Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Versatile IT is expanding and your input is needed. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Versatile IT is expanding and your input is needed.

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

@ihatetonyy said: ETA for the public being able to jump on board?

Once the server is deployed I will run it through some tests and let it burn in for a few days at full load then I will let everyone in. Can't wait!

@DomainBop said: Sydney and Melbourne have pretty good pings to Australia too :P

I have been looking into getting something going down here but the DCs are just being a pain with IP pricing and wanted to charge me $200/month to advertise my own range. I was talking to one DC and actually hung the phone up on them. Mind you I did call them back to apologise.

The thing that I hate here though is that their are so little publicly accessible datacenters they don't really have to compete with each other thus the prices are still extremely high

@DomainBop said: XO directly or ColoCrossing in XO's DC on the 12th floor?

Not 100% on this one. All I was told is it will be deployed in the XO DC in 111 Eighth Avenue. I will get this confirmed for you though.

• I'm sad I didn't see this earlier, but glad that the decisions came out the way they did. NY is close to me, and I like the smaller plans as well. I do already have a lot of VPSes, but a deal like this might be a nice addition to the collection.

One thing I'm wondering: will it have IPv6? If it does, I may actually be able to buy it with a legitimate use in mind, which is rare :)

edited April 2013

@DStrout said: will it have IPv6?

99.99% sure it will. The infrastructure is in place in the DC and they have an allocation so if they don't give me one I will kick up a fuss until they do. I believe IPv6 is the future and no web services should be sold without it.

• tech163tech163 Member
    edited April 2013

Amount of bandwidth for $15/year? Also whom are you buying the server from?

• @trewq said: Once the server is deployed I will run it through some tests and let it burn in for a few days at full load then I will let everyone in. Can't wait!

YES.

Will this come with IPv6?

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

@trewq said: I believe IPv6 is the future and no web services should be sold without it.

Hear, hear! Now if residential ISPs here in the States could figure that out, we'd be in good shape. Just curious, how is overall IPv6 deployment down under, especially residentially (outside the DC)?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@DStrout said: Hear, hear! Now if residential ISPs here in the States could figure that out, we'd be in good shape. Just curious, how is overall IPv6 deployment down under, especially residentially (outside the DC)?

Comcast here in PA has deployed IPv6 (probably only good thing they ever did)

edited April 2013

@tech163 said: Amount of bandwidth for $15/year? Also whom are you buying the server from?

Someone I have developed a relationship with in the US who has access to a rack.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't even answer your first question. Unsure yet, still need to work through all that. Most likely 100-300GB with options to upgrade.

@HalfEatenPie said: Will this come with IPv6?

Mentioned about that above and will get it confirmed.

@DStrout said: Hear, hear! Now if residential ISPs here in the States could figure that out, we'd be in good shape.

I wish that was the case here. The second biggest ISP here has it active from the get go the largest doesn't have it at all which really annoys me when I go to my girlfriends place.

• @trewq said: Mentioned about that above and will get it confirmed.

Oh yeah sorry wasn't really paying too much attention.

• @HalfEatenPie I know Comcast does it (but AFAIK mostly for new(er) customers), but they are one of the few, and as you hinted, they're generally not well liked. Either way, I'm not on Comcast, so I have to tunnel with GoGoClient through Montreal, which often causes LOL (lots of latency) and the occasional "YouTube can't play this video in your country". But that's a rant for another thread. We might be switching to Comcast soon, but I definitely have mixed feelings about that switch for the aforementioned reasons.

Anyway, glad to hear things are going well for you @trewq. Looking forward to your new offerings. Good luck!

@DStrout Thanks! I will post back here with a benchmark once it is all up and running.

• @DStrout said: I'm not on Comcast, so I have to tunnel with GoGoClient through Montreal,

Why don't you just purchase a VPS with IPv6 enabled and create a IPv6 tunnel with it? Hell install dd-wrt onto your home router and have that tunnel all traffic to your VPS via OpenVPN.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

@HalfEatenPie - If it were just up to me, I'd get fancier, but there's six people behind the router, so my parents don't want me to touch it.

