Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should we ban potential deadpoolers from posting offers here? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should we ban potential deadpoolers from posting offers here?

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@serverian said: The competition should have had a rule "Must start in X amount of time"

I wish it was up to me, but apparently not. ;-)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

@jarland Every choice you make has risk attached to it. If you look at something and it seems really risky (or too good to be true) than it likely is. If you decide to still spend your money there, you took on that risk as you knew going in there was a chance it wouldn't work out. I don't have any problems with people calling others out on not offering good service, but when people have 300 page threads because they sit and beg for their $7 back because they are butt hurt over their own poor decisions, that is just plain stupid to me.

Sure, if this was lowendebayserver.com people coming here would expect to register and be tracked and be held accountable for their transactions. As this is just a open forum and people are welcome to come and post what they want (within our current rule structure) and people are able to make their own decisions on weather or not to trust the person they are spending their money with, this isn't the case here. The risk is on the purchasers side here at all times. You are the one spending the money, if you do not feel comfortable spending it, then don't. Also, instead of just coming to this site spending 3 seconds, making a un-informed purchase... people should know better and do their homework, get to know the host, see if they actually participate in the community, spend some time reading in the forum to see if you think they actually have enough knowledge to run their business, etc. Even some of the best run VPS businesses have failed or been sold, so really you never know what could happen in this industry. Just because they have a good reputation doesn't mean they are too big to fail.

Now, of course we do not want people who are known to scam to stay here, but that is the responsibility of our moderators to determine and for the community to step in and give out warnings and recommendations. After all this is supposed to be a community run venture, not a business auction site.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @MrAndroid said: There should be a RAM limit of 512MB. This is meant to be LowEndBox

The definition of low changes over time as technology advances. There are situations where people need larger amounts of RAM and it's perfectly fine that providers include those in their offers. If you don't want more than 512MB then feel free to select the plan that suits you, but don't try to make that choice for the rest of the community.

• @Benedikt said: @superpilesos said: It should be required for provider owners to send their identity scan, CV, and bank statement before posting

Once again, this isn't lowendserverebay.com, this is a forum. A community run forum. Not a business like WHT who medals in everything so that they make the most profit. Stop treating it as if there is a team of paid people behind this site who have the time to play Mommy and Daddy and protect you from your own stupid decisions.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited April 2013

@raindog308 said: @Jack said: To be quite honest @zhuanyi you put all that effort into winning the kickstart project and I am yet to see you start it..

I think @Chief should pass it on to a runner up as you're just taking the piss.
    +1
    Consider the people that @zhuanyi beat out. How would you feel if competed nd lost, and then the winner took it for granted and dismissively said "I'll start it when I feel like it".
    It's rude and offensive behavior.

How about I start selling it today and go deadpool in 6 months time when the free lease of my server ends?

I have nothing to lose, and I can restart in another 6 months promising people I won't be in deadpool next time. :)

And for anyone who is curious on an update, the site is done by my designer, I still need to send him some documentations so that he can get it filled into the the site contents, but once the site is complete I'll start the alpha and beta testing.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@zhuanyi said: How about I start selling it today and go deadpool in 6 months time when the free lease of my server ends?

@Infinity said: if you had the plan all along and set it out in your application for the competition it shouldn't be hard

I think you underestimate yourself and over think the whole thing. You know we're cool, so you know that when I say something negative toward you I mean it and I'm not trying to be a jerk. I think you really need to push ahead on this.

• @Infinity said: My thoughts exactly, sure there may be a bit of planning needed but if you had the plan all along and set it out in your application for the competition it shouldn't be hard. If you don't want to start it, you shouldn't have accepted the prize. Just my $0.02.

I don't have a problem that he doesn't jump right in with the start of the business, but by the time he decides to start this Xeon E3 system will be old generation already. Intel Haswell will be released in June.

• @jarland said: I think you underestimate yourself and over think the whole thing. You know we're cool, so you know that when I say something negative toward you I mean it and I'm not trying to be a jerk. I think you really need to push ahead on this.

