Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to Buy a Dedicated Server for Video Encoding
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want to Buy a Dedicated Server for Video Encoding

StevenGeorgeStevenGeorge Member
edited December 2016 in Requests

Hello,

I am looking for a dedicated server -

here's what i am looking for:

Intel Xeon E5-1650v3 / 1650v4 / 1660v3 / 1660v4
64 GB DD4 RAM
4x3 TB SATAIII
HARDWARE RAID-10
Internal KVM over IP
1Gbps or Better Network
30TB Monthly Bandwidth

What i will do with it:

Will Install Windows OS
Download files (copyrighted) from direct links / torrent
Encode it
Upload it to multiple file host

• Will not serve any type of files publicly from the server
  • No torrent seeding / any complaint can be resolved within 24 hours or faster
  • Receiving max 2 - 5 complains in a month

Budget:

Primarily $160.00 USD (Monthly Billing only), can increase it depending on the offer.

Server Location: Europe preferred including UK :)

Please post your offers, thanks.

Comments

• Let me get this straight: you'll be downloading copyrighted files?

Thanked by 3Clouvider GCat KillaKev
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@doghouch said:
    Let me get this straight: you'll be downloading copyrighted files?

Isn't that what it says in the OP?

Thanked by 2StevenGeorge GCat
  • @joepie91 said:

@doghouch said:

Exactly , i already mentioned it.

• @joepie91 said:

@doghouch said:

I said that because I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not. I mean what provider ignores 3-4 complaints a month? How do you justify that?

• @doghouch said:

@joepie91 said:

@doghouch said:

I said that because I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not. I mean what provider ignores 3-4 complaints a month? How do you justify that?

When / Where did i asked to ignore complaints ? I mentioned clearly that any complaints will be resolved within maximum 24 hours, which means i will remove such files completely from the server within 24 hours after receiving any complain.

It looks risky, but if it's truly 2-5 complains a month then i hope any provider can do it.

and i am trying to be honest, didn't i ?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

@doghouch said:

@joepie91 said:

@doghouch said:

I see no problem with the request. OP asked about what they needed, and provided clear information on what kind of support workload the provider can expect from them. If I were a VPS provider, I'd consider this a massive plus in a request.

Any site that accepts user content is going to receive abusemail eventually, whether valid or not. I regularly notify the hosting providers that I use of what kind of abuse(mail) they can expect, to make sure that they are willing to and capable of handling it, and that they understand how I address such issues as a customer.

It keeps all parties happy and prevents nasty surprises.

• Ovh? I'm using SYS as an encoding server and I'm pretty happy with it.

FYI I'm doing that for the copyright holder so it's legimate activity. Not sure how they handle abuses but seems very loose on that.

• It's a kind of surprising when you see surprised people on copyrighted material. Is anybody here that is not using Kodi or other online services to watch movies/series? Didn't somebody uploaded sometime this material to be available for us to watch it?

@StevenGeorge On the other hand, it is nice that you are totally transparent on what will you do with your servers. It is odd, though, that you ask this openly. There are a lot of services out there that will not ban you for something like that (assuming that you will not host publicly those files on their servers), as long as they do not know official what are you doing with the server. OVH is an example.

Thanked by 1StevenGeorge
  • Actually i was expecting offers from LET providers, but it look like they are doing nothing like this but in reality everyone has such clients like me. May be some noticed and ignored and some didn't noticed.

Now, OVH has a good network but they really can't meet my requirements, they listed iPhones in their servers list and when i bought it they gave me Android. Now yes Android is not bad but i can't install iOS apps in it , can i ?

Also i need lot of storage plus good disk read/write speed which require HW RAID and also for faster uploads 500Mbps Network (1Gbps Bur-stable is not enough), because my experience with OVH says you can burst 1Gbps download but not upload unfortunately.

After all these i hope i explained everything and still expecting offers from LET providers.

If you can't post it in public, you can always PM me ... LET still allows you to do ...

Thanks.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2016

God bless you as I am a Kodi user..

I have a question for the OP, as a Kodi user I created my own Kodi build and a few of my friends use it and love it, because it's very easy to find content and usually the sources in my build always work,

so my question is do these VPS providers have a problem with people like me making the builds available for public download..

• @painfreepc said:
    God bless you as I am a Kodi user..

