Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Lightsail - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon Lightsail

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2016

trewq said:

Some of us don't have a choice "cuz AMAZON" has all the certifications.

Yeah, that. Only when the free market and competition based on pure quality are stiffled by some bureacracy requirement, Amazon can probably peddle some of their mediocre product.

WebDude said: Many others like OVH and Time4VPS more or less constantly underperform.

Ur mom constantly underperforms, I got two OVH VPS-SSD on Black Friday, and both are perfect performance-wise. Full 100 Mbit network, fast CPU, 400 MB/sec IO, etc.

Thanked by 1boernd
  • Only Amazon can make something as simple as creating a VPS look so complicated.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said:
    Only Amazon can make something as simple as creating a VPS look so complicated.

I like the UI, lol. It's quite clean and responsive.

• I'm liking it so far, the $5 one is free for a month so you can test it out.

• lucastlucast Member
    edited December 2016

I cant' use wildcard on they dns system ): *.domain.com not working..
    Seens everything in completely alpha stage

• @lucast said:
    I cant' use wildcard on they dns system ): *.domain.com not working..
    Seens everything in completely alpha stage

Is it just direct integration with route 53?

• @rm_ said:
    Amazon can probably peddle some of their mediocre product.

While EC2 is certainly mediocre (just like Azure & GCE), it has the advantage of its whole ecosystem. If you don't need any of that, there's no reason to go to EC2 instead of DO. But if you do, Lightsail really makes it cost effective.

• The fact that is amazon does not make it more reliable BUT amazon has a name in the enterprise industry. You mention cloud in any enterprise/business meeting, the name that follow are azure, amazon (aws), google.

So, even when the performance is shitty or is not SSD ,etc, it does not matter, what matters is that Amazon is the mainstream. Just like what happen with apple. Even if they do a shitty product, since is part of the mainstream people will buy it.

Another example. Some corporation don't need Windows or Microsoft products BUT they prefer to go that way because: Mainstream support, Better acceptance in audits.

In the IT industry at the corporation levels sometimes is hard to battle the ignorance. Sometimes you have to go with it, after all you are there to make a decent living.

Thanked by 2deadbeef Waldo19
  • Does anyone know if lightsail pools transfer limits among all VPSs?

-Adam

• rm_ said: Ur mom constantly underperforms, I got two OVH VPS-SSD on Black Friday, and both are perfect performance-wise. Full 100 Mbit network, fast CPU, 400 MB/sec IO, etc.

Good for you, let's see what happens when there's a problem. One of my failover-IPs is down for 2 weeks now. Several phone calls and tickets later, it is still down.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Nice, it's finally time to put my 20k AWS credits to a good use.

• @ascendrix said:
    Nice, it's finally time to put my 20k AWS credits to a good use.

...20k?!

• varunchopra said: ...20k?!

>
    Yeah, $20,399.49 to be precise. However $5,000.00 out of the 20k are only eligible/applicable for their support options (AWS Premium Support etc.). This is what my account looks like right now:

Thanked by 2PepeSilvia Four20
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

@ascendrix said:

varunchopra said: ...20k?!

>
    Yeah, $20,399.49 to be precise. However $5,000.00 out of the 20k are only eligible/applicable for their support options (AWS Premium Support etc.). This is what my account looks like right now:

That's insane!! How'd you score that?

• @trewq said:

@ascendrix said:

varunchopra said: ...20k?!

>

That's insane!! How'd you score that?

https://aws.amazon.com/activate/portfolioplus-signup/

• @AdamM said:
    Does anyone know if lightsail pools transfer limits among all VPSs?

-Adam

Don't know, but they mention bandwidth is shared between freshly deleted/created VPS:

If you delete your instance early and create another one, the free data transfer allowance is shared between the two instances. Data transfer overages above the free allowance are charged at $0.09/GB.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

WalrusBug said: The disk is slow for what is advertised as "ssd" (65MB/sec compared with DO's 200MB/sec)

That seems to be a general issue I've noticed on AWS as well, on their EC2 instances, on t2.medium getting only 67MB/s... while on equally priced VPSs on DO I get 276MB/s and on Linode 208MB/s.
    3-4 times the disk performance for the same amount, not good.

However, I am excited about AWS opening this product up, since I think that it'll force others, like Azure, Google Cloud, etc, to follow in their steps, leading to higher competition which is always good for the consumers.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • am I reading it right that they don't have hourly billing?

• @rds100 said:
    Only Amazon can make something as simple as creating a VPS look so complicated.

Well, they were a LEGO(tm) of hosters from the onset. It's a twist of mind to stop thinking "build ye instance out of 100500 services" and think "create a VM" instead.

