Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why didn't you purchase a service from LowEndBox during Black Friday/Cyber Monday?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why didn't you purchase a service from LowEndBox during Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

We've seen from a previous poll that overwhelmingly, LET'ers purchased services from LET only. I'm now interested in knowing why that was.

Again, this is just personal interest for me, no agenda.

Poll not found

Comments

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
      edited November 2016

Lack of diversity. I am a firm believer in 'Equal Opportunity' when it comes to hosting companies, datacenters or locations :P

If I wanted to buy from CC, I'd directly go to the CC website, or subscribe to their newsletters and not waste time reading offers posted at LEB.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Virmach's "special dedicated" was sold out when I saw it. Hell of a deal. Only thing that really turned my head this year besides PS4 games and the OVH sale.

@K4Y5 said:
      Lack of diversity. I am a firm believer in 'Equal Opportunity' when it comes to hosting companies, datacenters or locations :P

If I wanted to buy from CC, I'd directly go to the CC website, or subscribe to their newsletters and not waste time reading offers posted at LEB.

Be honest. You just didn't check but felt this was a great opportunity to pretend you were voting with your wallet for a greater cause.

I know because you said "I didn't even bother checking LEB" a few hours ago :P

Thanked by 1deadbeef
    • VortexMagnusVortexMagnus Member
      edited November 2016

@jarland said:
      Virmach's "special dedicated" was sold out when I saw it. Hell of a deal. Only thing that really turned my head this year besides PS4 games and the OVH sale.

Just another CC reseller though... right?

I had no reason to buy from LEB or LET, but I think people vote with their feet when they see such blatant nonsense in the logic behind the offers.

• offers on LEB were by far less interesting. (besides virmach, but those have been mentioned/posted on LET anyways)

@VortexMagnus said:
      Just another CC reseller though... right?

At that price for that hardware I assume more that they have a good colo deal. I don't know much but I know you'll have to pry that kind of hardware for that price from @jbiloh's cold, dead hands :P

• What happened with the poll?

@rds100 said:
      What happened with the poll?

Seems like it usually clears up after a bit. Cluster fun :)

Thanked by 1rds100
    • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

Was a killer deal for sure, $30 E3..

I checked it, but checked out as soon as I saw it was CC-only. VirMach was the one doing the insane deals out of CC and those got posted all over here.

The VirMach site had their special BF/CM deals listed ahead of time and their special offers page had better stuff than was listed on LEB. You were basically too late if you waited for the LEB post on the $1/$5 per year boxes. The $30/year 8GB KVM sure as hell didn't make it over there.

Even providers who post on LET and get a LEB offer post don't put the good stuff on there or it's the same thing that went up here a month before.

The deals on LET happen in the comments all year round. When a provider just goes "yeah, we'll quadruple the ram for ya" in a request thread (thanks for the new storage box @Francisco).

...Or when @Nekki badgers them to death, telling them to whip it out WHIP IT OUT!!

Thanked by 3Yura deadbeef Francisco
    • Because I was trying to replace Nekki's capslock with a shift key. 30,000 hours, and he still hasn't left the darn thing alone for a minute!

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
      edited November 2016

@jarland said:

@K4Y5 said:

Be honest. You just didn't check but felt this was a great opportunity to pretend you were voting with your wallet for a greater cause.

I know because you said "I didn't even bother checking LEB" a few hours ago :P

I don't bother playing the 'Let's pretend game' or hesitate in calling a spade, exactly what it is. An internet forum is way too inconsequential to force me to try and act like someone I am not.

I did get an email from LEB outlining the BF offers, and I do read emails that make it to my mailbox. What I noticed were hosting companies that I simply wasn't interested in buying from. That is something which I have been pretty clear about, in my previous post as well.

Off late, I have observed a pattern over at LEB, which is exactly why I don't voluntarily visit the URL anymore.

I am not trying to post shit about CC or LEB, just for the sake of pretending to dislike them, in order to try and relate to a certain segment of people around here. Personally, I didn't even care about the takeover till the reasons became obvious enough, and made me change my bi-weekly ritual of reading the latest offers posted by companies over at LEB and spending my money on trying most of them out.

