Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm thinking of setting up a free LET service. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm thinking of setting up a free LET service.

Comments

• @yomero said: After seeing how you like to talk and refer to people, I won't touch you even with a 10 miles pole...

@HalfEatenPie said: Basically how I feel.

You guys shouldn't let your anxiety disorder get the best of you.

@mpkossen said: I stopped reading here.

I'm trying to provide a free service to whoever needs it, I've never actually set up dovecot, postfix, etc. So kloxo popped up.

Since nobody here has actually bothered to write down a better suggestion.

• @skirtTight said: Since nobody here has actually bothered to write down a better suggestion.

Virtualmin.

• @skirtTight said : installed kloxo on it, and gave out a free service for the LET community.

Don't use Kloxo for public service, unless you know what you are doing. One of the bug Kloxo has is when a user trying to protect a directory and the directory doesn't exist, then the whole system will die. One other thing, if you pass parameters via web not via the api, then there is a possibility of xss injection from your users.

Kloxo is good for personal use, but for public use, you have to do your own patching, and don't enable the auto update for Kloxo. Only update the Centos manually using other repo.

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited April 2013

Free VPN ? (instead).

• AndreAndre Member

@bnmkl said: Free VPN ? (instead).

That'd get abused more than emails..

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited April 2013

Highly likely @Andre.

It would be more useful though.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited April 2013

of all the services, Y email? private GIT repo / VPN / RDP will be more useful

• @peppr said: of all the services, Y email? private GIT repo / VPN / RDP will be more useful

I don't see the point of your post.

• marcmmarcm Member

@skirtTight - you have my vote :-) Free FTW!

• Yes, ofcourse.

• @skirtTight You would want to learn from @jhadley because he used to run good hosting services and manage several forums and I admire him as a young intelligent self made man.

• @vRozenSch00n said: @skirtTight You would want to learn from @jhadley

Isn't jhadley underage?

• jhjh Member

No, I'm 21

• JacobJacob Member

Ssh he's 12 really, look at the gravatar. /jk

• @Jacob said: Ssh he's 12 really, look at the gravatar.

Heh heh heh he isn't as chubby as he was, but more handsome though.

• @jhadley said: 12/f/japan, please be gentle

• FreekFreek Member

@Andre said: That'd get abused more than emails..

Loads of free VPNs here..
    http://vpngate.net/

• Why be another one of the many free providers of e-mail out there?

Even with NameCheap domain hosting you get their free mail services, and for a minimal fee, their mail clients & stuff.

• @eastonch said: Even with NameCheap domain hosting you get their free mail services, and for a minimal fee, their mail clients & stuff.

Then don't use this.

Meanwhile, gotta wait for bluevm till they have stock.

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited April 2013

Do you guys want a specific panel?

Virtualmin looks good.

I'll be giving:
    200mb disk
    50gb bandie
    unlimited sql/emails thingies

It doesn't really compete with others but it's just for your basic needs.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@skirtTight said: thingies

Great sounds like this will be well managed then :)

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • Would anyone be interested in a private git? Free of course.

• @bcarlsonmedia said: Would anyone be interested in a private git? Free of course.

Not sure I would trust anyone except GitHub or some other trusted git service with my private repo's.

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited April 2013

@AnthonySmith said: Great sounds like this will be well managed then :)

It won't.
    I'm not promising anything exept that:
    I won't be snooping around your files.

That's my only promise, I'm not a company. I really don't care about being formal about it.

• Sounds good!

• @skirtTight said: trust most of let

I don't know how you connect the two, I am not totally with J but even you @skirtTight can't think this is good to aim at anyone for business purposes. It would be better to call it an experiment and try to front end it with a cool UI. Not to come off wrong it's just that you should have an angle here. Free + email with out one Just sounds like a spammer's dinner bell. My two.
    By the way I will be sending a PM after I run a few errands here so save me a spot.
    /Wink

• I ll appreciate if you do a custom email based on Public Key Encryption, somewhat on the lines of mega.co.nz

• @darknessends said: I ll appreciate if you do a custom email based on Public Key Encryption, somewhat on the lines of mega.co.nz

wut

• I fail to understand what "an email thats made based on public key encryption".

Unless he wants ssl in the web client or something.

• @skirtTight said: Meanwhile, gotta wait for bluevm till they have stock.

BlueVM has stock. They currently have OpenVZ Stock.

As for everything else, good luck, but the way you talk to other people just turns me away from a service like this and basically shows how "trustworthy" you are.