• rds100 said: Only Amazon can make something as simple as creating a VPS look so complicated.

I found it pretty straightforward and simple to create the instance. But I was more than annoyed that I could not figure out how to log into the VPS without using a private key.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@AdamM said:
    am I reading it right that they don't have hourly billing?

They do, listed on the 'create instance' page.

• @Harambe said:

@AdamM said:
    am I reading it right that they don't have hourly billing?

They do, listed on the 'create instance' page.

Thanks for pointing out. On their brochure page (however) it only lists monthly:
    https://amazonlightsail.com

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • So I've had a $5/month VPS running for around a week and it hasn't been reflected in the AWS Billing console yet. Looks like it might be consolidated monthly, I really hope AWS credits cover it. Anyone been billed yet?

• trewq said: I disagree, to work through your post: They have Government certifications that other providers don't have

AWS also tends to have ok-ish network and uses good DCs (eg. Equinix) with certain standards, so yea lightsail is actually rather cheap.

rm_ said: Underperforming, oversold and limited, but people are still gonna buy it, "cuz AMAZON".

The term is "SLA", which you don't get shit of at Leaseweb or DO.

PepeSilvia said: ~65 MB/s IO is laughable

^This IO is nearly guaranteed and AWS bills/counts in IOPS, not R/W speed, which generally makes far more sense....

rm_ said: Yeah, that. Only when the free market and competition based on pure quality are stiffled by some bureacracy requirement, Amazon can probably peddle some of their mediocre product.

Did you ever work enterprise? Does not seem so. SLA, 24/7 L3 support (and on enterprise dedicated account team; can literally call 24/7 for L2) and backend engineers, inter continental links, service integrations for enterprise needs (eg. Direct connect, shipping HDDs, importers, DMS, RDS...) you don't use AWS for just a VPS.

Can't use Leaseweb or OVH for that, even if it is 50% cheaper.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2016

William said: The term is "SLA"

SLA for a $5 VPS? Do you really expect it to be anything more than "we refund you the portion of your monthly fee for the time your VPS was down". If you run a critically important service, set up your own HA, including across providers. Relying on a single provider to do everything for you "because they got all the right certifications" is yeah, exactly the Enterprise way (aka overpaying for something dumb, slow and turning out to be unreliable in the end).

Yes I worked with a lot of software/systems, and the moment anything is Enterprise, I reach for my revolver, because that's a sure sign it'll be an unmitigated monstrousity costing thousands of dollars in license fees, bloated to no end, full of badly designed fuckups and barely working without constant babysitting from some more thousands of dollars per year "support contracts" -- and still breaking in arcane ways even the vendor support won't give you a fix for, other than "upgrade to this new one, and MAYBE it won't have that problem". So no, you won't impress me with that word, sorry. :)

Thanked by 2deadbeef Layer
  • @laurence said:
    So I've had a $5/month VPS running for around a week and it hasn't been reflected in the AWS Billing console yet. Looks like it might be consolidated monthly, I really hope AWS credits cover it. Anyone been billed yet?

There is one month (they say the first 750hrs) free :P

• this is digital ocean + amazon services for the same price :)

• @ascendrix said:
    Nice, it's finally time to put my 20k AWS credits to a good use.

No offense but what's your startup? You're completely ungoogleable. We're in stealth, but we still have a one pager (our investors wouldn't take us seriously if we literally didn't exist online).

• @William said:

trewq said: I disagree, to work through your post: They have Government certifications that other providers don't have

AWS also tends to have ok-ish network and uses good DCs (eg. Equinix) with certain standards, so yea lightsail is actually rather cheap.

Most of LE* forgets the world is bigger than Minecraft servers and personal OwnCloud. In a world where decent engineers will run you $150k/year (and double that for the all in cost of an employee) that $5 VPS literally are a rounding error. Companies will waste more than $5 just reconciling the billing from DO, Linode, et al...if your devs are deploying there because AWS is "too expensive" then there are real net savings of moving to AWS even if costs are the same.

It's beyond me how this entire board thinks that the world is being conned by Amazon...orrrr, maybe you're just not understanding the whole picture. And I say this as startup who has a ton of infra with OVH, and very little with AWS.

• @blackjack4494 said:

@laurence said:
    So I've had a $5/month VPS running for around a week and it hasn't been reflected in the AWS Billing console yet. Looks like it might be consolidated monthly, I really hope AWS credits cover it. Anyone been billed yet?

There is one month (they say the first 750hrs) free :P

Good to know. Well, $5 a month is a pretty good deal for access to AWS infrastructure even if credits don't cover it I guess. By the way, anyone know what the heck this is:

img