Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[EU] SSD Secure E-mail hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[EU] SSD Secure E-mail hosting

KayKay Member
edited November 2016 in Requests

Hello everyone!
I'm looking for a email hosting provider with affordable annual prices.

When I say that I need a secure service I prefer to know that my emails are not read by someone else simple as that (encrypted is a plus)

Small specs such as
. 5-10GB SSD (be able to expand)
. Custom domain name
. Good support + uptime
. 10€ per year - i hope it's a realistic value

Let me know,
Kay.

Comments

• Would UK SSD cPanel work? Or do you need dedicated email hosting only?

• Romania: en.hostsolutions.ro

Starter cPanel Hosting - Starter Package (15 GB SSD Raid10 webspace)

Coupon code: LET50HOST (%50 recurring discount)

Price: €9.54 Annually

Not email hosting. But with some settings you can use it like email hosting.

• i think mxroute will have a black friday special soon. @jarland

Not sure if ssd though.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Kay Check out ProtonMail (https://protonmail.com). Custom domains are supported on their paid plans and all data is encrypted and then decrypted in your browser. There's no technical way for ProtonMail to read your e-mails. The app was developed by scientists at European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and the servers are located in Switzerland. However, it's a bit out of your budget, as the cheapest plan starts at $48.00/year.

Thanked by 1Four20
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2016

Got you covered on everything but EU and SSD. Files are stored in Dallas, TX for the increased privacy that comes from physically overseeing the server daily. I prefer my RAID10 4x 2TB spinning disks myself, fine performance.

None of us have time to read your emails, it's enough to be able to handle tickets ;)

Thanked by 2Wolf GCat
  • @jaraland: The issue is that you technically can read his e-mail and hand it over to the government if they legally compel you to (in the US even without you being able to tell him). With ProtonMail both scenarios are technically impossible.

• @jarland and @Kay I would rather trust a USA based provider than an EU based one though due to data retention laws.

• @jarland said:
    Got you covered on everything but EU and SSD. Files are stored in Dallas, TX for the increased privacy that comes from physically overseeing the server daily. I prefer my RAID10 4x 2TB spinning disks myself, fine performance.

None of us have time to read your emails, it's enough to be able to handle tickets ;)

No plan to expand on europe? May I know the reason why? I was planning on moving all my clients on mxroute.

edited November 2016

@ascendrix said:
    @jaraland: The issue is that you technically can read his e-mail and hand it over to the government if they legally compel you to (in the US even without you being able to tell him). With ProtonMail both scenarios are technically impossible.

You're not my lawyer, and you're adorably naive if you think data is safe in any remote location. If you don't want governments to be able to invent whatever law they need to get your data, don't store it online, mr armchair lawyer. There is NO alternative to that. None. Today's safe haven is tomorrow's war zone.

You have to learn to work within the system, because you will not outrun it.

• @ascendrix said:
    @jarland and @Kay I would rather trust a USA based provider than an EU based one though due to data retention laws.

Here MITM can occur. There were stories of encrypted email providers here. and they forced them to shut down.

if you want encrypted email where it can't be read. USA is not it. Anyone touting they are encrypted and can't read your email in the US is either lying or will be shut down shortly.

@drdrake said:

@jarland said:

No plan to expand on europe? May I know the reason why? I was planning on moving all my clients on mxroute.

For the reason stated in the quoted post.

• @jarland said:

@drdrake said:

@jarland said:

This means you will never support europe? What could be the delay from italy to your location?

edited November 2016

@cmsjr123 said:

@ascendrix said:
    @jarland and @Kay I would rather trust a USA based provider than an EU based one though due to data retention laws.

Here MITM can occur. There were stories of encrypted email providers here. and they forced them to shut down.

if you want encrypted email where it can't be read. USA is not it. Anyone touting they are encrypted and can't read your email in the US is either lying or will be shut down shortly.

Right, because anyone encrypting email will instantly host an NSA employee who then fills it with classified government documents. That wasn't a unique situation at all...

@drdrake said:

@jarland said:

@drdrake said:

@jarland said:

This means you will never support europe? What could be the delay from italy to your location?

Likely. I have no legal rights in any other country therefore I cannot provide any to my customers in return. There are ways to move beyond that but they're outside of my view for now.

• @jarland said:

@cmsjr123 said:

@ascendrix said:

Right, because anyone encrypting email will instantly host an NSA employee who then fills it with classified governmental documents. That wasn't a unique situation at all...

@drdrake said:

@jarland said:

@drdrake said:

@jarland said:

Likely. I have no legal rights in any other country therefore I cannot provide any to my customers in return. There are ways to move beyond that but they're outside of my view for now.

Does mxroute offer a demo account (of course with limited email sending) just to test delays?