+1, I appreciate this @jarland and no offense taken, I don't think @Jack nor @raindog308 was picking me up just for the fun of it as well.

I am working on it...I wish I can say more, but for now, I am working on it.

• LeeLee Veteran

@TheLinuxBug said: A community run forum. Not a business like WHT

Are you sure you are at the right site, this is most definitely a business and not community run

• @rds100 said: I don't have a problem that he doesn't jump right in with the start of the business, but by the time he decides to start this Xeon E3 system will be old generation already. Intel Haswell will be released in June.

Would be curious to see how many people would be adopting those 2k per CPU chips :)

• @zhuanyi said: And for anyone who is curious on an update, the site is done by my designer

Any preview?

• @W1V_Lee said: @TheLinuxBug said: A community run forum. Not a business like WHT

Granted a business does own the site (most likely?) however, the forum has been run in a community fashion. As such, the staff and moderators are not paid, they do it because they like the community. When and if all the staff here starts being paid hourly or salary to manage the site, then I think you would see a lot of changes, and see a lot more one sided decisions on things. Right now the community still has a voice and the people making it happen are doing so without a pay check.

Cheers!

• @zhuanyi said: Would be curious to see how many people would be adopting those 2k per CPU chips :)

I doubt the Xeon E3-1230v3 will be $2k per piece, but who knows. We will see in June :)

• @serverian said: Any preview?

I am not ready to release the brand name yet, but if you want I'd be happy to send you a few previews from my designer, if you agree not to mention the brand name in public. PM me your email if you want those.

• serverianserverian Member
    edited April 2013

@TheLinuxBug said: Right now the community still has a voice

Exactly what suggestion of the community implemented here on LET/LEB?

@zhuanyi said: I am not ready to release the brand name yet, but if you want I'd be happy to send you a few previews from my designer, if you agree not to mention the brand name in public. PM me your email if you want those.

PM sent. Thanks.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@zhuanyi said: How about I start selling it today and go deadpool in 6 months time when the free lease of my server ends?

If you think you're going to deadpool as soon as you launch if you launch now, what's to stop that happening in a few years when you finally start? If you think you're going to deadpool, you haven't thought anything through properly, so IMHO you don't deserve it.

@jarland said: I think you underestimate yourself and over think the whole thing.

This is true, I'm sure you have a plan thought out and you won't deadpool. Risks need to be taken, just estimated risks. ;-)

• SPSP Member

@MrAndroid said: There should be a RAM limit of 512MB.

I don't think this is the case, as you might be excluding people who are not terribly experienced in VPS administration. Before I started researching optimization, I would routinely run out of memory on a 512m burst.net VPS when hosting a few WP sites. It did force me to figure out what was wrong (template had samba and some other stuff installed and running by default), but it would have been nice to not have to rush it.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

@Sperryman said: I don't think this is the case, as you might be excluding people who are not terribly experienced in VPS administration. Before I started researching optimization, I would routinely run out of memory on a 512m burst.net VPS when hosting a few WP sites. It did force me to figure out what was wrong (template had samba and some other stuff installed and running by default), but it would have been nice to not have to rush it.

My comment was not intended to be taken seriously, sorry if I worded it wrong.

• LeeLee Veteran

@TheLinuxBug said: Right now the community still has a voice

lol, you are at the wrong site.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@Jacob said: @Pubcrawler pretty much answers why all the downtime has occured, also your VPS wouldn't of been moved 3 times, we had a IP Change which would mean your VPS first was in one of our US Locations and then moved to the UK, which would mean your IP changes(because of the migration), and then another IP change because of DDoS, etc..

Disregarding UK Location, US Locations have been flawless along with our new SSD Cached nodes.

Have you since cancelled, or do you still have a active service?

Any intentions to file your tax returns?

Name & Registered Office:
    EZYBYTE LIMITED
    83 DUCIE STREET
    MANCHESTER
    GREATER MANCHESTER
    ENGLAND
    M1 2JQ
    Company No. 07854040

Date of Incorporation: 21/11/2011

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
    Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC):
    None Supplied
    Accounting Reference Date: 30/11
    Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
    Next Accounts Due: 21/08/2013
    Last Return Made Up To:
    Next Return Due: 19/12/2012 OVERDUE

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

@W1V_Lee said: lol, you are at the wrong site.

