Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPU intensive VPS/dedicated servers (80+cores) , low ram/disk/net, or dedicated core(s)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPU intensive VPS/dedicated servers (80+cores) , low ram/disk/net, or dedicated core(s)

AVX_512AVX_512 Member
edited October 2016 in General

For 80+ physical cores what provider(s) should I investigate to lower costs? CPU intensive so KVM/Xen and Intel Xeon E3/E5 processors. (E56xx / X56xx is notably slower for my workload)

Vultr VPS with KVM is my primary solution now with vCPU @ 2.4GHz (using E5-26xx v2 CPUs)
Cost is $5/core and Vultr outperforms my local Xeon E5-2670 physical CPU cores. Netcup.de and Ramnode work ok but are not a better cost per unit of CPU performance.

Beyond Vultr I am buying my own hardware using the E5-2670 v1 (8 core) deals (~$80 per CPU + workstation/server). I only need ~100 MB RAM / core + OS overhead. 1 IPv6 address only is fine although IP v4 works as well.

I use Centos7/Ubuntu 16.04 with a python management wrapper for the computational workload although could use almost any 64-bit linux.

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

Online.net WOPR and OVH HG range I should think.

How does your usage work, is the app utilizing multiple cores or do you need to split the host into many single core servers?

Could look at a Powerful host, use Esxi with failover IP to create a local network, then create your linux template and clone it to maximize the performance (Single core/thread and KVM will have overheads) If you dont need all the RAM then perhaps allocate some to RAM DISK to improve read/write.

~220Euro will get you

2x Intel® Xeon® E5 2640 v4
    20 C / 40T 2x @2.4 Ghz SmartCache 25MB, x64, VT

It would be better to go dedicated if you plan on maxing out the proc, not all VPS providers do dedicated cpu and you may will be booted for abuse.

• Like @pbgben, I don't think VPSs would be good for heavy computation unless you going with a provider that's going to charge premium for that dedicate core. @drserver had AbusiveCores but they're all out of stock.

Have you checked out Hetzner's server bidding?

Excluding VAT, the cheapest i7 I see is 26euro and comes with 16GB RAM. There's also E3s starting at 29euro, and E5s starting at 73euro. No setup fee.

• Check out WSI they have dual E5-2670 for $59

Can't think of a lower price for this much cores.

• AWS - Spot instances they build the damn thing for workloads like yours

X1 .16xlarge - Go for it

Thanked by 1Dormeo
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

You really need a dedicated servers. To use full VPS cores - I am not sure that anyone will let you to do that. It is totally unprofitable to providers, because they will not be able to oversell VPS nodes.

What I can offer... 8 servers x E5-2640v4 ( 10 cores, 20 threads ), 16GB RAM, 1 x 120GB SSD, 1Gbps, IPv4 + IPv6, IPMI ... Total price 856 euro ( 107 euro per server ). https://www.bacloud.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=113

• I am thinking Google Cloud Computing.

Thanked by 1Dormeo
  • AWS Spot instances are more expensive :(

Agreed, WSI's Dual e5-2670 offer looks like my next option to try. They even appear to leave TurboBoost Enabled which is nice as many providers turn it off.

• pbgben Member, Provider
    October 25 FlagThanks
    ~220Euro will get you

2x Intel® Xeon® E5 2640 v4
    20 C / 40T 2x @2.4 Ghz SmartCache 25MB, x64, VT

It would be better to go dedicated if you plan on maxing out the proc, not all VPS providers do dedicated cpu and you may will be booted for abuse.

=============

$220 / 20 = $11 per core. Even if the v4 cores perform better they are over double the price of the Vultr VPS which is performing like dedicated.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Is Vultr's Core dedicated for $5 ?? It shouldn't be the way you're calculating @AVX_512 where in a dedicated server, your resources are entirely yours !

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed
  • BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited October 2016

@AVX_512, the cores are only dedicated on the Vultr 'Dedicated Instances' product range.

If you going to drill the shared cores range (aka. VC2), then you may find heartache much sooner than expected.

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Is Vultr's Core dedicated for $5 ?? It shouldn't be the way you're calculating @AVX_512 where in a dedicated server, your resources are entirely yours !

Vultr is $30/mo for a dedicated core. The $5/mo instances are still shared CPU.

I've hammered the CPU on them and not had any complaints, but I wasn't using 80 instances...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

If you're still looking in a couple weeks let me know if our slices will do the trick for you :)

https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices

Francisco

• @francisco

Looking past the thread-as-core advertisements, it would still be 30 usd/core, same as vultr.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@teamacc said:
    @francisco

Looking past the thread-as-core advertisements, it would still be 30 usd/core, same as vultr.

We would be half the cost of Vultr's dedicated instances?

Francisco

• AVX_512AVX_512 Member
    edited October 2016

@Gary said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Vultr is $30/mo for a dedicated core. The $5/mo instances are still shared CPU.

I've hammered the CPU on them and not had any complaints, but I wasn't using 80 instances...

Correct, using Vultr shared VPS at 100% cpu has not been an issue for months.
    1 vCPU performs like 1 physical 2.4Ghz E5-26xx v2 CPU for $5 / core per month.

