Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested in dedicated server with 250mbits port unmetered ? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interested in dedicated server with 250mbits port unmetered ?

13»

Comments

• No news about this @ikoula?

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Nope, but i could report to my company how much people here want this if everybody add a "+1" in this thread !

• fanfan Veteran

+1, and hope you can beat OVH and online.net someday. :)

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • What specs and pricing would you have in mind? That would allow us to decide if we would be interested or not...

• OVH/SoYouStart/Kimsufi all have unmetered bandwidth around 100-300mbps, there's also online.net which has a couple good offers as well

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

vimalware said:

Do something that Hetzner and online don't do.

+1, Yes, this is the right answer. There are always gaps in their offers, waiting to be filled. An E3-1220 with 500GB SSD or 1TB SSD would be very interesting, especially if you had slower HDD SAN add-on storage available at say 1 euro/100GB or maybe 2.5 euro/250GB. Nobody offers this right now afaict. Even sftp backup at those prices (hopefully lower) would be nice.

Online.net has SAN for 10 euro/1TB and Hetzner has its Storagebox product at ~10 euro/2TB (not quite SAN, but you can sshfs mount it). Hetzner has smaller storageboxes that cost much more per TB, like 3 euro for 100GB, but 2TB is where it gets more attractive.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • I extend on @vimalware

For a start I think that being different would also mean to offer choices within reasonable bounds. I'd put it as "base" plus one of some "personalities" with "base" being a) the cpu, b) 16 GB RAM, c) the bandwidth, which I would start at 100 Mb to allow for attractive entry level pricing.

The "personalities" could be something like

• storage - 2 * 1 or 2 TB hdd (spindles, no hw. raid). Maybe later you might add hw-raid and 5 * hdd options. Maybe.

• simple - 1 * 240 GB ssd. (the cheap base model)

• server - 1 * 500GB or 1 TB hdd (spindles) plus /29 IP4.

with the above 3 "personalities" actually just being typical constellations built from the add-on options you offered which could be added to "base".

Those options would be like a menu to chose from to build "customized" server. Thing like x * 240+GB ssd, x * 1 or 2 TB hdd in the disk compartment, plus x * 16 GB RAM in the memory compartment, and a /29 IP options and 250 Mb/s and 500 Mb/s bandwith in the network/IP compartment.

Those are rather few options (hence easy to manage and put into the panel) but they would be enough to allow for "customized" servers. Obviously there are system bounds. 5 * hdd, for instance, could only be offered if the chassis had the room (many only have room for 2 drives).

Notes:

• I would offer a cheap ftp backup option, too. Say, in 100 GB steps.
    • I would want to know more about your backend, like how many hops to paris IX, how many pipes and what size. DDOS protection available?

• If you offered unmetered internal bandwidth, quite many companies and some VPS hosters might go with you. A good "menu" is critical. Also note that that in itself would add value. Having only 1 box available would put you into the pricing grinder.

Thanked by 2willie Ikoula
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

Responding to bsdguy (mostly in agreement):

• 1-drive HDD is much more interesting if there is cheap backup space available. Cheap = 5 euro / TB if possible. Otherwise it's hard to beat Kimsufi for 1x drives 2TB or smaller. 1x 6TB would be interesting since they don't have that. SYS has an ARM server with that, but it costs too much given the slow cpu. E3 could make up for that.

• 120GB or 240GB SSD is well covered by others, 500GB is more of an opportunity

• I don't understand why people want multiple ipv4 unless they're hosting, but that's just me

• Fast free internal network is great. Hetzner and OVH have this and it enables many things. I've bought LET VPS's in those places just for easy communication with my other stuff in the same places.

• Fast free internal network also makes it easier for customers to split resources across multiple servers. E.g. could have a fast compute server and a slower storage server on the internal network, instead of having to find a single server with both resources in the same box. The compute server could still get to the storage server with high throughput.

• 10Gbps ports and internal network would be new and awesome if it didn't crank up costs too much. I'd pay some extra for this if I had multiple servers at the same location.

• In this day and age I think any large server needs 1Gbps external network port even if the external BW is capped. I'm ok with a cap of 2x the hard drive space.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    Responding to bsdguy (mostly in agreement):

• I don't understand why people want multiple ipv4 unless they're hosting, but that's just me

Uh, virtualization?

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

WSS said:

Uh, virtualization?

NAT, ipv6, proxy front end ... ok though I guess it makes sense, people could want multiple ipv4 for different public-facing services. I haven't felt any need for that myself.

• willie said: proxy front end

Nice but you have to pay for it so some people might rather pay for more IPs :)

• +1 from me too.

• datanoise said: willie said: proxy front end

Nice but you have to pay for it so some people might rather pay for more IPs :)

I mean run the proxy on the same machine, so it uses the main IP and forwards stuff to internal IP's.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • +1, It seems that Ikoula, Online, OVH competition is very fierce XD

• $7-10 will be OK and I think can add location like U.S or Canada even with additional fee.

• I'll bite, +1

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Thanks your comments are apreciated !