Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[EU] SSD Secure E-mail hosting - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[EU] SSD Secure E-mail hosting

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@deadbeef said:

@Kay said:
    @jarland Had no idea that you owned MXRoute, I might consider your offer, I only said in EU since I'll be getting e-mails from companies hosted here and sometimes delays with my current e-mail provider (ISP) happen and some info it's time sensitive, that's the only reason, but I'm sure I won't have a problem, let me think about it :)

Dude, your email client isn't checking emails every 100ms. Doesn't matter where the mail server is located. For the record, I use MXRoute and I'm in the EU.

I can see timing down to the second being important for some. I've got one client that exchanges about 30k emails within a ~4 hour period every night. I don't know what that's about but I imagine at that volume a small delay escalates ;)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • KayKay Member
    edited November 2016

@deadbeef said:
    Dude, your email client isn't checking emails every 100ms. Doesn't matter where the mail server is located. For the record, I use MXRoute and I'm in the EU.

I see your point, I might be my fault actually, I was using a service in US (shared hosting) and in that time they I had bad routing, high downtime and that probably made me ask for a EU service today, but like I said above I will most likely accept Jarland's offer, so don't worry, I'm coming around that old incident.

@jarland Let me know where I can find that offer ;)

Thanked by 1deadbeef

Kay said: Let me know where I can find that offer ;)

Here's 10GB storage with unlimited accounts/domains for $10/year: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=29

A good thing to note beforehand is that we do use cPanel, but there's far more going on behind the scenes. I wrote up a bit of a "why" on this that's a good read here: https://billing.mxroute.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=12

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @jarland said:

@cmsjr123 said:

@ascendrix said:
    @jarland and @Kay I would rather trust a USA based provider than an EU based one though due to data retention laws.

Here MITM can occur. There were stories of encrypted email providers here. and they forced them to shut down.

if you want encrypted email where it can't be read. USA is not it. Anyone touting they are encrypted and can't read your email in the US is either lying or will be shut down shortly.

Right, because anyone encrypting email will instantly host an NSA employee who then fills it with classified government documents. That wasn't a unique situation at all...

And in other news, mxroute launches a new server code named "James Bond" its address is 007.mxroute.com

• @ascendrix said:
    @jarland I actually live in Switzerland (it's not remote, but in the in the heart of Europe) myself and one of the subjects I'm studying in school is law. The current laws in Switzerland highly limited the governments ability to snoop on people's private lives (as a matter of fact anyone subject to digital surveillance has to be informed within 30 days after surveillance ends). Compelling companies to backdoor their encryption is not allowed under current law. A change to these laws is unlikely, as they would probably be subject to a referendum.
    @cmsjr123 Shutting them (ProtonMail) down would be extremely hard or near impossible under Swiss law and they've even received funding from the Swiss Federal government. They've also been around since 2013.

unfortunately, the Swiss have already caved in wrt their online privacy in September and voted to hand over the keys to the Federal Intelligence Service :(

bbc.com/news/world-europe-37465853

Thanked by 1WebDude
  • @mik997 This law only provides the government a framework to intercept/snoop on communication entering or leaving Switzerland in the event of serious threats against national security. The law doesn't provide for any way to force companies to backdoor their encryption, nor does it require anyone to hand over encryption keys. Here's an article about the law as well: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/09/26/switzerland-will-notify-citizens-when-they-have-been-spied-on-un/

• Can we use web hosting like email hosting?

@Arttu_Rantanen said:
    Can we use web hosting like email hosting?

You definitely can. Just keep in mind most web hosts provide email as somewhat of an afterthought. Basically since it's an expected cpanel feature it's provided. Most of them don't put much more thought into its quality than that.

• Is it possible to use a domain name in both a virtual server (e.g. company A) and a web hosting (e.g. company B)? @jarland

@Arttu_Rantanen said:
    Is it possible to use a domain name in both a virtual server (e.g. company A) and a web hosting (e.g. company B)? @jarland

Sure. Especially if splitting up email and web hosting, since they're different DNS records.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

Hi there,

Mailcheap offers private/dedicated email servers with excellent privacy. Everything is open-source and private servers also come with the amazing Rainloop webmail which supports client-side OpenPGP, 2FA, etc. Its even possible to authenticate only via 2FA in Rainloop for the highest levels of privacy/security.

EDIT: SSD storage is available with custom plans; but its really only needed if you require high throughput sending for use with EMAs/transactional mailing.

Best Regards,

Pavin Joseph.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2016

@jarland said:

@ascendrix said:
    @jaraland: The issue is that you technically can read his e-mail and hand it over to the government if they legally compel you to (in the US even without you being able to tell him). With ProtonMail both scenarios are technically impossible.

You're not my lawyer, and you're adorably naive if you think data is safe in any remote location. If you don't want governments to be able to invent whatever law they need to get your data, don't store it online, mr armchair lawyer. There is NO alternative to that. None. Today's safe haven is tomorrow's war zone.

You have to learn to work within the system, because you will not outrun it.

What about dangling a 300,000 km to the moon and placing a server there? I'm pretty no government will waste their time going there to reach it

/jks

edited November 2016

@doghouch said:

@jarland said:

@ascendrix said:
    @jaraland: The issue is that you technically can read his e-mail and hand it over to the government if they legally compel you to (in the US even without you being able to tell him). With ProtonMail both scenarios are technically impossible.

You're not my lawyer, and you're adorably naive if you think data is safe in any remote location. If you don't want governments to be able to invent whatever law they need to get your data, don't store it online, mr armchair lawyer. There is NO alternative to that. None. Today's safe haven is tomorrow's war zone.

What about dangling a 300,000 km to the moon and placing a server there? I'm pretty no government will waste their time going there to reach it

/jks

Sounds like a great way to get the US government to send more funding to NASA ;)

"Our freedoms are at stake. The moon simply cannot remain lawless any longer. In a universal economy we have an obligation to protect our interests both inside and outside of the atmosphere."

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @jarland said:

@doghouch said:

@jarland said:

@ascendrix said:

/jks

Sounds like a great way to get the US government to send more funding to NASA ;)

"Our freedoms are at stake. The moon simply cannot remain lawless any longer. In a universal economy we have an obligation to protect our interests both inside and outside of the atmosphere."

Assuming it's $20/km, that'll further the American debt by...

A WHOPPING 0.99%! (19899004062273/19899004081493) aka. diff. from cost of fiber over debt

Thanked by 1jar