• @jarland I actually live in Switzerland (it's not remote, but in the in the heart of Europe) myself and one of the subjects I'm studying in school is law. The current laws in Switzerland highly limited the governments ability to snoop on people's private lives (as a matter of fact anyone subject to digital surveillance has to be informed within 30 days after surveillance ends). Compelling companies to backdoor their encryption is not allowed under current law. A change to these laws is unlikely, as they would probably be subject to a referendum.
    @cmsjr123 Shutting them (ProtonMail) down would be extremely hard or near impossible under Swiss law and they've even received funding from the Swiss Federal government. They've also been around since 2013.

edited November 2016

@ascendrix said:
    @jarland I actually live in Switzerland (it's not remote, but in the in the heart of Europe) myself and one of the subjects I'm studying in school is law. The current laws in Switzerland highly limited the governments ability to snoop on people's private lives (as a matter of fact anyone subject to digital surveillance has to be informed within 30 days after surveillance ends). Compelling companies to backdoor their encryption is not allowed under current law. A change to these laws is unlikely, as they would probably be subject to a referendum.
    @cmsjr123 Shutting them (ProtonMail) down would be extremely hard or near impossible under Swiss law and they've even received funding from the Swiss Federal government. They've also been around since 2013.

CURRENT laws. Meaning until the next Snowden hosts there and the US government and its allies come breaking down the doors. If you think you live in the one place that will be able to protect data from extreme events, I disagree wholeheartedly. You're safe until the dice land differently and that's it.

I don't flee every change in global politics, I fight for privacy at home. My servers are physically accessible and I can set them on fire if I think that's what's best for my customers. That's my choice for taking care of my customers and they appreciate me looking out for their interests.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited November 2016

ascendrix said: Compelling companies to backdoor their encryption is not allowed under current law. A change to these laws is unlikely, as they would probably be subject to a referendum. @cmsjr123 Shutting them (ProtonMail) down would be extremely hard or near impossible under Swiss law and they've even received funding from the Swiss Federal government.

It's true that Switzerland has generous privacy laws in this regard. However, these types of laws previously applied to their banking sector as well. And then the US government successfully re-negotiated its banking treaty with Switzerland to force Swiss banks to turn over information regarding U.S. clients.

• ascendrixascendrix Member
    edited November 2016

@jarland Switzerland's not a representative democracy. Don't like a new law? Get 50,000 from Swiss citizens within a 100 days and there'll be a popular vote on it (binding). Want to change something or introduce something new? Get 100,000 signatures within 18 months and there'll be a vote on that as well. Good luck to the government on getting Swiss citizens to approve a law that infringes on their privacy.
    What's more? Switzerland has been neutral since 1815 and hasn't participated and/or been attacked during WW1 or WW2.
    I agree 100% about fighting for privacy at home, but some countries just give their citizens better tools to do that than others.

edited November 2016

@ascendrix said:
    @jarland Switzerland's not a representative democracy. Don't like a new law? Get 50,000 from Swiss citizens within a 100 days and there'll be a popular vote on it (binding). Want to change something or introduce something new? Get 100,000 signatures within 18 months and there'll be a vote on that as well. Good luck to the government on getting Swiss citizens to approve a law that infringes on their privacy.
    What's more? Switzerland has been neutral since 1815 and hasn't participated and/or been attacked during WW1 or WW2.
    I agree 100% about fighting for privacy at home, but some countries just give their citizens better tools to do that than others.

For now. Just remember you're not Russia. If you piss off the right people simply by being a safe haven for the wrong person at the wrong time, you won't stop the world powers from coming after you. Piss off US and Russia at the same time and who even cares what the UN thinks about it, no one will stop them. Being neutral and housing enemies of world powers are different things, and the second will change things.

edited November 2016

@jarland Attacking Switzerland would be illegal under international law, since its a neutral country. On top of that Switzerland is heavily armed. We have a history of not cooperating with other countries (for instance we didn't extradite Roman Polanski to the US in 2010). Oh yeah and unlike the UK and the US we don't extradite (aka screw over) our own citizens.

@ascendrix said:
    @jarland Attacking Switzerland would be illegal under international law, since its a neutral country. On top of that Switzerland is heavily armed. We have a history of not cooperating with other countries (for instance we didn't extradite Roman Polanski to the US in 2010).

Illegal wars? Man I can't think of a single world power that would do that :)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
    edited November 2016

@jarland Of course that would probably not be respected. I highly doubt that either the US or Russia would start a war over something like this. Nevertheless attacking Switzerland would be quite hard.

@ascendrix said:
    @jarland Of course that would probably not be respected. I highly doubt that either the US or Russia would start a war over something like this.

Well I'm glad you're comfortable in your doubt. By all means love where you live. So do I. That's why I make my stand here.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited November 2016

ascendrix said: @jarland Switzerland's not a representative democracy. Don't like a new law? Get 50,000 from Swiss citizens within a 100 days and there'll be a popular vote on it (binding). Want to change something or introduce something new? Get 100,000 signatures within 18 months and there'll be a vote on that as well. Good luck to the government on getting Swiss citizens to approve a law that infringes on their privacy.

