Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPanel Alternatives..?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPanel Alternatives..?

What are some whm/cpanel alternatives that:
1. Are free to install on a dedicated server.
2. Enable your customers to install wordpress in a click/a few clicks.

The scope of this question does not include billing.

Comments

• sentora, centos web panel

• don't know about installing wordpress with a few click

• CentOS web panel is a good one but if you want offer hosting you should go with cPanel or Plesk.

• Paid : DirectAdmin, Plesk, Interworx
    Free : VestaCP, Virtualmin

Thanked by 1sucre13
  • Webuzo, maybe?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Virtualmin and webmin better than CentOS web panel or sentora

• @WebProject said:
    Virtualmin and webmin better than CentOS web panel or sentora

I completely agree. Using webmin/virtualmin myself and you can write your own one click installs witouth much effort.
    Also low footprint, so ideal for vps.

• So is Virtualmin for spinning up VPS and Webmin for spinning up Web Hosting accounts? Take this under the pretense I am buying a dedicated server and selling shared web hosting. Not sure if virtualmin is relevant, please advise. I may be misreading the documentation.

• If you plan on making money with this, what people are looking is cPanel, nothing more, nothing less.

/thread

Thanked by 4alown sin WSS vimalware
  • @FredQc said:
    If you plan on making money with this, what people are looking is cPanel, nothing more, nothing less.

/thread

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @cheapwebdev said:
    So is Virtualmin for spinning up VPS and Webmin for spinning up Web Hosting accounts? Take this under the pretense I am buying a dedicated server and selling shared web hosting. Not sure if virtualmin is relevant, please advise. I may be misreading the documentation.

If you're selling shared hosting then you really should go with cpanel.

• It's very true that CPanel is what paying customers expect. If they know you and are looking for a budget solution, I like ISPConfig. Setting it up will also get you very familiar with your server. I've got a handful of clients on it, but it's definitely a "dealing with it" over "loving it" set up.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • webuzo

• Bobby_TBobby_T Member
    edited December 2016

this is a pretty good overall guide on control panels

http://www.hostingadvice.com/blog/cpanel-vs-plesk-vs-webpanel/

p.s. webmin is handy and quite under-rated imho

• I plan to make it super cheap, that is why cpanel is out of the question. Planning for the cheapest plan to be at most $5/year. 10gb space and 500gb bandwidth minimum.

• I checked out ISPConfig briefly earlier. Also looked at Ajenti. Any recommendations between those 2?

• Hi,

ISPConfig, VestaCP or Baifox baifox.org

Regards,

• @cheapwebdev if it were me, i would just get a reseller account featuring cpanel that had some resources you could sell. As a first foray into hosting you could then see the time requirements for $5/yr customers and how to do fraud checking (to save you grief down the road). it would also give you a better perspective on how to address the many questions you have posed. One thing to consider - cpanel is $14 on a vps and $30-35 on a bare metal server. Take a serious look at the value of your time. If you say $15/hr - is that free panel going to cost you an hour more in time each month? if you value your time at $30/hr - is that free panel going to cost you 30 minutes a month. Finally free means random support quality- what if that free panel has an issue? whose going to help and how fast will it resolve itself and how many customers will you lose in the process. Free does have a cost.

Thanked by 2alown webcraft
  • Well yes, that is correct..
    But theres more I am choosing not to disclose at the moment ;)

• centos web panel is a good free alternative but still won't recommend it for sell shared hosting, I think it's good for clients who wants to use their dedicated or vps for their personal use

• VestaCP is clean and Sentora is Power featured

• kloxo-mr 7 for sure

• erlogerlog Member
    edited December 2016

this my list:

1.vestacp

2.froxlor

3.ISPConfig 3

4.ZPanel

5.Kloxo-MR

there all free

• netenginetengi Member, Host Rep

ISPManager Lite 3.2$/mo

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited December 2016

*Virtualmin for yourself.
    (integrates unobtrusively with host OS unlike cpanel)

*Cpanel for selling .

It is known.

• Alternatives include VestaCP, Plesk, DirectAdmin, ISPConfig... that's all I can think of that's reasonable.

DON'T use Sentora/ZPanel, unless you enjoy making your privates public and your publics private.

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited December 2016

I use Webuzo for my VPS

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Webmin Webmin is best. Its a easy to install and host your website. Cost is $00/mo ;)

Other paid alternative is DirectAdmin but Webmin Webmin is good panel.

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    Webmin Webmin is best. Its a easy to install and host your website. Cost is $00/mo ;)

Other paid alternative is DirectAdmin but Webmin Webmin is good panel.

I would have thought virtualmin would be easier than Webmin on it's own, not the nicest looking panel but seems functional enough.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • RockIslanderRockIslander Member
    edited December 2016

As a paid alternative for hosting others sites, I would recommend Interworx and for free, ISPconfig. For personal sites and servers, Webmin/Virtualmin is king provided you have the skills to fully configure the server properly.

This discussion has been closed.