You are still here giving your opinions and they haven't been removed by a moderator because they do not go along with what the business believes in? No one is getting kicked out of here for sharing their opinions about how they feel about @Chiefs work (or lack there of). Try doing this at WHT and tell me where it gets you.

On WHT I made a comment once about a seller trying to mislead customers about the locations of the servers and my comment was removed and I was slapped on the wrist. I do not see that happening here?

There is a difference.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

@patrick The letter went a while ago to dissolve file the company as dormant but I'll chase up companiesmadesimple on monday.

Right now nothing is being traded through EzyByte Limited but will be later on in the year which is why it needs "halting" for now.

• @Jacob said: @patrick The letter went a while ago to dissolve file the company as dormant but I'll chase up companiesmadesimple on monday.

Right now nothing is being traded through EzyByte Limited but will be later on in the year which is why it needs "halting" for now.

It only takes a day or two working days max if you bought it online for £50 as I've used them before for a old company I use to own. Or few days if you done it through the post but anyways that makes sense.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

To those who request a reputation system, I do support that.

Based on the frequent complaints on WHT, the company you work for and several others who post offers here might want to reconsider supporting a reputation system because hosts who provide mediocre products/service would likely not fare too well if people based their reputation votes on a hosts actual product rather than the hosts' popularity as a forum poster. :)

A community run forum. Not a business like WHT

It's rather hypocritical to ask Chief not to treat this site as a business when there are many members whose primary purpose for being here is to push their products rather than to participate in a community, and there are members who place as much importance on using LET as a sales venue as they do on contributing to the community (look over the offers list and then subtract the sales pitch related posts from a members total post count and you have many providers who only participate in threads when it might mean a sale).

There should be a RAM limit of 512MB.
    The definition of low changes over time as technology advances.

Since technology does advance quickly (I have a state of the art 8MB RAM Thinkpad that still works), instead of a RAM limit of xxxMB I personally would like to see more emphasis placed on #2-5 on this list that LEA made a few years ago and less on #1

And who is qualified to determine if a person should be allowed to advertise here or not? Existing providers? I don't think so. We don't need to turn this into an elite club and competition is a good thing, despite the occasional rotten apple.

Agreed.

• edited April 2013

@DomainBop said: Based on the frequent complaints on WHT the company you work for and several others who post offers here might want to reconsider supporting a reputation system because hosts who provide mediocre products/service would likely not fare too well if people based their reputation votes on a hosts actual product rather than the hosts' popularity as a forum poster. :)

Yes, I work for a company that doesn't have a sterling online reputation. I'm just an employee and it's just a job, I have no access to make decisions to do things differently. I just log in everyday and take care of everyone as best as I can. Even if negative reviews are posted on my forum, they will not be deleted. Unlike here if you post a bad review about anyone who 'sponsors' this site, then you get canned. =]

• Yes, I work for...

I know, the comment wasn't directed at you personally.

f you post a bad review about anyone who 'sponsors' this site, then you get canned.

That's a definite problem here and it seems to be getting worse, although not nearly as much of a problem (yet) as it is on the highly censored WHT.

• bobbybobby Member

RAM limit mentioned is stupid, since some (prometeus and now edis too it seems) can do it, regardless of moaning.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

How did you ever win with apparently no business plan?

• @raindog308 said: How did you ever win with apparently no business plan?

Why could you accuse me of having no business plan when you have never seen one?

And let's not derail this thread, I have provided some screenshots to @serverian, if you need to bash me for the fun of it, let's do it somewhere else.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I don't think so, this is a community forum and last I checked people had free will, if you don't like the host don't buy from them.

Next Question: Should we Ban people who actively seek to destroy a hosts reputation here based only on their own experiences, not aimed any anyone specific but jesus H people, things are tuning a bit lord of the flies around here.