Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brace Yourself: Microsoft Joins Linux Foundation - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Brace Yourself: Microsoft Joins Linux Foundation

Comments

• Well as the OP of this thread I'd just like to clear I'm not demonizing or evil eyeing MS or any other big company. I sincerely hope positive things rolling out but having watched quite a history of the IT world past 15 years I feel it is not just the "action", it is the "intention" that matters most behind such collaborations.

I'd surely like to watch the whole thing with a squint eye!

• @Master_Bo said:
    evil

You're still missing my point.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2016

Windows is a very good operating system. Don't start with "Linux is da best" etc. Linux is excellent, also. Every OS has it own target group. Windows is extremely user-friendly, backed up but tons of commercial and free software.
    But, the reason that Windows is still the first in use OS by far, is that MS is under the table let it be free for a lot of people! Even if it got hardened over the years and MS is going after companies that had install it in their offices using cracked versions, lot of users wordwide are using pirated software.
    In some countries, pirated windows are more than legal copies (Indonesia is considered to be 2nd on the list with 86% pirated windows users, followed by India with a piracy rate of 63%, wordwide is something like 56% while USA is on 19%).
    And MS want this to continue. Because, if the company's leaders decide a day to make produce of pirate windows impossible, they can do it! But, in this case, the usage of Windows will drop a lot, making huge amount of users to start trying alternative free operating systems, software developers moving or cloning their platforms to Linux etc., computer manufacturers jump to linux more and more.
    So, IMO, MS is playing the game in two fields: let pirate windows exist and taking a more close approach to Linux itself, for future use! After all, the evolution of Linux can benefit windows development, with MS bringing open source ideas and innovations to their platform.

• @jvnadr said:
    But, the reason that Windows is still the first in use OS by far, is that MS is under the table let it be free for a lot of people! Even if it got hardened over the years and MS is going after companies that had install it in their offices using cracked versions, lot of users wordwide are using pirated software.

I'm pretty sure people could pirate OS/2 Warp if that was the determining factor. ;)

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • deadbeef said: I'm pretty sure people could pirate OS/2 Warp if that was the determining factor. ;)

Ah, OS/2 Warp! Nice move from MS then, usual idiotic move by IBM then... In general, IBM committed suicide back in the late '80's and early '90s! The era that anyone was looking for an "IBM compatible" system and IBM saw this term disappearing in favor of intel compatible...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2016

jvnadr said: Ah, OS/2 Warp! Nice move from MS then, usual idiotic move by IBM then...

Oh, tempora!
    It reminds me of something called MCA if anyone can remember that :D

Microsoft joining is a good thing IMO, remember fox, if they will manage to break the foundation, someone will make another, so, stay calm and keep coding.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @deadbeef said:

@Master_Bo said:
    evil

Perhaps you need to re-formulate it.

• @Maounique said:
    Microsoft joining is a good thing IMO, remember fox, if they will manage to break the foundation, someone will make another, so, stay calm and keep coding.

True. However, they will manage to pollute existing good code with their "extensions" and "good ideas", as they did before. It's much garbage there already.

Let's see what the consequences are. That's most interesting part.

• I just hope they release native Microsoft Office for Linux. LibreOffice is honestly crap.

• @Master_Bo said:

@deadbeef said:

@Master_Bo said:
    evil

Perhaps you need to re-formulate it.

Ok, I'll be blunt. I was ridiculing your religious view of reality.

Master_Bo said: However, they will manage to pollute existing good code with their "extensions" and "good ideas", as they did before. It's much garbage there already.

They can do that outside of the foundation too and if it happens it is the maintainer's fault for allowing it int he first place.

• @deadbeef said:

To be exact, what your imagination considers a "religious view". You are welcome - especially since it has little to do with reality.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited November 2016

@Maounique said:

They can do that outside of the foundation too and if it happens it is the maintainer's fault for allowing it int he first place.

Well, to be honest, many OSS pieces are badly written or poorly maintained in any case, so no ill will is required to deteriorate them.

Anyway, let's see. I suppose there will be more interesting news on this.

• @Master_Bo said:

@deadbeef said:

To be exact, what your imagination considers a "religious view". You are welcome - especially since it has little to do with reality.

Oh, so evil is a secular word, how didn't I think of that.

• @deadbeef said:

If using "evil" means a pattern of "religious view" to you, I could recommend you to widen boundaries of your wisdom. In any case, from unsurpassed height of my self-esteem no irony can spoil my mood.

