Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What flavor Debian distro do newbies choose?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What flavor Debian distro do newbies choose?

wilbowilbo Member
edited April 2013 in General

What flavor distro do newbie VPS buyers get, Debian or Ubuntu? And if Ubuntu what release?
Let's just forget about CentOS in this discussion.

Comments

• I picked CentOS when I was a newbie. In my experience it seems like Ubuntu is preferred.

• Centos because they think that is what all the cool people use then they realized how much it sucks then they go to debian or ubuntu

• debian if low on memory, e.g. 128mb or less. ubuntu otherwise

• We see a mix of CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu. Usually the latest release available that we have.

• From my experience, I'd say Ubuntu. A long time ago, I used to use Red Hat/CentOS but after I tried Ubuntu, I never looked back.

• I prefer Ubuntu, always use the latest LTS (12.04 for now), the second choice is Debian.
    I also use ArchLinux if possible (not on OpenVZ).

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Debian

• wilbowilbo Member

This is not a what distro do YOU prefer, it's a what distro do NEW CLIENTS prefer thread.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited April 2013

You killed the discussion by excluding CentOS...

• wilbowilbo Member

I'm making tutorials for newbies and I need to do one in Debian or Ubuntu, already have CentOS made. I just want to do it in the one that most newbies get when they get a new VPS.

• if you mean newbie, maybe ubuntu

• From my experience, CentOS because it is the "extension" of RHEL.

• Ubuntu is the easiest

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited April 2013

When I was first starting with my VPSs I chose the latest version of Ubuntu because of it being well known and being a ubuntu user for awhile. Tried Debian and will never go back unless I'm forced to.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited April 2013

@vRozenSch00n said: Ubuntu is the easiest

Also using yum in Centos might seem to ease lots of stuff when you google and could be one factor to people choosing Centos. As for Debian and Ubuntu I'm just guessing that Debian has more users using it in LEBoxes, usually it's found to be the better choice and even has build essentials.

• tommytommy Member

@vRozenSch00n said: Ubuntu is the easiest

just no. I agree with Intcs

• @Intcs said: Also using yum in Centos...
    @tommy said : just no. I agree with Intcs

What I mean is it is the easiest for newbie, just point and click. My first was FreeBSD, then moved to Yellow Dog, then moved to Mandrake, then move to SuSe, then move to Debian, at work I use RHEL, and now I'm using CentOS mostly :)

• jeffjeff Member

Easily Ubuntu and perhaps if it fits your business model a debian 128k tutorial.

• CentOS 4.3 :)

• ATHKATHK Member

I guess it depends I started on Ubuntu on my laptop first distro I tried so I am used to it, I mainly use it on most of my VPS's 10.04 11 and 12, I've also got a few Centos boxes and some with Debian Lenny & Squeeze.

In all honesty they are all similar when you aren't using a GUI....

• Ubuntu 12.10 on my workstation. Never use LTS versions on personal computers because there is no need for it. Waiting eagerly for 13.04 because it will bring lots of performance improvements for unity and the core \m/

• EvixoEvixo Member

Not related to 'newbies', but interesting though:

56% of deployments are Ubuntu
    21% of deployments are Debian
    17% of deployments are CentOS
    2.2% of deployments are Fedora
    1.8% of deployments are Arch

Source: Linode's about page

• Cool @Evixo. Now we have a winner ;)

• jeffjeff Member

@Evixo said: Not related to 'newbies', but interesting though:

Maybe not, but partly so.

• ubuntu!!

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

@vRozenSch00n said: What I mean is it is the easiest for newbie, just point and click.

Point and click in terminal has nothing to do with Ubuntu. Even if it it was only supported in Ubuntu, that'd just be a feature others lack, not change anything for newbie.

Of course you're probably talking about GUI, in which case you don't seem to have heard of something called Ubuntu Server Edition, which is the one used on... servers... (this discussion is about VPS, not desktop).

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

Newbies use Ubuntu. (i'm not saying Ubuntu is bad or people who use Ubuntu is bad, just hear me out)

When you're limiting this discussion to those two, they'll always choose Ubuntu.

You know why? Because Ubuntu is better known in the not-so-in-depth linux people crowd. Hell even SteamPowered.com supports Ubuntu as its main Linux Distribution.

So honestly, newer people will go with a name they know, that they remember, and that'll be Ubuntu. Once they use Ubuntu they'll like it and be fine with it.

Until it breaks. And then they cry. And then go to Debian.

• I'd agree with Ubuntu, for the same reasons as halfeatenpie, it gets way more coverage in non-linux centric press/media, and i suspect it's existing popularity is why valve chose to use it for steam.

i'm kinda glad i pre-date ubuntu. my first linux when i was a newb was debian 2.2, which a friend burned 7 CDs for me for because broadband was rare, and my only linux experience at the time was using redhat workstations at uni.

i use ubuntu on my home server because whenever i last built it the current debian was ~18 months old and i didn't want to wait for the next release. I think every VPS I have is debian though, and i can't see me using anything without apt any time soon.

• Newbie's seem to go for Ubuntu, personally I prefer CentOS.

• Non of the people replying here are newbies. Newbies don't know which Linux distro to use. Usually they get a managed VPS with cPanel. So that usually means CentOS.