Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenStack as a SolusVM alternative ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenStack as a SolusVM alternative ?

Comments

• I'm confused, that looks exactly like the demo on virtengine site. Is automation the only difference? If so wouldn't it be cheaper for providers to create their own configuration management and avoid paying license fees?

The code from Nivalu looks like all the technology mentioned by virtengine, ember based frontend for opennebula with WHMCS support. So my question is what exactly is being built on the virtengine side.

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

That's their OpenSource Version :)

• DETioDETio Member
    edited October 2016

jclouds said: I'm confused, that looks exactly like the demo on virtengine site. Is automation the only difference? If so wouldn't it be cheaper for providers to create their own configuration management and avoid paying license fees?

The code from Nivalu looks like all the technology mentioned by virtengine, ember based frontend for opennebula with WHMCS support. So my question is what exactly is being built on the virtengine side.

The OpenSource edition is designed for the Private Cloud Industry, it doesn't include any form of billing - regions - containers - object storage - support and as you mentioned - automation.

It's more of a system that allows you to optimize the way you host your internal applications under your own infrastructure by offering Virtualization solutions & Platform as a Service solutions & Redundancy for your applications (High Availability/Load Balancing)

VirtEngine is a partnership between Megam.io & DETio Pty. Ltd. - https://www.megam.io/partners.html

We fund the project and also contribute towards its development.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

• jcloudsjclouds Member
    edited October 2016

@DETio said:
    The OpenSource edition is designed for the Private Cloud Industry, it doesn't include any form of billing - regions - containers - object storage - support and as you mentioned - automation.

It's more of a system that allows you to optimize the way you host your internal applications under your own infrastructure by offering Virtualization solutions & Platform as a Service solutions & Redundancy for your applications (High Availability/Load Balancing)

VirtEngine is a partnership between Megam.io & DETio Pty. Ltd. - https://www.megam.io/partners.html

We fund the project and also contribute towards its development.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Since you are partners, could you clarify the repo,
    https://github.com/megamsys/nilavu

You said that there is no billing, and regions?

The repo mentions

Are those mistakes on their part?

• AlexBarakov said: And to look from the other side - there is a huge percent of new hosting providers, who have 0 idea on what they are doing, from sys admin point of view, meaning that when solus breaks down (say, a slave server, KVM based), they will most likely have no clue on how to fix it as well.

Well, you were that 0 clue guy once:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/liquid-host-3-74-256mb-openvz-vps-in-seattle/

• FoulFoul Member
    edited October 2016

https://www.plesk.com/onyx/ Looks promising.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited October 2016

@jclouds said:
    The repo mentions

Are those mistakes on their part?

Yes you are correct, I updated the repository with clarification. You can check again :)

https://github.com/megamsys/nilavu

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

OpenNebula doesn't support Bare Metal and Hyper-V . OpenStack does.

• @leapswitch said:

OpenNebula supports Hyper-V: http://community.opennebula.org/ecosystem:hyperv

You are correct about Bare Metal however.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

DETio said: OpenNebula supports Hyper-V

According to https://forum.opennebula.org/t/microsoft-hyper-v-support/3088

Unfortunately, not currently.

Thanked by 1leapswitch
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@DETio said:

@leapswitch said:

OpenNebula supports Hyper-V: http://community.opennebula.org/ecosystem:hyperv

You are correct about Bare Metal however.

That was 2 major versions before current. It is no longer supported.

• People should also be looking at Virtuozzo 7 imo and how that fits into things. It runs on OpenStack (at least for KVM) but don't know if it works on the others. Possibly a good migration path forward because it can do both KVM and OVZ on the same node.

I kind of have a wait and see about it right now. Things are still kind of up in the air with the whole cloud thing imo.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

@moonmartin said:
    People should also be looking at Virtuozzo 7 imo and how that fits into things. It runs on OpenStack (at least for KVM) but don't know if it works on the others. Possibly a good migration path forward because it can do both KVM and OVZ on the same node.

I kind of have a wait and see about it right now. Things are still kind of up in the air with the whole cloud thing imo.

I've looked on it. 120 USD/month per node is a bit expensive, and without native WHMCS module

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited October 2016

@jmginer said:

@moonmartin said:
    People should also be looking at Virtuozzo 7 imo and how that fits into things. It runs on OpenStack (at least for KVM) but don't know if it works on the others. Possibly a good migration path forward because it can do both KVM and OVZ on the same node.

I've looked on it. 120 USD/month per node is a bit expensive, and without native WHMCS module

No, it's $0/month. You are looking at the paid version. The free version used to also be called Virtuozzo 7. Now I am looking on the OpenVZ site and they appear to be calling it OpenVZ 7 now. So I guess they decided to flip back to calling it OpenVZ.

• moonmartin said: No, it's $0/month. You are looking at the paid version. The free version used to also be called Virtuozzo 7. Now I am looking on the OpenVZ site and they appear to be calling it OpenVZ 7 now. So I guess they decided to flip back to calling it OpenVZ.

