Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server Locations - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server Locations

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member

@dominicl said: As per that thread, I am. I agree it's long but it was straight and to the point with the reasoning, etc and what I had done, behind it.

@dominicl - Why do you feel that you have to explain to anyone why you're doing it? Then again there are more hosting providers than gas stations...

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Hello,

@marcm said: @dominicl - Why do you feel that you have to explain to anyone why you're doing it? Then again there are more hosting providers than gas stations...

There certainly are. I didn't need to explain really, but I felt I wanted to be transparant with everyone.

• marcmmarcm Member

@dominicl - I have found that the only way to stay competitive is to offer efficient business solutions. If you want to compete by offering the same stuff as everyone else at a lower price point without any kind of plan they you're better off doing something else. In other words we are working on a services platform. When it will be ready everyone will see it, however it is not for the LET/LEB market. Also, in other words, the world doesn't need more VPS providers. If I wasn't a provider myself I would most likely use RamNode, ServerMania, Linode or even Rackspace to cover all my business needs. Don't go into this head first because you might end up loosing money big time. Just my two cents.

• Dallas - Ionity
    Los Angeles - Quadranet
    Chicago - Swiftway / CC / Singlehop / Steadfast

@Jack said: Good luck getting a decent price off them.

Lol +1.

@Patrick - will look at Swiftway and Steadfast and possibly SingleHop. (I'm in contact with colocrossing)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@Jack said: Good luck getting a decent price off them.

Yeah well he didn't list his budget in the original post so was just a recommendation :)

• @Patrick, yeppers. Ionity... They offer in Dallas and Kansas City. Good company. @ionity on here I do believe.

• @Jack said: Which Location?

BUFFALO

• @domincl, glutton for punishment ehhh? Buffaloed.... Get out of that town and into some place really New York.

edited April 2013

@Jack said: Which Location?

Los Angeles or Seattle.

@Patrick said: BUFFALO

-.-

@Jack said: Stay out of Buffalo, If this is for a VPS Location, It doesn't sell very good.

read above, gawd :P It's not. It's for dedicated servers

@Jack said: Stay out of Buffalo

I don't want a Buffalo location ;D

• @pubcrawler said: @Patrick, yeppers. Ionity... They offer in Dallas and Kansas City. Good company. @ionity on here I do believe.

You mean team Alec? :p

@concerto49 said: You mean team Alec? :p

Only one staff? :P

Hello,

This is a slightly different question, but I thought I'd save starting a new thread; what do people think of a Colombus, OH location for VPS's?

I could do OpenVZ, KVM or Xen (I'm undecided at the moment).

• @dominicl said: This is a slightly different question, but I thought I'd save starting a new thread; what do people think of a Colombus, OH location for VPS's?

I could do OpenVZ, KVM or Xen (I'm undecided at the moment).

What happened to your start off small and grow gradually statements?

@zhuanyi said: What happened to your start off small and grow gradually statements?

I'm still starting off small. I'm scrapping the shared hosting idea altogether since I've got offered such a great deal from a datacenter in Columbus. It's easy to sustain and can easily be done without any issues whatsoever :) Don't worry.

• @dominicl said: I'm still starting off small. I'm scrapping the shared hosting idea altogether since I've got offered such a great deal from a datacenter in Columbus. It's easy to sustain and can easily be done without any issues whatsoever :) Don't worry.

cough. Erm...

I've been offered a good deal from a datacenter in Columbus that I can easily sustain and get a nice easy profit on. Therefore, still applies :)

• @dominicl said: Only one staff? :P

There are multiple Alec clones that work 24/7.

@dominicl said: I'm still starting off small. I'm scrapping the shared hosting idea altogether since I've got offered such a great deal from a datacenter in Columbus. It's easy to sustain and can easily be done without any issues whatsoever :) Don't worry.

That's not called a solid business plan. You don't change your mind 24/7 just because of a new deal. It's long term sustainability that you are meant to be interested in.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@concerto49 said: That's not called a solid business plan. You don't change your mind 24/7 just because of a new deal. It's long term sustainability that you are meant to be interested in.

Seriously. this. The deal may give you temporary "benefit", but I don't see it being sustainable.

If you knew the price ans specs, you wouldn't say that, haha. I don't want to post that here though.

edited April 2013

Colombus, OH.

What virtualization do you guys want? There's not too many providers in Colombus which is good.

KVM? Xen? OpenVZ? I want your opinions. What would you like to see?

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2013

@dominicl said: KVM? Xen? OpenVZ? Whatever gets the most votes will happen.

I try not to chip in too much on conversations like this as I'm not a provider myself; but your suggestion sounds like a really bad way to take a business decision. Surely the virtualisation method forms a key part of the business plan, as it dictates how you'll divide up your servers?

@Nekki said: Surely the virtualisation method forms a key part of the business plan, as it dictates how you'll divide up your servers?

Yes, it does.

However, as the server has not actually been ordered yet (is being ordered this week), I can divide it up how I want to.

It has enough resources that I don't need to oversell so I can do either virtualization method. I want people from LET to get a chance to let me know what they want :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@dominicl said: Colombus, OH.

It's not as unique as you think, I believe @SupremeBytes or @DamienSB or whatever he's called here has that location. You should decide yourself on the virtualization, and what you think will work best, and what you can manage best most importantly.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@dominicl said: It has enough resources that I don't need to oversell so I can do either virtualization method. I want people from LET to get a chance to let me know what they want :)

Is giving the people of this forum 'what they want' a viable business plan? Genuine question, I always presumed that the business that comes out of this forum is rather small compared to the overall customer base.

• @Infinity said: It's not as unique as you think

It's DamienSB :)

Also, we don't have servers in Columbus anymore - the cost was just too high for not enough bandwidth. However, our company is registered in the state of Ohio.

edited April 2013

@Infinity said: It's not as unique as you think, I believe @SupremeBytes or @DamienSB or whatever he's called here has that location. You should decide yourself on the virtualization, and what you think will work best, and what you can manage best most importantly.

I knew there would be providers there, but there aren't as many there as say Los Angeles, etc.

The thing I've done in the past is OpenVZ. However, I've had comments basically saying that they're bored of OpenVZ, haha. This is why I was thinking of offering KVM or Xen.

I think KVM in Columbus would be quite unique. The server will have 32GB RAM, so lots of room.

@Nekki said: Is giving the people of this forum 'what they want' a viable business plan? Genuine question, I always presumed that the business that comes out of this forum is rather small compared to the overall customer base.

It's not, but I wanted to get their opinions :) If I set up OpenVZ, and then nobody wanted OpenVZ in Colombus, then that wouldn't be good either. I want to get peoples opinions first, and then will decide based on that and a few other factors.

@DamienSB said: Also, we don't have servers in Columbus anymore - the cost was just too high for not enough bandwidth. However, our company is registered in the state of Ohio.

Ah right, that's strange. The costs provided to me are pretty good if I'm honest!

• @dominicl said: I think KVM in Columbus would be quite unique. The server will have 32GB RAM, so lots of room.

What provider will you use? Most in Columbus are quite costy. Unless you're going to get a full rack of colocation space - don't bother. Even with a full rack of space most providers here will not give you a good price on bandwidth. A provider here (about a year ago) quoted me about 3,000$ for a 50mbps port and a /26 of ip space