I have a question for the OP, as a Kodi user I created my own Kodi build and a few of my friends use it and love it, because it's very easy to find content and usually the sources in my build always work,

so my question is do these VPS providers have a problem with people like me making the builds available for public download..

As long as you're not sharing any copyrighted files it would not be a problem. Kodi itself is 100% legal.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

Mate, you're surprised you're not getting any offers while effectively asking suppliers to aid you with breaking the law. Don't expect anyone serious to offer you anything.

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited December 2016

nvm

I had a feeling there will be an offer immediately below my last post :p

• StevenGeorgeStevenGeorge Member
    edited December 2016

@Clouvider said:
    Mate, you're surprised you're not getting any offers while effectively asking suppliers to aid you with breaking the law. Don't expect anyone serious to offer you anything.

I know how you do business, you stay away from even tiny abusive things. That's good for you and your business. But i know you resell servers to many providers too, can you scan all of the servers you have and prove your servers have no abusive usage ? I know you can't, because that's how everything works. There will be normal usage and abusive usage.

And there's nothing seriously abusive thing on my request, any good provider will offer this .... if i contact almost any provider i will get it with the same requirement . Now you will ask me why i am in LET, because i want cheap.

You can be different from the whole world, from the other providers and you can post that you can't offer anything like this or even post that no one should offer me something but do you know that doesn't really make any sense to providers who has common knowledge about the market. I can list hundreds of providers who own multiple DCs in multiple location, own way more servers than any LET provider and have way good reputation than LET providers yet they are allowing much more than this. Based on your logic USA should sieze companies like OVH, Leaseweb, Online.net , M247, FDCServers, EIG Brands, EvoSwitch, Datapalace, Databrun and many more. But it's normal that you are different and you are not alone, there are others. It's good to be different :)

But seriously my intention is not to argue with anyone in LET, specially not you. I am just a customer and you are a legend in UK hosting market. Please forgive me if anyway i hurt you in my post or offended you. I am also sorry to all LET providers if this post hurt you and this is my fully personal opinion.

Again sorry and Thanks.

• @joeri said:
    Hi @StevenGeorge

I can provide you the next server

Supermicro 2x Intel Xeon E5 2620v4 - 64GB DDR4 - 1Gbps 30TB traffic - location Netherlands

Can do 4x500GB SSD or 4x3TB HDD

For €150 euro (round $160 USD)

nice, but actually not all of the CPU work well with video encoding thing. But i wasn't aware about it and i just wasted 300 USD with OVH for the same reason .... CPU is not compatible for video encoding ... But the bad part is i don't know which are compatible and which are not. But i tested it on E5-1650v4 that's why listed all the CPU from same series, if you offer refund if it don't work for me then i can think about it. Actually in uncomfortable CPUs, when i start encoding it don't use the whole CPU but only 7 - 10% where with compatible CPUs it use 100% of the CPU. So the difference is faster encoding and slower encoding. Hope it explains enough.

thanks.

edited December 2016

@StevenGeorge that's not what I meant.

Of course we don't scan Customer's servers. I'm pretty sure that would be illegal too :-).

All I wanted to come across from my message was that the way you've written it, you're making it impossible to make you an offer without taking some liability on. It's a different thing when you do something on your own, whether legal or not, questionable or not, it's on you and only on you then. It wouldn't be likely to put you in trouble with the provider too, imagine how much processing power would one need to DPI every packet in a DC network. But the way you put a request forward means that if I'm to make you an offer I'm knowingly aiding you in breaking the law, and I'm pretty sure that in such case if someone would go after you, they could go after me too.

We live in a world with a lot of compliance and provider really has to be careful to not get in trouble.

Thanks for the kind words, good luck and have a lovely evening Steven:-)!

• @Clouvider said:

Of course we don't scan Customer's servers. I'm pretty sure that would be illegal too :-).

All I wanted to come across from my message was that the way you've written it, you're making it impossible to make you an offer without taking some liability on. It's a different thing when you do something on your own, whether legal or not, questionable or not, it's on you and only on you then. It wouldn't be likely to put you in trouble with the provider too, imagine how much processing power would one need to DPI every packet in a DC network. But the way you put a request forward means that if I'm to make you an offer I'm knowingly aiding you in breaking the law, and I'm pretty sure that in such case if someone would go after you, they could go after me too.