• @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    Like @pbgben, I don't think VPSs would be good for heavy computation unless you going with a provider that's going to charge premium for that dedicate core. @drserver had AbusiveCores but they're all out of stock.

Have you checked out Hetzner's server bidding?

Excluding VAT, the cheapest i7 I see is 26euro and comes with 16GB RAM. There's also E3s starting at 29euro, and E5s starting at 73euro. No setup fee.

Thanks, Hetzner's has a 4 core i7-3770 at $26 EUR ~=> $7 / core usd

Perhaps I should find someone with several spare Xeon E3/E5 in their basement i can rent cheap :)
    Otherwise it appears much cheaper to buy my own hardware.

• netcup.de https://www.netcup.de/vserver/

They offer 12 core root dedicated for 45 EUR or ~ $4.10/core (E5 Xeon v4 @ 2.4GHz )
    Performance has been rather variable. They report giving dedicated physical cores but i see over a 30% performance drop between loading 6 cores vs 12 cores.

• RXWatcherRXWatcher Member
    edited October 2016

For $3600 buy this and be done with it: http://www.natex.us/Quanta-QSSC-2ML-10-Unit-Server-Cluster-32GB-p/quanta10-32gb.htm

I guess thats 160 core. :( Look for other ones on their site. They have some decent deals.

• AVX_512AVX_512 Member
    edited October 2016

Even better could do 96 cores for $1626. It would need DIY power/transformer or 230 VAC jacks.
    Someone should host these guys but its larger than a standard 19" rackmount. ~1.5 RU high.

QUANTA WINDMILL SYSTEM 2 NODES 4x XEON EIGHT CORE E5-2670 2.6GHz 32GB RAM NO HDD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTA-WINDMILL-SYSTEM-2-NODES-4x-XEON-EIGHT-CORE-E5-2670-2-6GHz-32GB-RAM-NO-HDD-/282201053246?hash=item41b47e583e:g:iysAAOSwCGVX9ppU

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@AVX_512 said:
    Even better could do 96 cores for $1626. It would need DIY power/transformer or 230 VAC jacks.
    Someone should host these guys but its larger than a standard 19" rackmount. ~1.5 RU high.

QUANTA WINDMILL SYSTEM 2 NODES 4x XEON EIGHT CORE E5-2670 2.6GHz 32GB RAM NO HDD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTA-WINDMILL-SYSTEM-2-NODES-4x-XEON-EIGHT-CORE-E5-2670-2-6GHz-32GB-RAM-NO-HDD-/282201053246?hash=item41b47e583e:g:iysAAOSwCGVX9ppU

I'm pretty sure these are what WSI rent out.

• @trewq said:

I'm pretty sure these are what WSI rent out.

Yup.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • those v1's have been said to be a POS ( no, no point of sales) by M Turner. Iirc they bwlonges to faceB

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

SYS has Power8 servers with 24 cores 192 threads: https://www.soyoustart.com/fr/power8/

They are advertising the server is up to 100 times as powerful as a classic X86 so I think it might work for you.

• @NDTN said:
    SYS has Power8 servers with 24 cores 192 threads: https://www.soyoustart.com/fr/power8/

They are advertising the server is up to 100 times as powerful as a classic X86 so I think it might work for you.

Lol thats nice marketing speak. I can't easily recompile my application so it runs on Power8. It uses some optimized x86 assembly.

• nice, 192 threads.

• Wsi has an 8 way cpu setup not in stock .
    Odd thing is the cpus they say they make use of dont run in 8 cpu setups according to intels arch website.
    Also they ask for almost 1 grand , give 10 gbits but bw is.. 33 tb lol

So your software is capable of utilizing all the cores. Does it not distribute across nodes well? If possible I would look into a way to split the load. I hear that Watson is available. https://watson.analytics.ibmcloud.com/product

• AVX_512AVX_512 Member
    edited October 2016

@pbgben said:
    So your software is capable of utilizing all the cores. Does it not distribute across nodes well? If possible I would look into a way to split the load. I hear that Watson is available. https://watson.analytics.ibmcloud.com/product

Actually my workload easily splits between cores and systems. I am currently moving to netcup with their 8cores for $25 EUR. The 8c netcup deal is now performing like the Vultr deal at 37% less cost per performance than Vultr.

Currently I am running 4 x 8 core netcup servers, 4 ramnode dual core, 1 WSI 16c e5-2670, 54c Vultr. (110 cores total + a few local machines).

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2016

AVX_512 said: Currently I am running 4 x 8 core netcup servers, 4 ramnode dual core, 1 WSI 16c e5-2670, 54c Vultr. (110 cores total + a few local machines).

That does not answer the question at all, "cores" in the same or also different systems?

Does your system scale ACROSS systems? And does it need major connectivity between them? (eg. 10G/Infiniband or a full 1G feed)

The cheapest option for CPU power in Europe are Hetzner dedicated from their auction interface, if you do not pay VAT it is also the cheapest option i know worldwide (and we searched for days in many languages). We have about 50 i7/E3/E5 from them in use.