California has direct democracy institutions (e.g., referendum, initiative and re-call) as well. Its citizens pass some crazy laws that way.

Switzerland was a haven for all kinds of financial crime (look at UBS) and then they acquiesced to U.S. pressure to end this type of business. The mountainous horn-blowing people will negotiate and sacrifice.

The fact that Switzerland is independent of the EU but culturally connected to Germans allows them to be a profiteering intermediary (similar to how many Singaporean businesses facilitate trade between Muslim countries and Israel.) A German manufacturer couldn't easily open shop in a country like Belarus, for example, because they'd be ham-stringed by German corporatism (i.e., worker's councils) and EU regulation. But a Swiss company can walk right in as long as the Swiss CEO agrees to be photographed by the Belarusian press getting "lectured" by President Lukashenka.

edited November 2016

@jarland I also like the US and I know that Switzerland can learn a lot from the US (applies vice-versa as well), for example our parliament doesn't supervise/oversee intelligence agencies as effectively as the US.
    @jiggawattz 2 things:
    1. About shady banking practices: These practices have mainly been abolished, because it wasn't sustainable anymore (due to international pressure, but not only from the US). In practice what happened is that the money is now stored in "anonymous safe deposit boxes", which start at around 700 USD / year. Those exist in Austria too. Banking secrecy remains in place for Swiss residents/citizens (except US citizens) and will perhaps soon be enshrined into our constitution (by referendum).
    2. Swiss voters have historically been very reasonable in regard to what they vote for or don't (this can't be said about California). I believe that this is due to different education systems and cultural values.
    3. Yes, the point about Swiss business selling to countries such as Belarus is correct. Even when there are sanctions the government hands out exemption licenses to businesses like candy. My opinion is that this is a good practice, since it gives Swiss companies access to markets and countries companies from other countries don't have access to. If countries such as the US or Germany are dumb enough to limit their companies that doesn't mean we should do the same.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @ascendrix said:
    @jarland I actually live in Switzerland (it's not remote, but in the in the heart of Europe) myself and one of the subjects I'm studying in school is law. The current laws in Switzerland highly limited the governments ability to snoop on people's private lives (as a matter of fact anyone subject to digital surveillance has to be informed within 30 days after surveillance ends). Compelling companies to backdoor their encryption is not allowed under current law. A change to these laws is unlikely, as they would probably be subject to a referendum.

Im not referring to anyone but inside of the USA.

• One solution is to run a gateway and do PGP for your inbound and forward them to jar's MXRoute. Jurisdictional benefits can't beat encryption I suppose.

gpg-mailgate sounds like an interesting project. I'm also working on this right now.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Exactly why would anyone who needs security against government-level adversaries would use email for communication?

• KayKay Member
    edited November 2016

Well... appreciate all the information, but I'm not trying to hide ISIS next plans nor TOP Secret Hillary Clinton information, at least for now...

@ascendrix I do know Prontonmail, I do have a free e-mail with them, I know the price they ask isn't that bad considering the location and their service are great and most of all encrypted, but I'm not looking to pay that much, I just don't want a service like those 'summer companies' that everyone talks about, I mean it's personal info that I might share with friends and family, I don't want someone reading my e-mail and telling my wife that I'm on vacation with my Shih Tzu!

I just want to feel safe knowing that I can trust a company with great support (if I ever needed it) and doesn't sell that to third-parties or is going to get all the data compromised (even tho that could happen to 'everyone').

@jarland Had no idea that you owned MXRoute, I might consider your offer, I only said in EU since I'll be getting e-mails from companies hosted here and sometimes delays with my current e-mail provider (ISP) happen and some info it's time sensitive, that's the only reason, but I'm sure I won't have a problem, let me think about it :)

cPanel e-mails can work, unless you're overselling or getting DDoS everyday (I know that can happen to everyone), but I feel more safe that way, and I'm sure you guys can understand that.

@deadbeef said:
    Exactly why would anyone who needs security against government-level adversaries would use email for communication?

Don't get me wrong, not trying to hide anything for any government agency, just trying to avoid any kind of blackmail if I ever get data compromised, sure this a long shot in the dark but it might happen. Oh and I would prefer using smoke signals if I ever need to avoid the middleman ;)

I could hear more offers if available :)

• @Kay said:
    @jarland Had no idea that you owned MXRoute, I might consider your offer, I only said in EU since I'll be getting e-mails from companies hosted here and sometimes delays with my current e-mail provider (ISP) happen and some info it's time sensitive, that's the only reason, but I'm sure I won't have a problem, let me think about it :)

Dude, your email client isn't checking emails every 100ms. Doesn't matter where the mail server is located. For the record, I use MXRoute and I'm in the EU.