unfounded speculation. I can see how you might make a seemingly logical leap to the theory, but I don't think you have any supporting data. Without data it's kind of an unfair suggestion. You don't really know what goes on behind closed doors at godaddy, dreamhost, or hell even bluehost for that matter. That's not really a basis for a default assumption that everything is compromised.

Unless, of course, you do have some data that you're holding close to your chest.

It's a combination of a number of things:

1. Massive amount of customers on each server, running a wide variety of different software, ie. a massive attack surface.
    2. Often running outdated stacks for compatibility reasons (old PHP versions are one commonly cited example, but it's more than just that).
    3. Especially for the bigger providers, custom patches to Apache that introduce security issues.
    4. Shared hosting servers are very attractive especially for those carrying out DDoS attacks because of the usually high amount of bandwidth they have. It's not uncommon at all to see 1gbps or 10gbps servers.
    5. All the shared hosting servers of a provider tend to run a mostly uniform stack, meaning that finding a way to compromise a single server means finding a way to compromise many servers.
    6. The customers of shared hosting services, as mentioned before, don't usually care very much about security.

All this together creates the perfect storm; massive attack surface, uniform internet-exposed environments, and a big incentive to compromise the servers. These traits are not commonly seen together in other scenarios. It usually only takes a single kernel/panel vulnerability or misconfiguration to essentially pwn an entire provider and add 10-100gbps of bandwidth (and considerable other resources) to your collection of compromised systems.

Empirical (non-public) evidence confirms this scenario. I've spoken to quite a few people who primarily target shared hosting servers for precisely all of the above reasons, and in several cases this included providers whose staff had at some point publicly stated that they had a competent security team.

Thanked by 2jar myhken
  • When it comes to security, is a VPS as safe as a dedicated server? Or is a dedicated server the safest?

• @myhken said:
    When it comes to security, is a VPS as safe as a dedicated server? Or is a dedicated server the safest?

All depends on the knowledge and skill level of the person running the metal. If you aren't square on security practice, the VPS is probably better for you. If you know what you're doing, the dedi is probably better security. It also depends on the virtualization; ovz scares me with its ancient kernel.

Thanked by 1myhken

@myhken said:
    When it comes to security, is a VPS as safe as a dedicated server? Or is a dedicated server the safest?

My instinct is that dedicated would always be potentially more secure than VPS in that it has at least one less layer for compromise. A VM has two operating systems that can be attacked, host and VM.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

VPS was born because shared hosting was heavily oversold and dedicated was out of reach! Things are changing fast now. Hopefully some kind of premium shared hosting can make a come back for those who does not want to waste time on managing server /vps or don`t want to hire a system admin for that job.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • cfgguy said: Hopefully some kind of premium shared hosting can make a come back

So you think shared hosting still have a future? Or will the knowledge of people using hosting go up, so people gets good at managing a VPS or a dedicated server?
    It's really not that hard.

edited December 2016

@cfgguy said:
    VPS was born because shared hosting was heavily oversold and dedicated was out of reach!

I don't think that's factual. VPS will likely always be more efficient for dynamic scaling, migration, and replication. No matter how efficient it becomes with bare metal, virtualization will likely be ahead of it in that way.

Private cloud is the dedicated equivalent for dynamic scaling and you'll note that it's still VPS, that's just on dedicated hypervisors.

Not to mention you can't even start with shared hosting on everything. Website hosting is only one market segment for VPS/dedicated.

Thanked by 1alown
  • @myhken said:
    So you think shared hosting still have a future? Or will the knowledge of people using hosting go up, so people gets good at managing a VPS or a dedicated server?
    It's really not that hard.

Different people find different things easy. There are a ton of people who will never go beyond templates and web builders. Even I would switch back to shared hosting if there were providers that offered better turnkey solutions that fit my needs.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@cfgguy said:
    VPS was born because shared hosting was heavily oversold and dedicated was out of reach!

Virtualization allows for more efficient use of dedicated resources. I can afford dedicated servers and nearly all of them (aside from the dirt cheap atoms and other low power boxes) use virtualization so I can get the most out of the resources I pay for.

There are more reasons than just affordability, and a VPS isn't immune from becoming oversold garbage - we see those complaints around here daily about overloaded nodes.

• Harambe said: Virtualization allows for more efficient use of dedicated resources.

How does it do that? I can understand that it makes management easier in some ways, but you can max out your dedi with or without virtualization.