FWIW, I actually discovered LET AFTER following the link on the sidebar at LEB a few years back. I am not trying to distance myself from that. I WAS an avid reader of LEB and checked the site out as frequently as I check Amazon for deals. That says a lot. Doesn't it? :P

And finally, yes, you're damn right about one thing, and only one thing - I made a conscious decision to NOT buy stuff from LEB. That is not because the deals weren't good anymore. It was because there wasn't as much variety as I was used to, in the past. And if my tiny wallet helps in driving that point home to the powers that be, I couldn't be happier!

I like LET because it is not a corporate blog (yet) run by a company interested in selling their own products, promoting their resellers, or redirecting traffic to other random 'partner' sites that 'advertise' over there. To that end, I am happy to support hosting companies that make a genuine effort to get involved with the community over here, and continue to offer products that are in line with the idea that the place was built around - with my $7, or otherwise.

/rant.

Thanked by 2Yura TheLinuxBug
    • @K4Y5 said:
      An internet forum is way too inconsequential

Proceeds to write 6 paragraphs to explain his actions.

• @deadbeef said:

@K4Y5 said:

Talk about getting quoted out of context. Oh well..

• @K4Y5 said:

@deadbeef said:

@K4Y5 said:

Please explain.

• @deadbeef said:

@K4Y5 said:

@deadbeef said:

@K4Y5 said:

Please explain.

You should have at least quoted the complete line, and not just the part that suited your interpretation of what those 6 paragraphs were about -

An internet forum is way too inconsequential to force me to try and act like someone I am not.

• @K4Y5 said:

@deadbeef said:

@K4Y5 said:

@deadbeef said:

@K4Y5 said:

Please explain.

You should have at least quoted the complete line, and not just the part that suited your interpretation of what those 6 paragraphs were about -

An internet forum is way too inconsequential to force me to try and act like someone I am not.

Hahaha, he actually proceeded to explain :D Dude, I'm just messing with you, go home.

Thanked by 3K4Y5 Harambe vimalware
    • Option #5 is missing: "I tried but it just didn't work as expected." :)

• Unreachable order systems (unintended DDOS by potential customers, I assume)
      • Timeouts, database errors or cloudflare errors before the order was completed
      • Limited coupons invalidated between two steps of the order process
      • Cart mysteriously emptied while entering billing data
      • Domain orders confirmed by order system and email, but automatically cancelled and invoiced at $ 0.00 without explanation (several times with Namecheap's limited coupons. Even when there were still coupons left after order confirmation. I wonder if they really sold any discounted .coms at all...)
      • Bought service, got customer panel access data and invoice according to offer and when trying to pay, the Paypal link asked for different amount in other currency (higher total plus additional conversion fees, and invice mentioned one-time discount instead of recurring as in offer) and provider doesn't care to respond to ticket about the payment issue. [Ok, this one was about an offer from the other 3letter forum]
      Thanked by 1Waldo19
    • No non-US XEN / KVM offers with fitting ToS & AUP.

• Hello guys,

@virmach is good?

I have read mixed reviews.

Any recent review about their dedicated servers?

Besides, it's good the promo deal of E3 $30?

• What was the difference between LEB and LET in the sheer number of offers? My impression was that LEB put up just a half dozen, and the interesting ones sold out quick. LET seemed to be flooded with all sorts of offers and followup offers when things got sold out.

But I didn't buy anything because none of the offers struck my fancy. As I noted before it all started, I was only looking for providers that were offering new toys. I'm not a collector, so offers that are just yet-another-empty-box do not appeal to me.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Wanted to get in on the @virmach dedi, but it was for new customers only.

• 'Poll not found'

• Will not buy from anything posted on LEB anymore due to dishonesty in the offer posts.

Statements like "reviews are generally positive" when they aren't even close to being.

• I would have purchased more but ran out of dough.... :(

• @impossiblystupid said:
      difference between LEB and LET

For me it's a hole different story, I'm only active in this forums for like a year now.
      Here you can get special offers, fitting your needs exactly.
      Some providers may fight each other in offers, that means, you might
      get even a better offer than you normally would.

I love this community anyway. More often reading than posting but... yeah.

• ColoCrossing

• Hahahahahaha LEB

Some posts make me laugh sometimes...

Thanked by 1MikePT
    • I can operate my dedicated servers better than many of the providers here. So why should I pay them, when I can invest in my own infrastructure instead.