Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vstoike blackholing all traffic of IPs listed in blocklist.de - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vstoike blackholing all traffic of IPs listed in blocklist.de

13»

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2016

Domin43 said: I agree, terminate his services for causing this drama! If I was VStoike he would be gone with 7 days notice.

I have essentially contracts, would not recommend that, the RU legal system and it's limits are not unfamiliar either. I did not violate any of the ToS, there is no immediate cancellation reason so there is at least a month announce TBD. I also paid years ahead.

Neither would i care much, in a day i have another RU location online and the anycast deploys automatic - i have literally zero loss or hassle outside of 2 mails, Vstoike/Fishnet on the other hand would have a hard time keeping or obtaining customers (Ironically i'd probably do the same as with another LET ISPs this year, formerly large - buy the competition and invest cash to border them out of the market then end up better than the original...).

jaakka said: However this thread served only the purpose of getting @William´s way, even tho he tried to hide it behind the fact and manipulate the readers. Bring out the tar and pitchforks gang then stepped in. Since your helpdesk was polite enough to get to the point

I hid what pls? And "my" way? My "way" here is the industry practice - what THEY do is ILLEGAL in not just a few countries.

The thread subject is 100% correct as is my post text, i'm not liable for anyone else in here including my girlfriends posts - this is legally solid, all outside of that is a freedom of speech issue in US jurisdiction w/ @jarland

My assumption of no route was explained and the ticket subject with NO route to Israel is also fine as there WAS none, it ends on the Fishnet core.

No lies, no lie by omission.

• @TheLinuxBug said:

@ManofServer said:
    If this was a different provider the thread would go to Off-topic days ago.

I am not normally one to defend people, but I totally disagree here. I think the issue @William brought up was a relevant one. No provider should without telling you randomly use some blocklist (especially the one that is being mentioned here) that they don't even control to block things on their network, that just ridiculous. The list mentioned is meant to be used by small/medium business who want extra protection on their firewall, not on an ISPs firewall where they have thousands of customers behind it. Granted they have taken the correct action in this thread of either offering to remove blocks and/or have removed that blocklist completely, though they should probably not be doing this to start with. If you were one of the people who had a false positive on that list using their services you would come here and complain too, just so happens you haven't been that lucky yet.

I think the thread had the desired effect as it seems @vStoike has rethought their use of that blocklist. So I see no reason why this would be moved to off topic, if anything is shows that @vStoike is trying to be helpful/cooperative in fixing the issue. I think most people can see that for them selves.

If people reading this thread can't figure that out for them selves then they probably shouldn't be purchasing/managing a VM/VPS anyways, so I am not sure who you are trying to protect here.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense. In the past I usually worked with more low-tech products and buyers there could more easily get discouraged so I guess that's where my opinion came from,

Cheers

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2016

vStoike said: Is proven by who? Can you share a link please, maybe there is a solid discussion about it on reddit or somewhere else. And when you writing that you are "very familiar" how can I check or trust it? Maybe your name is Richard Bejtlich or someone else well known in "IT security" world?

You could google my name? And you accept Reddit as source? Wtf?

Blocklist DESCRIBES THE PROCESS ON THEIR FUCKING WEBSITE - did you literally just tell me you imported their rules and auto update without ever reading it?

Jeden Tag kommen weitere Server/Partner (aktuell über 3528 User) dazu, welche uns Reports zukommen lassen, damit diese anonymisiert und automatisch an die Provider der Angreifer versendet werden können. Sofern Sie auch Ihre Angriffe über uns Reporten möchten, können Sie sich unter Registrierung anmelden.

• Have Anycast ready to go out of another location? Giddy up! Send those LOA's over.

You are not forced to use the provider, this seems like nothing else than you two ganging up on an ISP who can dictate whatever they want when it comes to ToS.

Give it up, you're just trying to strongarm this provider into letting you backseat drive the network.

Don't like the ISP? Don't use them.

• btw any stable vstoike/vscale alternative?

• VeespVeesp Member, Host Rep

I believe that "problem" was solved so no need in further discussion William-VS-vStoike
    And yes, he did nothing wrong so lets everyone chill please.
    Better to discuss new president)

@lustix said:
    btw any stable vstoike/vscale alternative?

In Russia ? https://flops.ru/ is decent one (ENG/RU)
    Also https://simplecloud.ru/ but website is RU only.

Thanked by 1lustix
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

@vStoike said:
    I believe that "problem" was solved.

Yes the "problem" is solved. But is the "issue" solved ? :P

@Zappie said:

@vStoike said:
    I believe that "problem" was solved.

Yes the "problem" is solved. But is the "issue" solved ? :P

It's complicated :)

• @vStoike said:

@bugrakoc said:

@vStoike said:
    Im sorry but do you understand the difference between the "issue" and a "problem" ?

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read today.

Simplified English is so simplified. Damn these days.

I LOL'ed :( Should I feel bad?

@bugrakoc said:

@vStoike said:

@bugrakoc said:

@vStoike said:
    Im sorry but do you understand the difference between the "issue" and a "problem" ?

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read today.

Simplified English is so simplified. Damn these days.

I LOL'ed :( Should I feel bad?

Not at all, i'm just too old i think.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2016

Kris said: You are not forced to use the provider, this seems like nothing else than you two ganging up on an ISP who can dictate whatever they want when it comes to ToS.

They cannot. Again: When i got my servers this was surely not in use and the website changed at one point (you can verify that via archive.org).

Russia is (at least technically) not lawless - ToS changes have to be announced and sent to the customer before being implement, with reasonable cancellation timeframe and/or refund if not accepted.

Kris said: Don't like the ISP? Don't use them.

I use whoever i might want to (along with Fishnet in SPB also Webalta/2x4 near Moscow, Rostelecom in Vladivostock and have a loc in glorious OMCK as well), what tells you i did not cancel yet anyway? As i also noted i prepaid ahead and would not get that money back (as, yes, i've read the Tos, there is no refund of credits).

Kris said: Give it up, you're just trying to strongarm this provider into letting you backseat drive the network.

Why not? I have proven i can run excellent networks and i never had any complaints like this in now 8y+ :)

They will either follow along - as they did here for obvious reasons, the network block is just plain stupid - or loose me (and others) as customer.

(Or worse depending how pissed i get - It's not forbidden to push someone out of the market by subventions to competition (yea yea in EU partly, i know) or similar, just not nice. Why should i sit here and complain if i can cause real financial damage with just some hundred-thousand $.. there is a reason i don't argue and similar on LET anymore much, passive aggressive is so much more fun if you can do such things instead, money talks.)