Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brace Yourself: Microsoft Joins Linux Foundation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Brace Yourself: Microsoft Joins Linux Foundation

mehargagsmehargags Member
edited November 2016 in General

Source:
Microsoft Joins the Linux Foundation as the World Remains the Right Side Up

Whatever be the intention... hope for the best!

But

Lets not forget what they did to Nokia...

Oh... and Google joins the .NET community

Comments

• Wtf Microsoft, not linux please

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Not sure if it's just me, but Skype is also running shittier by the day.

• @AlexBarakov said:

Most of us were affected... on Nov. 11, 14, 17 (today)
    http://heartbeat.skype.com/

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Microsoft has been contributing to Linux a lot lately (Hyper-V and such) and is the largest open source contributor on Git; interesting direction under Satya.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I didn't mean a specific outage of Skype. Just in general. It's installing new updates 24/7, crashes way more frequently, uses way more resources, as @Zen said - installs at least 3 different programs, adds unwanted notifications by default and etc. . For some reason, it keeps asking for my last name, each time I sign in, both in the office and at home.

• @AlexBarakov said:

Micro$hit decided to screw skype and make it use 80-90% CPU... I just decided to uninstall Skype (I don't use it anyway)?

• @AlexBarakov said:

Just yesterday, my Skype instance decided that I shouldn't be getting notifications for incoming messages and everyone at work thought I was ignoring them from most of the day :D

Thanked by 2GCat netomx
  • zrunnerzrunner Member
    edited November 2016

@mehargags said:
    Source:
    Microsoft Joins the Linux Foundation as the World Remains the Right Side Up

Whatever be the intention... hope for the best!

But

Lets not forget what they did to Nokia...

Oh... and Google joins the .NET community

But what does this have to do with Nokia?

Microsoft is not buying Linux (or the Linux foundation for that matter)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Foundation
    Linux ≠ Linux Foundation

@Jorbox said:
    Wtf Microsoft, not linux please

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Foundation
    Linux ≠ Linux Foundation

Thanked by 1qrwteyrutiyoup
  • In my opinion this is one of the first steps towards something big and bad. I don't like it. There is a faded smell of money here that only Microsoft can feel.

Thanked by 3Jorbox GCat Pwner
  • Microsoft is a very big corporation. It needs to serve so many clients, and sometimes tries that with rather crappy products. But they have A LOT of employees, and a large part of them could be designated to contribute to Linux because of this move, so it could also be for the better...

• Linux Foundation does employ linux kernel developers such as Linus Torvalds to extend/improve Linux.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

And that Linux Foundation, let me tell you, they are the 800# gorilla of the FOSS world, a real center of gravity...

• zrunnerzrunner Member
    edited November 2016

@Layer said:

Linux Foundation does employ linux kernel developers such as Linus Torvalds to extend/improve Linux.

I don't argue with that, when donating that much money yearly, they tend to somewhat listen to you as they want to keep receiving those donations and keep you "happy", but that doesn't automatically mean that for example Linus Torvalds will do changes to the kernel that benefit Microsoft, and there's also 8 other companies that donate just as much each year to the foundation.

Being a 'Platinum' Member gives you a seat at the board of directors but votes etc still needs a majority for it to go Yes/No.

• deadbeef said: Just yesterday, my Skype instance decided that I shouldn't be getting notifications for incoming messages and everyone at work thought I was ignoring them from most of the day :D

That's a pretty useful feature I've used on occasion.

• Microsoft is a Platinum member, Canonical and Redhat are only Silver :-).

• @Zen said:

AlexBarakov said: Not sure if it's just me, but Skype is also running shittier by the day.

Nevermind the addition of two new useless Skype clients since Microsoft can't make up their mind on how to develop it..

Skype Preview was randomly installed in the last Windows 10 update, without my permission, configured to use my Skype account (which is seperate from my Microsoft account) and then started sending me Windows Alerts whenever I would receive a message.

Edit: (good article on this: https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/microsoft-consumer-services/skype/66018/skype-reliable-communication-tool-falling-grace)

Anyway, I did find Skype Preview quite useful rather than having an additional program installed in my computer after the recent update. Which is quite interesting.

• "Goodbye World"

• I don't trust Microsoft. They were, are, and will remain evil.

So, I suppose we witness another "Embrace, extend and extinguish" in action.

• @zrunner said:
    But what does this have to do with Nokia?
    Microsoft is not buying Linux (or the Linux foundation for that matter)

Long story short >>
    MS proposed to buy Nokia for around $30bn... they refused. MS sent their EX-Chief to be CEO of Nokia, less than 2 yrs, MS buys out Nokia for $7bn

Enter the roots, kill it, buy it out... flush it!

• The game seems to have moved far along from 'M$' being the baddies/antipathy of open source.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

It's no need to demonize Microsoft, they are not so evil as many got used to say. They see potential in Linux Foundation and want to get benefit from it, however it's nothing bad as it should be mutual benefit. Eventually we all should get benefit from it, no matter we are Linux or Windows users.

Thanked by 2lucast rahoolm
  • ricardo said: The game seems to have moved far along from 'M$' being the baddies/antipathy of open source.

yeah those days are long gone. humorix is dead. bill gates retired. linux users grew up.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

It may be a case to develop their products for linux and sell them

• ricardo said: The game seems to have moved far along from 'M$' being the baddies/antipathy of open source.

Ironically now it is AMD and Nvidia while Intel is also major contributor...

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • @time4vps said:
    It's no need to demonize Microsoft, they are not so evil as many got used to say.

Oh, yes. "Folks, we were dark and evil in our Windows dark ages, but now we are all white and good, as we saw the errors of our ways".

Methinks, nothing changed in general. Thay have long history of evildoing. Nothing can just remove it. Whoever believes they can actually do something good for OSS, you're welcome to think so.

Personally, I prefer to stay wary.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul netomx
  • @Master_Bo said:
    evildoing

A member of the Evangelical Church of GNU?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2016

All of the big companies are "evils". Not just MS. What do you think of Google? Intel? Or, even more, Apple? Don't they try to monopolize the market?
    MS is probably trying not to lose connection with a big portion of the server and hosting market. Azure is nowadays one of their most profit sections, if not the most profitable at all... Windows are running linux as a subsystem. Rumors saying that some MS software will be able to be run on linux in the near future. So, I think it is quite normal MS invest in The Linux Foundation.

• jvnadr said: Azure is nowadays one of their most profit sections, if not the most profitable at all

Yup, they're doing great with Microsoft Azure. Their quarterly and annual reports keep showing huge growth with their cloud services.

• @deadbeef said:

@Master_Bo said:
    evildoing

A member of the Evangelical Church of GNU?

A member of "Binary Thinkers Order"?

When OSS (not just GNU) fits my needs, I use it.
    When Windows / whatever else is requried, I use it.

The distrust in Microsoft is just a habit of good memory. I saw what they were. Corporations can get more evil, but not the other way. Alas, empirical fact.

• @jvnadr said:
    All of the big companies are "evils". Not just MS. What do you think of Google? Intel? Or, even more, Apple? Don't they try to monopolize the market?

Correct. This is why I do my best to maintain equal share of distrust in every one of them.

Basically, those are two primary rules of security: "assume nothing" and "trust no data source".