We live in a world with a lot of compliance and provider really has to be careful to not get in trouble.

welcome. But i think i am already providing all information to any provider i am going with and didn't choose Bitcoin as only payment method to be Anonymous. So provider will have my PayPal or Credit Card details too. Also, I am ready to take any action based on any complain the provider will receive for my usage on the server. I think i just said these things for 3rd time :D :P

Thanks.

• @zare are you in @Clouvider 's team ? ;)

• @Clouvider said:

a very thoughtful and reasonable explanation of why wording matters! :+)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Also let's invite some providers who might be doing already something like this or interested in offering me a server

@vstoike @verelox @liteserver @cociu @bacloud @HostSailor @ikoula @MivoCloud @Andreix

i am not blaming or making anyone responsible for anything. I just selected them base don different things, if you are not interested you can simply ignore this. But if anyone think i forgot to mention someone, please don't hesitate to mention him.

I just thought it would be interesting if it's possible to get them in this topic and i tried to read the rules multiple times before posting this. I saw there's no restriction in mentioning multiple providers in same post but please don't take it as bump up comment that would break a rule then :)

Thanks.

@StevenGeorge said:
    @zare are you in @Clouvider 's team ? ;)

That's one I can answer :-).

Zare is not affiliated with us in any way.

Thanked by 1StevenGeorge

@StevenGeorge said:

@Clouvider said:

welcome. But i think i am already providing all information to any provider i am going with and didn't choose Bitcoin as only payment method to be Anonymous. So provider will have my PayPal or Credit Card details too. Also, I am ready to take any action based on any complain the provider will receive for my usage on the server. I think i just said these things for 3rd time :D :P

Thanks.

It's not really about me heaving or not your details. In some cases the provider can be legally responsible in a same manner as the user, and I believe this is one of those cases purely because you disclosed your intentions beforehand. We live in a pretty complicated world.

I'm not judging and did not intended to make you feel bad or awkward in any way.

Thanked by 2vimalware KillaKev
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

@StevenGeorge said:
    Also let's invite some providers who might be doing already something like this or interested in offering me a server

@vstoike @verelox @liteserver @cociu @bacloud @HostSailor @ikoula @MivoCloud @Andreix

i am not blaming or making anyone responsible for anything. I just selected them base don different things, if you are not interested you can simply ignore this. But if anyone think i forgot to mention someone, please don't hesitate to mention him.

I just thought it would be interesting if it's possible to get them in this topic and i tried to read the rules multiple times before posting this. I saw there's no restriction in mentioning multiple providers in same post but please don't take it as bump up comment that would break a rule then :)

Thanks.

Sorry, if used for illegal stuff, don't count on us. :)

• @Clouvider said:

@StevenGeorge said:
    @zare are you in @Clouvider 's team ? ;)

That's one I can answer :-).

Zare is not affiliated with us in any way.

By same team i meant, is he thinks the same way as you do ?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Andreix said:

@StevenGeorge said:
    Also let's invite some providers who might be doing already something like this or interested in offering me a server

Thanks.

Sorry, if used for illegal stuff, don't count on us. :)

I already explained what i will do , if you think it's illegal then thanks and sorry for wasting your valuable time that needed to respond me.

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • ZareZare Member, Host Rep

Agree with @Clouvider on this. Wouldn't be able to provide anything.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Zare said:
    Agree with @Clouvider on this. Wouldn't be able to provide anything.

Thanks for your time.

• @stevengeorge at some point in your life you may actually do something original and unique that other people enjoy. How are you going to feel when someone steals it and makes money off of it?

• Okey, I can see your problem here. You are requesting E5-1650v3+, which is a very rare config on server side.

When I mentioned OVH, that's because I'm using their Soyoustart E5-1650v1 as an encoding server. 1650v1 is about 20-25% slower than the 1650v3 on x264, and it costs me $66/month with 2x3TB and 32GB memory. If you can get 2 of them, you can actually get 1.5x the performance with a lower monthly bill. Cons are no KVM/IP and no HW RAID.

You may have to look at, maybe, 7700k as an alternative. A dual E5-2650+ may also give you a similar speed while maintaining low price, as 2650/2660/2670 CPU is dirt cheap on the market.

Thanked by 1StevenGeorge