Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small KVM plans: does anyone care?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small KVM plans: does anyone care?

DamianDamian Member
edited April 2013 in Providers

So I was working on rolling out some "smaller" KVM plans, since our current KVM offerings begin at 192mb.

But would anyone care?

Your thoughts?

Comments

• YES!

• JacobJacob Member

• @Damian said: But would anyone care?

They are very popular on the coast you are not ;) Not so much on the east coast, but they do sell

• @Jacob: ahahahaha that's awesome, i'm saving that for my own image collection

@miTgiB: I was hoping that our San Diego offerings would be more popular... apparently the Asians haven't been educated that anyone could piss the distance between SD and LA....

• @Damian said: apparently the Asians haven't been educated that anyone could piss the distance between SD and LA....

Just call it LA, problem solved

• MikyMiky Member

set 1 (at least) IPv6 and I'll get one :-)

• Why to have 4-5 different US locations when you can get from one side of the country to the other in ~75ms?

• @superpilesos : because it is too mainstream... :p

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2013

@Spencer said: Just call it LA, problem solved

Or... Cali :P

And yes, I am always interested in the services that IPXCore offers

• @Spencer said: Just call it LA, problem solved

Hell no, you know someone will complain that we're misrepresenting things.

Then there'll be a bunch of Internet tough guys on forums running the post counter up into the 700+ range, going in circles trying to show eachother who has the biggest epeen. Not that that ever happens here.......

@superpilesos said: Why to have 4-5 different US locations when you can get from one side of the country to the other in ~75ms?

Despite being imperceptible, it's a major point for some people. After this, we'll probably try to do Miami for South America via NOTA, for central/south-America customers connected via ARCOS/SAM.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2013

@Damian said: Miami

@Damian said: South America

Offtopic: And that's why I had a lot of cheaters at my gameservers in Florida some time ago...

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

@yomero said: Offtopic: And that's why I had a lot of cheaters at my gameservers in Florida some time ago...

I know that quite a few providers have complained that the abuse rate from Brazil is high, but we haven't really seen it. The only country that stands out for us for higher rates of abuse reports versus no reports is Russia.

• no problems with brazil, but argentina? My paypal account was permanently closed due to too many chargebacks, I think it was the same guy who just used different cards/identities

• BK_BK_ Member

I'd be interested in one of them there smaller plans :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Damian said: I know that quite a few providers have complained that the abuse rate from Brazil is high, but we haven't really seen it. The only country that stands out for us for higher rates of abuse reports versus no reports is Russia.

Honestly if I've noticed a trend in clients from South America it's that they're extremely polite and the type of people that are so appreciative that it makes you want to go the extra mile just because it's so refreshing.

On the subject of KVM, I gotta say I'm a little put off by tiny KVM instances. Especially when CentOS normal ISO fails on 256mb ram for me, citing not enough memory...

• @Damian said: abuse

Well, I am just talking about games. I don't know if this has something to do with fraud stuff =P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@yomero said: Well, I am just talking about games.

Oh man, sometimes I think gaming is bigger in South America than North America ;)

We get a heck of a lot of traffic from it, but I love it.

• johnjohn Member

@jarland said: Especially when CentOS normal ISO fails on 256mb ram for me, citing not enough memory...

Ask your provider to bump it up to 512 MB temporary or use KVM templates. The CentOS 6 installer seems to want 512MB RAM no matter what.

• I care. I love small kvm vps. :D

• How much ram trimmed down Debian 6 consume on KVM? should be much larger than VZ right?

• @jcaleb said: should be much larger than VZ right?

Maybe 30-40MB

• oh hell yea
    i am totally on it, but sadly only in NY

• @yomero said: Maybe 30-40MB

not bad, can still fit something in 96mb

• @Damian must pay yearly? Or No?

• Last time i try setup Debian 6 + varnish + nginx + php5-fpm + mysql just using +-20MB RAM on KVM VPS. :D

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think they will be great for VPNs that dont run on ovz such as IPSec ones or if you need something that ovz does not support no matter what hacks.
    As for the performance, will not be great, KVM has a lot of overhead and so many of them on a node will ask for trouble, even if SSD, even if small E3-32.
    I think under 128 KVM is more trouble than it is worth, but a really good admin might do it, my KVM experience is fairly limited, speaking theoretically, more than from experience here.

• @Damian I think it's a great offer.

• sonicsonic Veteran

It's great offer for VPN, and for great admin

• sonicsonic Veteran

@budingyun said: Last time i try setup Debian 6 + varnish + nginx + php5-fpm + mysql just using +-20MB RAM on KVM VPS. :D

Would you like to share your config? Please write tut :D