Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hosting for subnets of 27500 IP's - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hosting for subnets of 27500 IP's

2»

Comments

• @William said:

davidgestiondbi said: From the number of Takedown I received from Nike, I think it's again their ToS.... ;)

ToS != laws.

Who cares, either way? It's more useful to examine who is being a dick, legally or not. Looking to target a single site with traffic from 25K+ IPs sounds like the start of a DDoS. But, then again, Nike is the one who is running promotions that attract that sort of "game the system" behavior from collectors.

What you get takedowns for are fake websites selling cloned UGG/NIKE whatever shit, these are certainly justified 100%.

As I've said in other DDoS threads, anybody asking to not receive your traffic is justified in doing so. A firewall rule only stops abuse at the destination. A respectable provider should be willing to stop it at the source as well.

But if they're Enso's IPs and he's not already blocked by Nike, perhaps what he's doing is considered legit "high frequency trading" by everyone involved. Shame he didn't post a budget so that people could tell if he was serious or just another low-end window shopper.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2016

impossiblystupid said: perhaps what he's doing is considered legit "high frequency trading" by everyone involved

Yeah I mean, people have been doing it for a while now. I've never seen a complaint from Nike myself. They keep doing it. Perhaps they're quite happy with the mutual success created by it. Limiting by IP is probably just their way of making it difficult for one single person to get all the glory, a little delay to let someone else get in on it too.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • pbgben said: N1KE's for sale. A1r for only $43 ($7 discount included for best forums)

I always wonder who buys that considering the seemingly mostly Chinese shop owners make bank - obviously they do not need to fear much legal issue but i figured getting paid is kind of hard...

impossiblystupid said: Looking to target a single site with traffic from 25K+ IPs sounds like the start of a DDoS.

No, as a (D)DoS would be very bad for him, he wants to buy shoes after all... which gets us to:

jarland said: I've never seen a complaint from Nike myself. They keep doing it. Perhaps they're quite happy with the mutual success created by it.

Exactly; they put out the price anyway - who buys it does not really matter for them and the limited edition stuff ends up expensive on ebay anyway, just the sellers are then different.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @jarland said:
    Limiting by IP is probably just their way of making it difficult for one single person to get all the glory, a little delay to let someone else get in on it too.

Then Nike needs to hire smarter tech people, because that's a terrible way to divvy things up. As we see here, it's easy enough for a big player to get tens of thousands of IPs (to say nothing of what IPv6 will allow). Meanwhile, the average Joe sitting at home is likely stuck behind a NAT IP he shares with a bunch of other people.

There are so many better ways to fairly allocate resources it isn't funny. You have to assume a company as large as Nike knows this, though, so they must be intentionally making it easier for the big players to win the game. What a pointless waste for all involved.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited November 2016

@impossiblystupid said:

@jarland said:
    Limiting by IP is probably just their way of making it difficult for one single person to get all the glory, a little delay to let someone else get in on it too.

Then Nike needs to hire smarter tech people, because that's a terrible way to divvy things up. As we see here, it's easy enough for a big player to get tens of thousands of IPs (to say nothing of what IPv6 will allow). Meanwhile, the average Joe sitting at home is likely stuck behind a NAT IP he shares with a bunch of other people.

There are so many better ways to fairly allocate resources it isn't funny. You have to assume a company as large as Nike knows this, though, so they must be intentionally making it easier for the big players to win the game. What a pointless waste for all involved.

Boo hooo hoo, I can't get my zpezial NIKEs, now how will I feel good about my self :((( Unfairrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!11!!. Wait, I know, I'll bitch about it on the internet. Ha ha ha, I'm awzome!

• Still waiting for the specs of those 4 servers OP wants.

Why would any business complaint about having their stock sold-out in a matter of hours ? Heck, I'd start an other company and sell servers in the same network as my website, 2ms it is. The resellers will jack the prices making the next series prices higher, more $ for the company.

If it's only limited by IP, that's like asking for unique ID per purchase, just hire a bunch of people, get their IDs or their families IDs too and rush to the stores. IRL DDOS ?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@dotted said:
    Still waiting for the specs of those 4 servers OP wants.

Why would any business complaint about having their stock sold-out in a matter of hours ? Heck, I'd start an other company and sell servers in the same network as my website, 2ms it is. The resellers will jack the prices making the next series prices higher, more $ for the company.

If it's only limited by IP, that's like asking for unique ID per purchase, just hire a bunch of people, get their IDs or their families IDs too and rush to the stores. IRL DDOS ?

27000 people

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @dotted said:
    Heck, I'd start an other company and sell servers in the same network as my website, 2ms it is. The resellers will jack the prices making the next series prices higher, more $ for the company.

Yet another way the whole exercise is ripe for all kinds of double dealing. It's happened on Wall Street for a while, so it really shouldn't be any surprise that similar corruption is leaking out to other markets.

Sounds like a big Apple release. Or all this "Black Friday" nonsense. Manufactured spectacle rather than any real interest in smart, smooth commercial transactions.

• @netomx said:

@dotted said:
    Still waiting for the specs of those 4 servers OP wants.

27000 people

In store black Friday sale? You Americans go fucking nuts for black Friday sales.. don't deny it guys, I've seen the footage on YouTube.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

impossiblystupid said: Or all this "Black Friday" nonsense. Manufactured spectacle rather than any real interest in smart, smooth commercial transactions.

Man, you have some weird passions.

Black Friday is not sensible.

LET US TAKE TO THE STREETS!

• @raindog308 said:

impossiblystupid said: Or all this "Black Friday" nonsense. Manufactured spectacle rather than any real interest in smart, smooth commercial transactions.

Man, you have some weird passions.

I wouldn't call it a "passion" exactly. Just an unfortunate understanding of how the world (well, the USA anyway) came to be as it is, and why it won't be getting better any time soon. I just think that what is strange is people who just accept some things as normal even when they don't make any sense. Aggressive sneaker collecting. Shopping camp outs. A bigger list of the crazy would completely derail this thread.

But somehow I'm the weird one . . .