Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to Buy a Dedicated Server for Video Encoding - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want to Buy a Dedicated Server for Video Encoding

2»

Comments

• @OhMyMy said:
    @stevengeorge at some point in your life you may actually do something original and unique that other people enjoy. How are you going to feel when someone steals it and makes money off of it?

Seriously i will feel so bad, i know they feel bad too. But right now i need to make money, once i have money to build something of my own i will not abuse others content :P :D

• @msg7086 said:
    Okey, I can see your problem here. You are requesting E5-1650v3+, which is a very rare config on server side.

When I mentioned OVH, that's because I'm using their Soyoustart E5-1650v1 as an encoding server. 1650v1 is about 20-25% slower than the 1650v3 on x264, and it costs me $66/month with 2x3TB and 32GB memory. If you can get 2 of them, you can actually get 1.5x the performance with a lower monthly bill. Cons are no KVM/IP and no HW RAID.

You may have to look at, maybe, 7700k as an alternative. A dual E5-2650+ may also give you a similar speed while maintaining low price, as 2650/2660/2670 CPU is dirt cheap on the market.

Can't agree more, but i am really seeking speed both in encoding and uploading.

• @stevengeorge - Thats like saying I'll stop robbing banks once I have enough money to build another business. You obviously don't care. OTherwise you'd simply sign up for many of the accelerators out their ovh, digitalocean,aws, microsoft etc that fund computing time. So you obviously are stealing from others cause its easy. And you are asking others here to assist you. Must make you really cool in school eh?

Thanked by 1KillaKev
  • @StevenGeorge said:

@OhMyMy said:
    @stevengeorge at some point in your life you may actually do something original and unique that other people enjoy. How are you going to feel when someone steals it and makes money off of it?

Seriously i will feel so bad, i know they feel bad too. But right now i need to make money, once i have money to build something of my own i will not abuse others content :P :D

Oh, you're not only asking providers to provide you a server to break the law with, you plan to make money doing it. I'd stay far far far away from this one, if you have a reputation to keep at all.

Thanked by 1KillaKev
  • He's not spending $160/mo for charity

Thanked by 2Luke007 KillaKev
  • @OhMyMy said:
    He's not spending $160/mo for charity

Doesn't mean hes making money with it automatically, but since he admitted it..

• Does anyone know a good online dictionary where I can look up the word "entrapment"? Lol.

Thanked by 2vimalware KillaKev
  • ladude626ladude626 Member
    edited December 2016

Are you getting abuse notice because of torrenting? Why not just setup a VPN and download all torrents via the VPN. Or use usenet with SSL. That will open up more options for you.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @StevenGeorge I can do something , we are located in Romania , pm if the location is ok

• This Trend reminds me of that old saying,
    "don't ask how the sausage is made or what goes into it"

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@painfreepc said:
    This Trend reminds me of that old saying,

Would be quite funny to see him opening a new thread with same specs, and saying: "you know ... for personal use only" :D

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Correct me but I think you need good graphic card as well to perform encoding better.

Thanked by 1StevenGeorge
  • @cociu said:
    @StevenGeorge I can do something , we are located in Romania , pm if the location is ok

You could a hybrid setup with @cociu large disk VPS (used to have 300-350GB for less than $7/m) for one-time leeching, and a couple of those 4Ghz i7 dedis from OVH.

Thanked by 1StevenGeorge
  • @Andreix said:

@painfreepc said:
    This Trend reminds me of that old saying,

Would be quite funny to see him opening a new thread with same specs, and saying: "you know ... for personal use only" :D

Oh, seriously. You should not think in this way, don't you think there's thousands of providers ready to give me what i need. Why will i beg to LET providers ? Make no sense ... though i just felt being honest in LET made me a kid earlier and later a fool, but i really didn't mind :)

You look like a good provider too, don't act like a fool ... good luck to your business and thanks.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@StevenGeorge you take it personally when in reality it is not at all.

Very similar rules apply to all providers within the EU and likely US.

Take it easy :-).

• @Clouvider said:
    @StevenGeorge you take it personally when in reality it is not at all.

Very similar rules apply to all providers within the EU and likely US.

Take it easy :-).

Why do i like you so much , i have no idea :O :P ... thanks, it's taken easy ...

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@StevenGeorge thanks for mentionning, here is my understanding; you need a server to host legal files and will react if a user abuse your service.

That's fine but i can't answer your request since our 1gbit network is too much expensive.

Good luck and take care.

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

deleted

• jhjh Member

StevenGeorge said: Receiving max 2 - 5 complains in a month

LOL

Thanked by 2Clouvider willie
  • tmwctmwc Member
    edited December 2016

Well, Amazon offers a transcoder service, Elastic Transcoder, on AWS.

Also I found some that may work -

https://zare.com/dedicated-servers (closest offer is 128GB RAM)

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server (Dedibox MD 2016, wrong processor but mostly good for your needs)

• The catch in the case of AWS Elastic Transcoder is that you have to store your original files on S3, as we all know S3 is quite expensive. However, you could always try upload files, transcode them and delete the files later on.

• Transcoding might be a doable SaaS offering by an LET type of provider. Basically there would be a queueing system at the front end and some dedicated servers at the backend that were kept busy by the incoming requests. You'd upload a file with your transcode specs and the result would come back with maybe 1 day turnaround, faster if you paid extra for priority processing. Does that sound interesting at all?

Thanked by 1mik997
  • niknik Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    Transcoding might be a doable SaaS offering by an LET type of provider. Basically there would be a queueing system at the front end and some dedicated servers at the backend that were kept busy by the incoming requests. You'd upload a file with your transcode specs and the result would come back with maybe 1 day turnaround, faster if you paid extra for priority processing. Does that sound interesting at all?

I am currently building this. But it won't take 1 day but rather some minutes to transcode anything.

Thanked by 1willie
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2016

@StevenGeorge

It is called Plausible Deniability

By disclosing your intent to use services in a manor that may not be legal in the countries which you wish to host in you remove any plausible deniability that existed for the host. If they choose to make an offer to you here or take on your business and you later have a run in with a legal entity the post can be used to prove the provider knew ahead of time your intent and still let it happen, possibly resulting in legal recourse against their business.

As was mentioned, by being forthcoming you pretty much screwed your self out of any real providers giving you a quote. The only ones who may still offer you something will be a reseller or one of a very few less scrupulous providers. A reseller can do this for you because they won't disclose to their actual provider the intent, though it could still come back on them if they are not careful. Some of the less scrupulous providers... well there is a reason they are that way... and you need to ask your self if you trust such people to really not just turn you in if they run into legal issues.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2Clouvider KillaKev
  • @willie said:
    Transcoding might be a doable SaaS offering by an LET type of provider. Basically there would be a queueing system at the front end and some dedicated servers at the backend that were kept busy by the incoming requests. You'd upload a file with your transcode specs and the result would come back with maybe 1 day turnaround, faster if you paid extra for priority processing. Does that sound interesting at all?

yep! I would be interested ... ;P

• There is licensing involved with the H.264 and H.265 codecs. Google codecs are fine but less supported. (Just saying)

Thanked by 1willie
  • Thanks everyone for posting, you really made it my most viewed post on LET :)

• Wow money from other peoples work and your most popular post ever - bragging rights tomorrow at school I bet.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

If you plan to encode videos then using an online service (IAAS based) would yield the best cost effective solution. Examples of online based video transcoders are Amazon ElasticTranscoder , NeuCoderm ZenCoder and many more.

But the only thing would be to transfer the video encoded files onto a storage server.