• You should consider something in the Northwest. Like Portland, OR or Seattle, WA. I've also got my basement, with fully redundant power grid power, natural water cooling (thanks rainstorms!), 18 Mbps down/2 Mbps up High Grade Industrial Cable Internet, and 24 hour support. Only $100 per month!

Just for those that are interested I pulled the plug on the deal that I made. After I handed over the money I was not getting replies for over 24 hours and server was never actually setup. I do not want to have a server somewhere were someone I pay is not able to get to it within half an hour of me saying something to them.

I will endeavour to get a NY location up and running but it may take more time.

• @trewq it's XO. Enough said. Thought you'd have heard the stories on their hosting.

@concerto49 said: Thought you'd have heard the stories on their hosting.

Oh I had, they were just being very responsive and seemed to want my business. Then once money crossed hand it all went downhill so I decided to pull out.

• @trewq said: Just for those that are interested I pulled the plug on the deal that I made. After I handed over the money I was not getting replies for over 24 hours and server was never actually setup. I do not want to have a server somewhere were someone I pay is not able to get to it within half an hour of me saying something to them.

I will endeavour to get a NY location up and running but it may take more time.

Assuming you ordered on Friday/Saturday and today is Sunday, I am pretty sure sales were not working or your server was in que for monday morning techs.

Could be wrong.

@NHRoel said: Assuming you ordered on Friday/Saturday and today is Sunday, I am pretty sure sales were not working or your server was in que for monday morning techs.

Ordered when it was Wednesday there. Didn't get update on anything. The datacenter I work with at the moment in Dallas will deploy a server for me at 3am if I need it.

I know this is high expectations but I am not going to allow for my clients to have sub-par service.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

Just for those that are interested I pulled the plug on the deal that I made. After I handed over the money I was not getting replies for over 24 hours and server was never actually setup

Not surprising if you were buying from who I think you were buying from. Was this by any chance one of their current WHT 72GB $79 L5520 specials?

Yes, except I was in private communications with one of their staff. As all that was a year ago I was hoping they had improved but nope. Oh well, I will find somewhere :)

• @trewq said: Oh I had, they were just being very responsive and seemed to want my business. Then once money crossed hand it all went downhill so I decided to pull out.

Everyone wants business, including gangsters and drug dealers. So? That's how it all works right? Heavy handed marketing and sales guys to lure you in.

@concerto49 said: Everyone wants business, including gangsters and drug dealers. So? That's how it all works right? Heavy handed marketing and sales guys to lure you in.

I was just explaining why I thought they had changed as I had seen in other threads that they had not even replied to sales tickets.

We are just going to focus on 128MB at $10/year and introduce some 256MB at a cheap yearly rate in Dallas for the time being while we look at other expansion options.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Which one of the following would you guys like to see more?

3GB RAM plan with 80GB HDD and 3TB bandwidth @ 1Gbps for $25/quarter

or

1GB RAM plan with 30GB HDD and 1TB bandwidth @ 1Gbps for $30-40/year

or

256MB plan with 10GB HDD and 150GB bandwidth @ 1Gbps for $15-20/year

These are the plans I have worked out will be viable for the future.

Any input anyone has would be amazing.

• Still in favor of the 256MB (or anything small) plans.

• I really like the 1GB, but I would like 512 with 10GB and 3TB for whatever price you see fit.

Especially if you can take this to NYC.

@ihatetonyy said: Especially if you can take this to NYC.

Looks like NYC is out of the picture for the time being. Once we get to a stage where we can apply for our own IP blocks then we will expand to NYC.

These plans will be in Chicago.

• ColoCrossing, Continuum, or..?

edited April 2013

Continuum wouldn't touch ColoCrossing with a 10 meter pole.

• @trewq said: These plans will be in Chicago.

It's not going to have such a great distinction from Texas that you already have.