Yeah but Virtuozzo 7 for providers costs $120/mo, I've previously got in contact.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

@moonmartin

OpenVZ 7 is not the same as Virtuozzo 7.

For example, OpenVZ 7 has not the backup module (vzdump is no more available), if you want do VPS backups you need buy the Virtuozzo license.

Thanked by 1AndrewSSD
  • @jmginer said:
    @moonmartin

For example, OpenVZ 7 has not the backup module (vzdump is no more available), if you want do VPS backups you need buy the Virtuozzo license.

Couldn't you just compress the disk image and use that? (Vz 7 uses KVM iirc?)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

No, they simply have KVM as a supported option. AFAIK the new stuff is just a big virsh wrapper.

VZDump was never official either, it was developed by Proxmox.

Francisco

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited October 2016

@jmginer said:
    @moonmartin

Up until recently they were calling OpenVZ 7, Virtuozzo. They were at first going to call it Virtuozzo Core, I guess they realized it would cause confusion with the commercial version so appear to have gone back to calling it OpenVZ.

Yes I saw the comparison chart on the website too. It doesn't include commercial modules because it's the open source version. That is why one is free and the other is commercial. I don't think there is anything missing in OVZ 7 compared to the current OVZ.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited October 2016

I find OpenSource such as OpenStack/OpenNebula/CloudStack/ProxMox on top of your favorite hypervisor (such as KVM/Xen, etc.) to be the most efficient method of offering high end cloud services.

Virtuozzo powers OpenVZ 7 which can be implemented in the above, Virtuozzo itself is extremely expensive

Virtuozzo 7 Pricing for Providers

• FoulFoul Member
    edited October 2016

DETio said: Virtuozzo itself is extremely expensive

That's why you buy direct from a normal dc that has licenses for virtuozzo, it's cheap as hell.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Foul said: That's why you buy direct from a normal dc that has licenses for virtuozzo, it's cheap as hell.

Name one? I have not seen anyone offer cheap Virtuozzo licenses and I wanted to test it out recently.

• AlexBarakov said: Name one? I have not seen anyone offer cheap Virtuozzo licenses and I wanted to test it out recently.

Virtuozzo offers a 30day trial if you want to test it out;

Softlayer offers em for $65; according to my OS reload.

• @Foul said:

AlexBarakov said: Name one? I have not seen anyone offer cheap Virtuozzo licenses and I wanted to test it out recently.

Virtuozzo offers a 30day trial if you want to test it out;

Softlayer offers em for $65; according to my OS reload.

Yes but then your limited with Softlayers expensive hardware, this is not ideal for running your business on whatever hardware you want in order to cut costs.

$65/node is still pretty expensive in comparison to VirtEngine.

• Sorry but I rather trust virtuozzo over a software that hasn't been evaluated by a third party.

Actually it's not limited to sl hardware. The license can be applied to any server. I applied it to a server with cc and it works just fine.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Foul said: Sorry but I rather trust virtuozzo over a software that hasn't been evaluated by a third party.

I imagine they have had an external audit done, they do seem serious.

Thanked by 1DETio
  • @Foul said:
    Sorry but I rather trust virtuozzo over a software that hasn't been evaluated by a third party.

Sure, Virtuozzo is a mature company and is reliable - however the pricing scheme doesn't allow you to really run a competitive cloud business.

Regarding our security, we do third party security audits prior to major releases. We will be including a security audit with our November 1st 1.5 release.

• @DETio said:

@Foul said:
    Sorry but I rather trust virtuozzo over a software that hasn't been evaluated by a third party.

Sure, Virtuozzo is a mature company and is reliable - however the pricing scheme doesn't allow you to really run a competitive cloud business.

Regarding our security, we do third party security audits prior to major releases. We will be including a security audit with our November 1st 1.5 release.

So pretty much you're saying anybody using virtuozzo is losing money. Right. There are a lot of hosts out there are profitable using virtuozzo and they're extremely competitive.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited October 2016

@Foul said:

@DETio said:

@Foul said:

So pretty much you're saying anybody using virtuozzo is losing money. Right. There are a lot of hosts out there are profitable using virtuozzo and they're extremely competitive.

I didn't say everybody using Virtuozzo is losing money, of-course they can be profitable. But in order to be profitable they will need to either raise their pricing (or) lower profit margins, thus losing competitiveness.

Doing the calculations:

$140/mo/node with the following hypervisors:

E3-XXXX Processor

32GB Ram

Virtuozzo: $4.375/GB of Ram

VirtEngine Minified: $0.25/GB of Ram

VirtEngine Complete: $0.5/GB of Ram

L5XXX Processor

96GB Ram

Virtuozzo: $1.5/GB of Ram

VirtEngine Minified: $0.1666/GB of Ram

VirtEngine Complete: $0.333/GB of Ram

E5-XXXX Processor

128GB Ram

Virtuozzo: $1.1/GB of Ram

VirtEngine Minified: $0.125/GB of Ram

VirtEngine Complete: $0.25/GB of Ram

The only use-case I see Virtuozzo being profitable is when a provider might use really large servers (128GB+)