Simply speaking, you're welcome.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • varwww said: LibreOffice is honestly crap

Try WPS Office by Kingsoft. It is propriate (not open source) but has a free edition that does all of what MS Office can do. The interface and the functions are idendical to MS Office and it is 100% compatible to it. And there is a fantastic theme changer, if you want your office to look exactly like Word XP/97 (like I do, I hate the ribbon).

Thanked by 2mehargags varwww
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited November 2016

@Master_Bo said:

@deadbeef said:

If using "evil" means a pattern of "religious view" to you, I could recommend you to widen boundaries of your wisdom.

For us learned people, the boundaries of knowledge far surpass those of the "normies". So here it is - an opportunity for you to actually learn something. And if you haven't figured out what that something is, I'll spell it out for you this time: Words matter. Not understanding the meaning of words is the basis of muddy thinking and consequently the source of one being a tool.

That said, if muddy thinking is your hobby, who am I to object?

In any case, from unsurpassed height of my self-esteem no irony can spoil my mood.

I have to admit that I did enjoy the baseless assumption that I would care about your mood.

• Trusting Microsoft with the Linux Foundation is like trusting Hillary Clinton with a private email server.

• @Pwner said:
    Trusting Microsoft with the Linux Foundation is like trusting Hillary Clinton with a private email server.

Only these emails are open for all by default ;)

• @deadbeef said:

For us learned people, the boundaries of knowledge far surpass those of the "normies".

Judging by your comments, you have still to earn the "learned people" position. Good luck in that!

@Pwner said:
    Trusting Microsoft with the Linux Foundation is like trusting Hillary Clinton with a private email server.

Since all this saga started I was thinking she was simply prudent as a private email server at home is more secure than one run by the snooper's charta people.
    I guess it depends if the russians are after you or not :) At least they had to hack in two places, if she had the emails with everyone else, they could have simply downloaded them with everyone else's. I am still not sure if they took the emails from her server or simply collated them from the other source at the receivers/senders corresponding with her.

• @deadbeef said:

@Master_Bo said:

@deadbeef said:

If using "evil" means a pattern of "religious view" to you, I could recommend you to widen boundaries of your wisdom.

For us learned people, the boundaries of knowledge far surpass those of the "normies". So here it is - an opportunity for you to actually learn something. And if you haven't figured out what that something is, I'll spell it out for you this time: Words matter. Not understanding the meaning of words is the basis of muddy thinking and consequently the source of one being a tool.

That said, if muddy thinking is your hobby, who am I to object?

In any case, from unsurpassed height of my self-esteem no irony can spoil my mood.

I have to admit that I did enjoy the baseless assumption that I would care about your mood.

It's OK to be a tool @deadbeef but you don't have to scream it aloud :)

• @Master_Bo said:

@deadbeef said:

For us learned people, the boundaries of knowledge far surpass those of the "normies".

Judging by your comments, you have still to earn the "learned people" position. Good luck in that!

It's not earned, it's achieved. Do you understand now why you can't tell the difference?

• @chinmoy said:
    It's OK to be a tool @deadbeef but you don't have to scream it aloud :)

Whatever floats your boat kiddo.

• @deadbeef said:
    It's not earned, it's achieved. Do you understand now why you can't tell the difference?

Perhaps because you haven't achieved it, either. In any case, I don't care.

• @Master_Bo said:

@deadbeef said:

Perhaps because you haven't achieved it, either.

You've nailed it, that's it. It's MY fault. Never bother to take responsibility for your shortcomings and have-nots - personal responsibility is for humans.

In any case, I don't care.

Sure you don't buddy.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited November 2016

[removed]

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited November 2016

@varwww said:
    I just hope they release native Microsoft Office for Linux. LibreOffice is honestly crap.

I haven't used Office/Outlook in years. LibreOffice/Thunderbird works great for the price (free). Not sure what your problem is with it. If you are a heavy user of spreadsheets or whatever then be my guest and keep buying those MS licenses.

• @moonmartin said:

@varwww said:
    I just hope they release native Microsoft Office for Linux. LibreOffice is honestly crap.

I haven't used Office/Outlook in years. LibreOffice/Thunderbird works great for the price (free). Not sure what your problem is with it. If you are a heavy user of spreadsheets or whatever then be my guest and keep buying those MS licenses.

This is LET. We are too cheap to buy licenses.

• IMHO,
    It has to do with Internet of Things. Microsoft thinks that Linux will be the huge part of it and Microsoft wants some cake of it...